Daft questions (football edition)

Decky

Is it right that substitutions can only be made in regulation time, meaning if Costa Rica had kept the ball right til the end, the Netherlands would not have been able to send Krul on for the penalty shootout after the final whistle?

Is it right that substitutions can only be made in regulation time, meaning if Costa Rica had kept the ball right til the end, the Netherlands would not have been able to send Krul on for the penalty shootout after the final whistle?

absolutely correct, i say with no conviction whatsoever

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/federation/laws_of_the_game_0708_10565.pdf pages 54 & 55

If a goalkeeper is injured during kicks being taken then he can be subbed, provided the team has a substitution remaining.

A goalkeeper who is injured while kicks are being taken from the penalty mark and is unable to continue as goalkeeper may be

replaced by a named substitute provided his team has not used the maximum number of substitutes permitted under the competition

rules

Barring that:

With the exception of the foregoing case, only players who are on the field of play at the end of the match, which includes extra

time where appropriate, are allowed to take kicks from the penalty mark

So yes, you're correct, Krul would not have been able to come on in anything but under the guise of poor sportsmanship after Cillessen fakes an injury.

Some other eligible Dutch player would have had to play in goal. And I think a Costa Rican player would have to be taken off to keep numbers equal?

edit:nope, nothing about that happening during kicks - a player would be taken off only before they started the kicks. I think the NL would just have 1 less player to take kicks.

What would have happened if after the substitution, Krul had got booked twice in the shoot-out for ungentlemanly conduct or whatever?

same as in the game, dutch would have to nominate an 'active' player to go in goals

This just brought back beautiful memories on Enrique putting those gloves on.

Thoughts on Alan Hansen's retirement from MOTD?

I think he'll be a great loss. Great player in his day and then virtually straight into punditry and even though he talks bollocks at times, don't we all, he's always been a voice to be respected.

• 1 month later...

Short corners.

I've never got this fully. You have the chance of a free cross into the area. Why do so many teams give up this chance? I see SO many teams simply pass it short, run about a bit and either lose the ball or pass it back to the half way line. Top teams even do it. It's the equivalent of a winger getting into a good position behind the defence ready to cross then turning round and passing it back to the centre backs. I DON'T GET IT it's infuriating and it's fucking stupid.

This, of course, doesn't apply to teams who obviously have a successful, planned short corner routine.

Short corners.

I've never got this fully. You have the chance of a free cross into the area. Why do so many teams give up this chance? I see SO many teams simply pass it short, run about a bit and either lose the ball or pass it back to the half way line. Top teams even do it. It's the equivalent of a winger getting into a good position behind the defence ready to cross then turning round and passing it back to the centre backs. I DON'T GET IT it's infuriating and it's fucking stupid.

This, of course, doesn't apply to teams who obviously have a successful, planned short corner routine.

That numbers game book said that it would be more beneficial to always take your corners short as you concede as many goals from the other team countering after the corner as you do yourself from the corner or something along those lines