Daft questions (football edition)

Decky

• 2 months later...

I think that we are one of them, but how many clubs in the top two divisions have no branding/writing/logos as part of the seating ?

Etihad doesn't, does it?

Cant think of many others.

Ah, yeah. Etihad. I hadn't thought of that one :thup:

the bbc have an african footballer of the year award, do they have asian/south american etc. as well?

There's a BBC Africa department, because of colonial and linguistic links. That's where the award is from. There is no BBC South America or BBC Asia.

• 2 weeks later...

Apart from loving the Daily Mail, why do people listen to Talksport? Pure aural aids.

There's a few decent shows and presenters on there.  Adrian Durham, Colin Murray, Collymore, Jason Cundy and the other fella late on at night (with Bobby Gould too sometimes) can be pretty funny at times.  There is a lot of shite on anarl like.  Alan Brazil is probably the worst of the regulars, just a massive bellend.

Apart from loving the Daily Mail, why do people listen to Talksport? Pure aural aids.

There's a few decent shows and presenters on there.  Adrian Durham, Colin Murray, Collymore, Jason Cundy and the other fella late on at night (with Bobby Gould too sometimes) can be pretty funny at times.  There is a lot of s**** on anarl like.  Alan Brazil is probably the worst of the regulars, just a massive bellend.

I thought Murray and Collymore left after it was bought by Newscorp ?

Their European Football Stuff is canny with Andy Brassell, Paolo Bandini and guests but I can't say I've ever wanted to tune in when they've got knackers like Adrian Durham and Jim White on.

Not sure where I'm supposed to post this as couldn't find a link for the actual game up yet.

Blues away next weekend, being a Newcastle fan from the Midlands I was thinking about going to this game. Am I right in saying that if I want to go, I have to pay £35 for membership, then another £20 for my match ticket?

Not sure where I'm supposed to post this as couldn't find a link for the actual game up yet.

Blues away next weekend, being a Newcastle fan from the Midlands I was thinking about going to this game. Am I right in saying that if I want to go, I have to pay £35 for membership, then another £20 for my match ticket?

Correct, unless NUFC release the tickets on general sale.

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php?board=18.0

Why do linesman stand on the side of the pitch that they do?

Why not on the opposite side?

Would it matter?

Not at all, just wondered if there was a reason for them standing where they do.

Where do they stand?

Positioning and responsibilities

The predominant system of positioning and division of responsibility used by football match officials throughout the world is known as the Diagonal system of control.

Diagram of the diagonal system of control showing the paths of the Referee ® and the Assistant Referees (AR)

The referee has final decision-making authority on all matters. The referee is assisted by two assistant referees who advise the referee. An assistant referee's judgement is only enforced if the referee accepts that judgement, and the referee has the authority to unilaterally overrule an assistant referee. The referee is the only official empowered with starting and stopping play, and meting out disciplinary actions such as cautions or send-offs.

The two assistant referees are instructed by the referee to each patrol half of a single touchline on opposite sides of the field. For example, on a field running north-south, one assistant referee (AR) would run on the eastern touchline from the north goal line to the halfway line, while the other assistant referee would run on the western touchline from the south goal line to the halfway line. In general, the assistant referees' duties would be to indicate (using their flags): when an offside offence has occurred in their half, when a ball has left the pitch, and if a foul has been executed out of the view of the referee (typically in their quadrant of the field). Generally, the ARs will position themselves in line with either the second to last opponent or the ball – whichever is closer to the goal line – to better judge offside infractions. However, the assistant referee will have specific positioning with respect to corner kicks, penalty kick, and throw-ins.

The referee patrols the length of the field to cover the ground not covered by his two assistants, generally running in a diagonal pattern from the southeast quadrant of the field towards the northwest quadrant; hence the term "diagonal system of control". Note that this pattern is not a specific route but a general guideline that should be modified to the style of play, nature of the game, the location of play at a given time, etc. In some cases the referee may even exit the field if it aids in his decision-making ability. The main idea is that the referee and assistants using the DSC should be able to position themselves quickly and easily to observe the important aspects of play (offside, ball in or out of play, goal-scoring opportunities, challenges for the ball) from multiple angles with multiple sets of eyes.

Note that the description above refers to a left diagonal system of control, known as "running a left" or "standard diagonal". If, before the match, the center referee on this field decides to run from southwest to northeast, then the assistants must position themselves accordingly and the result will be a right diagonal system of control, otherwise referred to as "running a right" or "reverse diagonal".

In many cases in the UK, referees now use more of a 'curve' based on a line running from the edge of the 18 yard box, and when near the centre circle they then curve to a line level with the other 18 yard box line. This is similar to the diagonal system, but with the speed of modern football it is easier to keep up with play.

In international matches the left-wing diagonal shown above has been universal since the 1960s. It is now predominant across the world. England until recently was an exception to this convention. Until 1974 referees in the Football League were required to run both diagonals during a match, most opting to run from right wing to right wing in the first half before switching to the left-wing diagonal for the second half. The chief reason for this alternation was to avoid linesmen wearing down the same part of the touchline during matches – this was important given the generally lower quality of pitches at the time. However switching diagonal was also justified in terms of allowing officials to patrol different areas of the field during games. From the 1974–75 season English referees were allowed to run the same diagonal throughout the same match. Most initially opted for the right-wing diagonal although over the years the left-wing diagonal became increasingly popular and the preferred choice of most referees by the early 2000s. From 2007–08 the left-wing diagonal has been mandatory in English professional football although some referees at lower levels still use the opposite approach.

Its implementation as a standard practice for referees is attributed to Sir Stanley Rous, former referee and President of FIFA from 1961 to 1974.[13]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Referee_(association_football)#Positioning_and_responsibilities

Well that's a mess. :lol: Just use the link.