Daft questions (football edition)

Decky

Was about to ask this in the Pardew thread but guess it's better off in here.

What do managers see in taking the players somewhere for a warm break in the winter? It may lift spirits for the couple of days they're there but I can't help but think the shock of such different weather can't be a benefit?

As penalty shoot-outs have been changed on the basis that one team going before the other gives an unfair advantage, should all league games not kick off at the same time on the same day as playing before another team (or having another days rest) can give an unfair advantage too?

Not really serious, just think the penalty rule change is stupid as fuck  :lol:

I think the shootout rule change is good.

I noticed years ago - when I was obsessed with football rather than just fairly interested as I am now - that the team going first seemed to win more often. 6/10 times or whatever it is is too statistically significant to ignore. This is one of the only recent rule changes I've been bang into, as a it's a quick win in terms of eliminating an unfair advantage in a situation where the 2 teams couldn't previously be separated.

The shootout itself is a bit confusing to follow for the time being but that should change after a few years once we're all used to it.

It's most likely just not practical. The performance benefits only last a matter of weeks after returning to low altitude. Nowt stopping them using an environmental chamber though. I'd imagine some footballers already do this of their own accord. 

Do any mid season warm weather training camps/team building exercises go well. Notes went to New York with Mackems as Sunderland were laying off staff. They always seem to back fire.

"He's scored with his first shot on target"

Heard this a couple of times today, is it really that good? First shot or touch, yeah. But he's had 1 or more shots before that, which flew into the Stands. Is it meant to be a swipe at the keeper for not saving it? The same people would probably be throwing in the old "He's at least got to hit the target," or "He's almost hit it too well" in the same game.

Heard commentator in Man U game last night say

"Luke Shaw is yet to score in senior football..."

then clarify by saying "he hasn't scored for Southampton, or Man United yet.."

Yeah, senior football we get it  :huff:

England too

***Brazilian Player Alert***

Flip, what are your thoughts on Lucas Moura?

From what I've seen of him seems talented enough. Shades of fancy Brazilian that looks world class on Youtube, but not quite there on the pitch.

Stats wise, and my general take on him would be that he didn't effect games anywhere near the levels that the 'hype' surrounding him would lead us to think. A lot of talent, but will needs add goals and a ruthless nature to his game. Something that even in a PSG side, playing in a weak league hasn't really been achieved.

Every time I watch Son I think he's awful, but he proves me wrong every time and actually delivers and has scored a lot of goals. So Moura for me has to up his game some way to match that to get in the side. Start of next season, after these few months and a pre-season under Poch will be a better time to judge.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest neesy111

On a football pitch, what are the markings 10yards from the corner flag, running off the sideline for? What are they used for exactly?

2000px-Football_pitch_metric_and_imperial.svg.png

Distance for players to be away from the ball on a corner.  They are optional apparently, go guide for the referee and linesman.

On a football pitch, what are the markings 10yards from the corner flag, running off the sideline for? What are they used for exactly?

2000px-Football_pitch_metric_and_imperial.svg.png

Distance for players to be away from the ball on a corner.  They are optional apparently, go guide for the referee and linesman.

That makes sense! Been wondering for years, cheers

Will finally sleep safe knowing this now  :D

• 4 weeks later...

Down in London next month and Fulham/QPR/AFC Wimbledon are all at home when I've got time to kill in the evening.

How much of a fuck on is it get to each of them from central London? Trying to assess whether I'll be arsed nearer the time.

Down in London next month and Fulham/QPR/AFC Wimbledon are all at home when I've got time to kill in the evening.

How much of a fuck on is it get to each of them from central London? Trying to assess whether I'll be arsed nearer the time.

Fulham and QPR are a piece of piss. Wimbledon a bit tougher. If I were you I'd do Fulham, really nice area, some good pubs, and you can walk to the game along the river (or at least, you used to be able to).