Daft questions (football edition)

Decky

• 2 weeks later...

can any player on the pitch at the time, play goalkeeper if they switch jerseys?  that probably reads awkwardly, but what i really mean is, does it have to be the designated goalkeeper between the sticks for a penalty kick?

can any player on the pitch at the time, play goalkeeper if they switch jerseys?  that probably reads awkwardly, but what i really mean is, does it have to be the designated goalkeeper between the sticks for a penalty kick?

There must always be one player designated to be the keeper (I.e. The one who can use there hands within their penalty area) but that does not mean that they cannot play elsewhere. Nothing to stop them coming up for a corner.

Any active player can swap to be the keeper by changing into the keeper jersey but they MUST advise the referee they are doing so. The act of changing jerseys does not qualify as "advising" other referee.

Technically any player could change positions with the initially designated keeper for a penalty kick, and then change back. As long as the referee is advised of each change.

Can you make a substitution once time is up and before the shootout? I thought not, but don't know about the above.

Nah, you've got to use the players on the pitch at the end. Hence the Krul thing. He came on with seconds remaining.

You can't take a throw in with gloves on so you shouldn't be allowed to head the ball wearing a fanny hat.

Who says you can't take a throw in with gloves on? It's not in any fifa rules is it?

I assumed it was in the fifa rules as I've seen referees make players remove gloves to take a throw in.

I used to subscribe to a payed web service from a cable company here in Sweden where I could stream all our games (or other games if I so wished), including the ones at 3pm on Saturdays. Two or so years ago they got new guidelines from the PL (or something) which meant they could only show 1 game at 3pm on Saturdays. This meant that I very rarely could watch us play on Saturdays since we're not one of the top/most popular teams and hence other matches were favoured, so I canceled my subscription as it wasn't worth it anymore.

I read somewhere that the reason they do not show PL games at 3pm on Saturdays in England is that it would have a negative impact on lower league attendances as people would stay home and watch TV instead of going to see their local teams play. I can see the reasoning behind this, but why are the games not shown in other countries? It won't make me fly to England to watch our game like :lol:

Is it because some pubs used foreign satellite tv companies to broadcast games cheaper? Or what is the reason? If so, surely the money they lose on customers cancelling cable/satellite subscriptions, and losing interest in their team/the PL because they can't watch their teams play, outweighs the money lost on pubs using some "greek" satellite company (I assume that "greek" company have already payed Sky for the PL rights)? Or am I over estimating the amount of people who see this as a problem? :)

tl;dr: Why can't other European countries show more than 1 game on tv at 3pm on Saturdays?

I used to subscribe to a payed web service from a cable company here in Sweden where I could stream all our games (or other games if I so wished), including the ones at 3pm on Saturdays. Two or so years ago they got new guidelines from the PL (or something) which meant they could only show 1 game at 3pm on Saturdays. This meant that I very rarely could watch us play on Saturdays since we're not one of the top/most popular teams and hence other matches were favoured, so I canceled my subscription as it wasn't worth it anymore.

I read somewhere that the reason they do not show PL games at 3pm on Saturdays in England is that it would have a negative impact on lower league attendances as people would stay home and watch TV instead of going to see their local teams play. I can see the reasoning behind this, but why are the games not shown in other countries? It won't make me fly to England to watch our game like :lol:

Is it because some pubs used foreign satellite tv companies to broadcast games cheaper? Or what is the reason? If so, surely the money they lose on customers cancelling cable/satellite subscriptions, and losing interest in their team/the PL because they can't watch their teams play, outweighs the money lost on pubs using some "greek" satellite company (I assume that "greek" company have already payed Sky for the PL rights)? Or am I over estimating the amount of people who see this as a problem? :)

tl;dr: Why the f*** can't other European countries show more than 1 game on tv at 3pm on Saturdays?

A very long and complex situation which basically boils down to the fact that the TV rights for the Premier League cost an absolute fortune to buy, the PL want to keep the prices as high as possible so they restrict who can show matches live.

They've proven in other European leagues (cant remember which, I think Germany?) in which nearly every match is shown live on TV but it has very little/no effect on attendances.

• 2 weeks later...

If Chelsea win the Champions League and either Man Utd or Liverpool win the Europa League - would this affect 1st - 4th qualifying for the Champions League?

As both the winners of the Champions League and Europa both qualify now, surely we wouldn't be allowed 6 teams in the Champions League?

I cant remember what was done after that time Liverpool won it and stopped Everton from qualifying...

If Chelsea win the Champions League and either Man Utd or Liverpool win the Europa League - would this affect 1st - 4th qualifying for the Champions League?

As both the winners of the Champions League and Europa both qualify now, surely we wouldn't be allowed 6 teams in the Champions League?

I cant remember what was done after that time Liverpool won it and stopped Everton from qualifying...

Pretty sure after Chelsea ruined Spurs 4th place finish they changed the rule so that a CL winner doesn't take a spot from a league qualifier. I don't know what the Europe League rule is - you'd think it would be the same as above, which would then put 6 teams, but who knows.

You can swap, but I've got a feeling you can't do it before the penalty is taken (unless the keeper is injured or sent off)

Is Djorkaeff still the only answer to that 'who's played in the French, German, Italian & English leagues? Guessing after all this time he surely can't be. :lol:

Klinsmann for a start.

That can't have been the question. Sure it was similar though?

David Rozehnal is another. :lol:

Is Djorkaeff still the only answer to that 'who's played in the French, German, Italian & English leagues? Guessing after all this time he surely can't be. :lol:

Klinsmann for a start.

Christian Poulsen has played in all four plus Spain and Holland.

Klinsmann for a start.

Christian Poulsen has played in all four plus Spain and Holland.

Wouldn't have wiki'd his name to check in a million years. :lol: