Your worst visit to an away ground?

Guest michaelfoster

sheffield united last season  drank about 4 special k's before kick off next thing i know i wake up in sheffield hospital about 3am with no money and my train tickets are out of date.

Ended up speaking to some hobo  in the hospital  and some other bloke who claimed to be joe calzaghe's trainer.

spent the journey home in the toilets

Sheffield is full of bullshitters mate, i spoke to a guy in the bookies who claimed he was friends with Che Guevara, knew Pele and was best friends with Kyle Naughton (I think he did know him though)

Guest johnson293

Used to go to quite a few away games in the early 90's when we were in the 2nd division (Derby, Port Vale, Hull, Leicester to name a few), and things have always been good... however the only time I've felt 'uneasy' at an away ground was coming away from Ayresome Park in 1992.

Went down on the wednesday night for the 2nd leg of the League Cup tie. We were in the first division, and Burra were in the Premier League, which their DJ ('Me, Mark Page') took great pleasure in reminding us, at any opportunity.

Anyway, we won 3-1 and then had to get out of Burra.

We were sat in a car stuck in queues of traffic trying to get out of the side streets near the ground when a large group of Burra supporters came down, banging on all the cars as they passed, making gestures and being threatening.

Then they came to a white transit pulling out of a side street in front of us, and started banging on that.... suddenly the side door flew open and a load of Newcastle fans emerged and the Burra fans ran off, with the toon fans giving chase.

Those moments in the car were worrying though.

Never been to SoS though, but I understand that can be dodgy with the subways and routes to / around the ground.

Incidentally getting tonked off Wimbledon  at Selhurst Park when Ruel Fox made his debut was shite.

Fucking Mike Hooper.

He's a doorman in Chester-le-Street now

South Yorkshire police also used to render any trip to Sheffield grounds an unpleasant experience. Deliberately barging into you, trying to provoke stuff, arseholes. West Midlands police were the same, too.

I've heard scousers say the same.

Don't scousers just barge into each other in South Yorkshire?

Used to go to quite a few away games in the early 90's when we were in the 2nd division (Derby, Port Vale, Hull, Leicester to name a few), and things have always been good... however the only time I've felt 'uneasy' at an away ground was coming away from Ayresome Park in 1992.

Ayresome Park used to be a nasty, intimidating place to go to.

There's probably no better illustration of how English grounds (and football) have changed than comparing a trip there to Boro's current ground, which is about as intimidating as a trip to Homebase on a non 10 percent day Friday.

Had some absolute shockers this season alone tbh. West Brom, Villa and Stoke were all abit shit.

West Brom was fucking FREEZING and one of the shittest performances i've seen from NUFC in a while. Me and a mate didnt have enough money for a taxi so had to wait 40 fucking minutes for a train from some shitty station near the ground to new street.

Villa, well, i've been to Villa 3 times now and not seen us win. Once we got beaten 4-1 and Jon Carew got a hattrick. Once we got relegated. And the other was this seasons game. 3 absolutely disgraceful performances. was a rubbish day aswell.

Stoke was fucking cack for many reasons.

Forest away last year was reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllly shit too.

South Yorkshire police also used to render any trip to Sheffield grounds an unpleasant experience. Deliberately barging into you, trying to provoke stuff, arseholes. West Midlands police were the same, too.

Fucking hell...  :facepalm:

Ayresome Park used to be a nasty, intimidating place to go to.

There's probably no better illustration of how English grounds (and football) have changed than comparing a trip there to Boro's current ground, which is about as intimidating as a trip to Homebase on a non 10 percent day Friday.

carlisle was iften trouble aswell.

my worst was probably boro when we had a bunch of kids playing and got beat 3-0. most away games are a cracking day out regardless of the result due to the beer 'n' banter but this was a drive down sober straight from work, straight into the ground, shit performance, verbal grief on the way out and drive straight home.

Well the first one you posted is at St. James' Park.

Touchy

Just saying.

I was at the game, horrible game and atmosphere in the away end, arguments and fights breaking out over Souness ffs.

Incidentally getting tonked off Wimbledon  at Selhurst Park when Ruel Fox made his debut was shite.

Fucking Mike Hooper.

He's a doorman in Chester-le-Street now

If he works the door like he kept goal,he'll let anything in.

A good few hammerings at Anfield/Goodison in the 80's...always good craic but on the pitch it was murder. Boro away in 89/90, final day of the season, got hammered 4-1 and walked the gamut of the in-breds outside, horrible place. Coventry in 99, also a 4-1 hammering and got threatened a couple of times outside and on the train as well by some drunken tw*ts. My one and only visit to Wembley to see the Toon should have been a great day...except Manure hammered us 4-0 in the charity shield and then the heavens opened outside and got stuck in roadworks on the A1 on the way home, didn't get back until 3am. Had to be up at 6 to start a new job anaal...great fun.

Christ, man

Sheff United was ridiculous. I live here for uni and police were trying to force us towards the station afterwards despite this fact;

SYP - "The station is that way mate..."

Me - "I live here..."

SYP - "If you walk that way you can avoid home fans..."

Me - "I know where im going, I live here..."

SYP - "that way will miss out traffic"

Me - "ok, but i live here..."

stupid arrogant yorkshire shit accent!

Sheff United was ridiculous. I live here for uni and police were trying to force us towards the station afterwards despite this fact;

SYP - "The station is that way mate..."

Me - "I live here..."

SYP - "If you walk that way you can avoid home fans..."

Me - "I know where im going, I live here..."

SYP - "that way will miss out traffic"

Me - "ok, but i live here..."

stupid arrogant yorkshire s*** accent!

i've had many an argument with the police at away games trying to force us into going where we don't want to go.

I used to live a couple of streets away from old Ayresome Park and it wasn't that bad (I was at Teesside Uni for 4 years) Honestly before Robson turned up, you would see more Toon shirts than Boro around the town centre on any given day. I never had any grief down there as a Mag - just my own experience though.

Guest BooBoo

I used to live a couple of streets away from old Ayresome Park and it wasn't that bad (I was at Teesside Uni for 4 years) Honestly before Robson turned up, you would see more Toon shirts than Boro around the town centre on any given day. I never had any grief down there as a Mag - just my own experience though.

I've been undercover in Boro bars a few times when we've been at the Riverside. As long as you dont wear colours and keep your head down, it's no bother.

It's probably Sunderland away when we lost 2-1. Obvious reasons really. I don't think I've ever really had any bad visits other than that one. That's simply because you expect to be beaten most of the time, and you often do...it's different when it's the scum though.

Guest jeffers09

sheffield united last season  drank about 4 special k's before kick off next thing i know i wake up in sheffield hospital about 3am with no money and my train tickets are out of date.

Ended up speaking to some hobo  in the hospital  and some other bloke who claimed to be joe calzaghe's trainer.

spent the journey home in the toilets

That sounds like a story you need to expand on!

I could write a book on that day to be honest mate.