NUFC summer activity prediction thread

Pilko

Not overly thrilled at the minute. Regardless of who we are bringing in, not sealing new deals for any of Enrique, Nolan or Barton would be very bad.

Cabaye is a good start but mooted deals for Ba, Erdinc and Neil Taylor are all fairly underwhelming. Let's not kid ourselves that we don't have the funds to get in players of a better calibre. This smacks of the usual exploitation of the free transfer/ unusual contract quirk that Ashley excels at.

We've got the funds (proven by the Gameiro bid), it's just a matter of attracting these better calibre players. We'll still get good players without a doubt.

How come people aren't happy so far? So far we have signed 2 players, though one of those is a youngster. Not only that but we are progressing well with other targets and are showing an intent. Sure I've not heard of most players we have been linked with, but I trust our scouting system now. We aren't even into mid June and we are progressing well on the transfer front while others teams won't even start for another month.

Probably could be the best, most positive and most productive window under Ashley yet. Looks to be that way, although I'm not gonna strut about confidently just yet, or anytime soon as long as we're under this female genitalia.

How come people aren't happy so far? So far we have signed 2 players, though one of those is a youngster. Not only that but we are progressing well with other targets and are showing an intent. Sure I've not heard of most players we have been linked with, but I trust our scouting system now. We aren't even into mid June and we are progressing well on the transfer front while others teams won't even start for another month.

Because they've already decided whatever happens, they will find a way to complain about it and relate it back to the priceless super striker that is Andrew Carroll.

Guest BooBoo

I'm mainly disappointed by the fact that three of our most important players will be disillusioned with contractual issues and we are targetting players who very much represent a big gamble. The club did the same in 1988 when Gazza was sold: we bought players that everyone thought would do well but they all pretty much flopped and the season ended in relegation. If we lose the lynchpins of the club and replace them with imports with little feel for the club, then it could all turn sour very quickly.

For me the shambolic Nolan and Barton contract disputes more than counterbalance the two players we have brought in thus far.

I don't care how much we spend, as long as those we do bring in do the business.

This is a false dichotomy though Jonny.

Nobody has ever said we should spend money for the sake of it but if you get your targets for £10m cheaper than you originally planned, the attitude should be "What can we improve with this extra £10m?", not "Get in, saved a few quid there". By the same token, we shouldn't settle for second best. If Ba is the very best we can do, fair enough. Is he? With that money? With his knees? Happy for him to come in but not as our big hope.

I also don't agree that we should be "pushing for a top 8/10 place" given that if the season had finished five minutes earlier, we would have been 9th. If we're going to target anything but winning the league (don't laugh), it should be Liverpool and Spurs, certainly Everton. With £35m + the money that a Premiership club of 50k attendances turns over and should be using for transfers on a regular basis, I don't see that as an unrealistic achievement.

Can't even be arsed. Carroll cost us nowt.

would you rather we didnt sell carrol and didnt buy anyone? or sell carrol and replace with Cabaye, Ba, Erdinc, Taylot, and a few others?

there is another alternative, contrary to what you've been told

I don't care how much we spend, as long as those we do bring in do the business.

This is a false dichotomy though Jonny.

Nobody has ever said we should spend money for the sake of it but if you get your targets for £10m cheaper than you originally planned, the attitude should be "What can we improve with this extra £10m?", not "Get in, saved a few quid there". By the same token, we shouldn't settle for second best. If Ba is the very best we can do, fair enough. Is he? With that money? With his knees? Happy for him to come in but not as our big hope.

I also don't agree that we should be "pushing for a top 8/10 place" given that if the season had finished five minutes earlier, we would have been 9th. If we're going to target anything but winning the league (don't laugh), it should be Liverpool and Spurs, certainly Everton. With £35m + the money that a Premiership club of 50k attendances turns over and should be using for transfers on a regular basis, I don't see that as an unrealistic achievement.

And that's where you start getting the likes of Nolan & Barton replaced in the first-team squad because they're simply better players. I'm sure Pardew has areas he's earmarked, if it comes to less than that then great, but you don't go about unsettling your plans, squad, etc. just for the sake of saying, "well we've got this £10m lying around, let's by another player".

I just don't think things happen overnight.

The squad won't be finished and perfected this Summer, or even this season. Everton and Bolton and the likes have already shown that it's hard to consistently break Spurs/Liverpool. We'll not do it in one year, with or without 35m.

The more players we can get with a bit of quality with less money spent, the better. Saving a few quid is a good thing, because it means it's there if Pardew suddenly finds a player he wants on August 30th, or a player suddenly becomes available, the money is there to spend.

I just don't think things happen overnight.

The squad won't be finished and perfected this Summer, or even this season. Everton and Bolton and the likes have already shown that it's hard to consistently break Spurs/Liverpool. We'll not do it in one year, with or without 35m.

The more players we can get with a bit of quality with less money spent, the better. Saving a few quid is a good thing, because it means it's there if Pardew suddenly finds a player he wants on August 30th, or a player suddenly becomes available, the money is there to spend.

That's not a sensible way to conduct transfer activity imo. I'd rather just get the best now rather than hoping a second best turns up on the off chance after three games.

And I thought Pardew wasn't anything to do with transfers?  :whistle:

Where did I say they'd be second best?

Players become available, situations change all the time. A quality player he wants might not be available now, but could be in three months time.

That would be Gameiro that about 0.5% of this forum have actually even seen play...

About 15% have probably bought him on FM.

Most didn't even know who he was until about 3 weeks ago...

I just want to know who people thought we were going to sign as strikers this year?  Who did you think we were going to buy that is much better than Ba and Erdinc?

With £35m burning a hole in our pocket? ???

Never seen Erdinc play but I must admit when Carroll left, I expected him to be replaced by more than a free transfer with a history of failing medicals. Didn't you?

So a big price tag would have kept you happy?

From what I have seen of Ba, he would be a good acquisition on a free.

I agree. But not as a replacement for a £35m player, and not if he has a chronic knee injury as has been suggested by two clubs who have examined him.

I just want to know who people thought we were going to sign as strikers this year?  Who did you think we were going to buy that is much better than Ba and Erdinc?

Never seen Erdinc play but I must admit when Carroll left, I expected him to be replaced by more than a free transfer with a history of failing medicals. Didn't you?

I always thought buying a quality striker would be the hardest part of the jigsaw. Noticeable that no one is mentioning any credible alternatives to the players we've targeted so far.

And yet Liverpool paid £35m for someone who was injured at the time, and has been struggling with injuries ever since.

I always thought buying a quality striker would be the hardest part of the jigsaw. Noticeable that no one is mentioning any credible alternatives to the players we've targeted so far.

That's my point - there aren't exactly a wealth of top quality strikers who are available.  If there are, no-one seems to be able to name them.  Most of them would be as big a punt as Erdinc.

Not really seeing as nobody on here, to my knowledge, is a highly paid scout.

Not really seeing as nobody on here, to my knowledge, is a highly paid scout.

So what makes you think our official highly paid scout could do better then?

And yet Liverpool paid £35m for someone who was injured at the time, and has been struggling with injuries ever since.

Still passed his medical though. It takes a pretty big problem to fail a medical like, given the players we've signed (and sold) that have subsequently barely managed to get on a football pitch.

I can only assume those who say they aren't even slightly concerned about resting our main goal hopes on a player with a very dodgy knee (Ba himself admits it is not 100% and never will be and typically only plays half the games in a season in recent years) are just being deliberately obtuse.

Still passed his medical though. It takes a pretty big problem to fail a medical like, given the players we've signed (and sold) that have subsequently barely managed to get on a football pitch.

I can only assume those who say they aren't even slightly concerned about resting our main goal hopes on a player with a very dodgy knee (Ba himself admits it is not 100% and never will be and typically only plays half the games in a season in recent years) are just being deliberately obtuse.

What about Erdinc?