Sammy Ameobi released

James

He's started off with a handicap in the eyes of some fans because of his last name I think. People are waiting for him to do something clumsy so they call roll out the classic "f***ing Ameobi" line, but the truth is that he's a very skillful player IMO.

He's not the finished product, his tracking back can be suspect and his decision-making/final ball can definitely be worked on - but he brings us pace and verve which we're lacking in the side, particularly down the left.

I personally hope he gets a lot more first-team action as we don't have enough bodies running into the box from midfield and I think Sammy will do just that. I also like how willing he is to take on a player and make it to the byline. Sometimes the defender will put it out for a throw, but that won't stop him from trying again and pushing up the play towards the opposition box (encouraging our other players forward in the process) the next time. He adds creativity and unpredictability which we really need. Our attacking play is so easy to telegraph at the minute.

Think he has a lot of potential and we're not spoilt for options right now, so think he should be a lot closer to the first team personally.

:thup:

For the people criticising his end product, I thought he put in some decent crosses from the byline yesterday, certainly more and better than I have seen any of our wingers do in a long time.

Not sure how he will do in the league for us but one thing can be said is that he looks far better right now for us this campaign vs. the lat. He looks stronger and more confident to be honest.  Not sure I'd start him, but I would be OK if he did this weekend.

Not sure how he will do in the league for us but one thing can be said is that he looks far better right now for us this campaign vs. the lat. He looks stronger and more confident to be honest.  Not sure I'd start him, but I would be OK if he did this weekend.

People saying he should go out on loan but for me he's currently our best "winger" I wouldn't describe Ben Arfa, Marv, Gouff as wingers as they always drift inside. Outside of maybe Obertan he's the only one that will hug the touchline and take on his opponent. Until we buy a new left winger I don't think we can afford to let him go on loan seeing as Fergie has already gone out.

He's started off with a handicap in the eyes of some fans because of his last name I think. People are waiting for him to do something clumsy so they call roll out the classic "f***ing Ameobi" line, but the truth is that he's a very skillful player IMO.

He's not the finished product, his tracking back can be suspect and his decision-making/final ball can definitely be worked on - but he brings us pace and verve which we're lacking in the side, particularly down the left.

I personally hope he gets a lot more first-team action as we don't have enough bodies running into the box from midfield and I think Sammy will do just that. I also like how willing he is to take on a player and make it to the byline. Sometimes the defender will put it out for a throw, but that won't stop him from trying again and pushing up the play towards the opposition box (encouraging our other players forward in the process) the next time. He adds creativity and unpredictability which we really need. Our attacking play is so easy to telegraph at the minute.

Think he has a lot of potential and we're not spoilt for options right now, so think he should be a lot closer to the first team personally.

Great post. :thup:

Agree!

I'm still not convinced. Took his goal well but is immensely frustrating to watch and lost the ball unbelievably cheaply in some instances. I think he could be an option as a wide forward in a 4-3-3, but as a traditional winger in a 4-4-2 I don't think his crossing will be up to scratch. As anonymous as Marveaux is out on the wing, he is at least capable of whipping in a quality cross.

Really good post. Agree on all points.

Agree!

The "he's only here because he's an Ameobi" comments were so :anguish:

It's like we've had dozens of young products rolling out of the academy and into the first team, obviously Sammy has looked miles off the likes of Brittain, Ramage, Huntington, McClen, Pattison, O'Brien etc.. He's only here because of his surname  :suicide:

Can't believe what im reading here. He constantly gave the ball away, his crossing was shit and he did his headless chicken performance again. Granted, he took his goal well but I thought he was awful other than that. People calling for him to start on Saturday. Jesus Christ!

Can't believe what im reading here. He constantly gave the ball away, his crossing was s*** and he did his headless chicken performance again. Granted, he took his goal well but I thought he was awful other than that. People calling for him to start on Saturday. Jesus Christ!

Sammy and Good were the stand out "youth players" last night.

He was the only one before Hatem came on to have the confidence to beat his man, he has quick feet and some nice skills, so don't know what game you were watching.

Starting maybe is a bit too far but in terms of attacking he offers more than Jonas and Obertan IMO.

The hate some of these players gets on here is mad. He finally put in a worthwhile performance for us and scored a damn goal. He was an ever present player on the left- flair players do that you know.

I've said he's not up to the level for ages, but he deserves praise and support for his body of work yesterday. Tirelessly up and down the pitch, gave the ball away but didn't hide one time, showed for the ball and kept at running at his man and using his pace and skill. His take for that goal was really top notch- probably only HBA & Remy have that in their locker.

The hate some of these players gets on here is mad. He finally put in a worthwhile performance for us and scored a damn goal. He was an ever present player on the left- flair players do that you know.

I've said he's not up to the level for ages, but he deserves praise and support for his body of work yesterday. Tirelessly up and down the pitch, gave the ball away but didn't hide one time, showed for the ball and kept at running at his man and using his pace and skill. His take for that goal was really top notch- probably only HBA & Remy have that in their locker.

That's what stood out for me too - not everything he tried works (rarely does for wingers, beating players one-on-one is one the hardest things for a player to do) but he kept plugging away and got his reward.

Also a couple of his crosses would've been decent if we had any movement in the box, or a Darren Bent style poacher.

Can't believe what im reading here. He constantly gave the ball away, his crossing was s*** and he did his headless chicken performance again. Granted, he took his goal well but I thought he was awful other than that. People calling for him to start on Saturday. Jesus Christ!

Blimey, are you sure you watched the right match?

We were playing Morecambe though, who finished 16th in League 2 last year and are 19th now. You'll get a very different picture if he starts on Saturday.

We were playing Morecambe though, who finished 16th in League 2 last year and are 19th now. You'll get a very different picture if he starts on Saturday.

he also looked a damn sight more effective than what we had on the left when he came on vs West Ham. As I've said I'm prepared to give him a go and would like to see him get a good run in the 1st team, how else is he going to improve?

I've no problem seeing a local lad giving it his absolute all and playing football the way he tries to do -- entertaining, fearless at times (even when he fails, doesn't shirk from his game). It's why I'm so receptive to Dummett in our side as well.  You never know if a kid will develop until he takes the chances he's given -- thought both of those lads did so on Wednesday.

It simple we either give him games or we loan him out. Thats the only way to put the argument to rest. This place is like a yo-yo after a decent performance or two. Sammy has a lot of skills in his locker, whether he has the mentality we will just have to see.

I remember Shola looking fantastic for the U21s and tricking his way past everyone in the box. I don't hold out much hope tbh but I am not going to write him off until we have really seen enough of him. He looked lively off the bench in the league but maybe thats his best role.

It simple we either give him games or we loan him out. Thats the only way to put the argument to rest. This place is like a yo-yo after a decent performance or two. Sammy has a lot of skills in his locker, whether he has the mentality we will just have to see.

I remember Shola looking fantastic for the U21s and tricking his way past everyone in the box. I don't hold out much hope tbh but I am not going to write him off until we have really seen enough of him. He looked lively off the bench in the league but maybe thats his best role.

I don't think it's quite that simple, because we also need substitutes and squad players at the club.