Sammy Ameobi released

James

Guest alijmitchell

I don't think he's that bad, and has improve this season, but you know, where we would like to be is with someone much better in that position. There is little likelihood of that happening, so really there is no point in getting rid.

It's certainly a factor, but I think Sammy has been disadvantaged by being part of our shit youth setup, where there seems to be no real plan for integrating younger players into the first team.

Plus he seems to have been a later developer physically - at 20 he still had legs like pipe-cleaners!

I think Sammy is areet. But fuck me, saying he's young as a justification of his absolutely mediocrity is laughable. He's abut 18 month younger than Hazard for chirst sake.

Indeed. Nearly 3 years older than Raheem Sterling, too.

Not so much young as inexperienced - he only had 67 career starts and it shows.

Hazard has 341.

But does that not prove the point further?

Hazard was getting more games at an even younger age than what Sammy is now.

That has more to do with Hazard being a world class talent. you cant really compare one of our decent squad members from the academy to one of Chelsea's best players and expect them to have played a similar amount of games across their career.

People genuinely comparing Ameobi to Hazard and Sterling and expressing surprise that he isn't at that level?  Staggering.

It will be, if you're a tad thick. All people are saying is that his age can't be used as some sort of excuse for him. Lack of experience, of course, but Sammy has turned down several opportunities to go out on loan in favour of sitting on the bench or in a warm seat in the stands.

Sammy has been a late, and slow developer. When I first saw him, I didn't regard him as one of the more promising youngsters.

He's got an unusual build for a footballer, which in some situations makes him look quite awkward. I think he also had a tendency to try to do too much on his own, and beat players rather than release the ball early.

So his journey hasn't been a simple one. But I think his judgement of situations is much better now, and he's creating more for other people.

From the supporters' point of view, with that gangly physique, situations will arise where he loses the ball when most other players wouldn't, and I can hear people instantly getting on his back when that happens. For me, that has to balanced with other situations where he gets clean past defenders and they can't recover.

This lad is still a work in progress, and we'd be mad to ditch him now.

People genuinely comparing Ameobi to Hazard and Sterling and expressing surprise that he isn't at that level?  Staggering.

It will be, if you're a tad thick. All people are saying is that his age can't be used as some sort of excuse for him. Lack of experience, of course, but Sammy has turned down several opportunities to go out on loan in favour of sitting on the bench or in a warm seat in the stands.

Of course a player's age AND experience can be used as an excuse.  Players develop at different rates - you only have to look at someone like Harry Kane for extremely recent evidence of that.  He's older than Sammy and, prior to this season, had shown no signs of developing into a very good PL striker. 

Sammy may never get any better than he currently is, but I think it's worth giving him a couple of years more to see how he develops.  If he doesn't get any better, then move him on.

Of course a player's age AND experience can be used as an excuse.  Players develop at different rates - you only have to look at someone like Harry Kane for extremely recent evidence of that.  He's older than Sammy and, prior to this season, had shown no signs of developing into a very good PL striker

Sammy may never get any better than he currently is, but I think it's worth giving him a couple of years more to see how he develops.  If he doesn't get any better, then move him on.

Well that's shit, for a start. Also factor in that Kane's role is one young players seldom seem to thrive in. Sammy's a winger. If he was ever going to be a very good one he'd have shown far more than he has in the opportunities he's been given.

Of course a player's age AND experience can be used as an excuse.  Players develop at different rates - you only have to look at someone like Harry Kane for extremely recent evidence of that.  He's older than Sammy and, prior to this season, had shown no signs of developing into a very good PL striker

Well that's s***, for a start. Also factor in that Kane's role is one young players seldom seem to thrive in. Sammy's a winger. If he was ever going to be a very good one he'd have shown far more than he has in the opportunities he's been given.

I'll never quite understand why you feel it's appropriate to be so needlessly aggressive.

Moving on - is there a particular point in Kane's career where he was showing promise?  His record on loan was distinctly average - 14 goals in 53 games spread across the Championship and League 1 - and, from various Spurs supporting friends I have, he has never been regarded at Spurs as being a great talent (which has also been reflected in various articles on him recently).  Even up until the Chelsea game, they were pretty convinced it was a lucky streak.

Well that's s***, for a start. Also factor in that Kane's role is one young players seldom seem to thrive in. Sammy's a winger. If he was ever going to be a very good one he'd have shown far more than he has in the opportunities he's been given.

Yeah, kinda like all the other players that have thrived under the current tutelage.

Some of our supporters....shessh. He has shown enough to get a contract. Heaven forbid we have a solid backup, or competition for places.

Guest alijmitchell

He may have refused opportunities to go on loan because he had belief in his own ability to make it here? What exactly did he have in front of him? Can't criticise the lad for thinking he could challenge given the uselessness of our wide players since f*** knows when. Maybe he could have had more game time under his belt if Pardew wasn't such a weapon. However, he's okay, has improved with games, has scored some goals, got an assist or two and not looked totally out of his depth. There is no point chucking him like.

Don't think there is any logic behind age vs talent discussion. There are so many variables, the main one being potential but also coaching, motivation, game time, loan experience, standard of opposition, standard of team mates, leadership within the squad.

Players make break throughs at all ages, for lots of different reasons. Ultimately, the thing that will hold Sammy back is his attitude/intelligence. He's inconsistent in the same game, sometimes, that's nothing to do with talent but concentration and hard work. He's like his brother in that sense, utterly frustrating.

Was just thinking of ages on players, while we were all going on about rookie Jak Alnwick, he's only 11 months younger than Courtois. :lol:

To be fair, as utterly shit as Alnwick was in his few starts he's the a perfect example of how well the training ground, reserve games and games for shit like Gateshead prepare you for PL football. You need games at a testing professional level in order to be able to even avoid embarrassment in the PL.

Yeah, kinda like all the other players that have thrived under the current tutelage.

Some of our supporters....shessh. He has shown enough to get a contract. Heaven forbid we have a solid backup, or competition for places.

I'm not sure what your point is as I've not advocated releasing him. Truth be told I'd give him a contract and send him to the Championship for a season.