Newcastle United 3 - 3 West Brom - 22/05/11 - post match reaction from page 22

Dave

Terrible subs today, really thought Ferguson should have stayed on and Lua Lua should have come on for R.Taylor. Don't mind Lovenkrands coming off, but not for Smith. Smith should not get a look in, needs to be released. Ranger/Best for Lovenkrands would have been ok.

At 3 - 0 up I really thought we had finished on a high and we would see out the game. What a total let down. Good hat-trick from Tchoyi. He gave Enrique a bit of bother during the away game against Brom. I didn't think West Brom were that good at all, just punished us when our players started backing off and taking it easy.

Still happy with the season overall, but 9th sounds so much better than 12th. Plus Sunderland finishing higher... :rant:

Glad to see the penny finally dropping on Simpson. Nice lad, but nowhere near good enough to be our first choice right-back. I've been biting my tongue about him all season when I've seen him getting reamed on here.

I think he's had some good games personally, and generally done better than expected. An upgrade would be nice, but it's not top of the priority list IMO.

I'll openly admit to never rating him, but he has had a few very good games, most definitely, and has been a fair bit better than I anticipated (after I was critical enough of him at the lower level), but fullback is becoming such an important position in the modern game that you can't afford to have a passenger there if you have real aspirations of troubling the top part of this division. We've got by with him this season, but we could be so much more potent with a better footballer in that position.

He's not big enough, strong enough or quick enough, for starters, and he does not like to get involved in general play. He's uncomfortable with the ball at his feet, appears to have pretty shoddy balance (often comes across as being a bit Bambi on ice, to borrow the traditional cliche), and tends to take the safe option most of the time when he does get the ball. He does have a half-decent delivery on him when he gets up there, though, which I would consider his major strength. This is all without even considering the much-mentioned frailties he has when going the other way.

I thought he was going to be a bomb scare in the PL, but he's proved adequate. However, he's comfortably the weakest link in the backline on a regular basis and, as such, will hopefully be upgraded in the summer.

Glad to see the penny finally dropping on Simpson. Nice lad, but nowhere near good enough to be our first choice right-back. I've been biting my tongue about him all season when I've seen him getting reamed on here.

I think he's had some good games personally, and generally done better than expected. An upgrade would be nice, but it's not top of the priority list IMO.

I'll openly admit to never rating him, but he has had a few very good games, most definitely, and has been a fair bit better than I anticipated (after I was critical enough of him at the lower level), but fullback is becoming such an important position in the modern game that you can't afford to have a passenger there if you have real aspirations of troubling the top part of this division. We've got by with him this season, but we could be so much more potent with a better footballer in that position.

He's not big enough, strong enough or quick enough, for starters, and he does not like to get involved in general play. He's uncomfortable with the ball at his feet, appears to have pretty shoddy balance (often comes across as being a bit Bambi on ice, to borrow the traditional cliche), and tends to take the safe option most of the time when he does get the ball. This is without even considering the much-mentioned frailties he has when going the other way.

I thought he was going to be a bomb scare in the PL, but he's proved adequate. However, he's comfortably the weakest link in the backline on a regular basis and, as such, will hopefully be upgraded in the summer.

Wouldn't disagree too much, but bear in mind there's a high probability that backline will be without a single left back shortly, never mind an inadequate one.

Btw, there was generally an okay turn-out for the lap of honour. I admit that i went straight for the stairs as soon as the final whistle went, but it would have been a shame for everyone to turn their backs on what was one (admittedly) shitty second half performance.

It's been a good season all things considered, soured by the second to last minute of the entire season. The players deserved a round of applause.

That said... and not to bring out the conspiracists, there was no Jose or Coloccini on the lap. Not from what i could see, anyway.

He's not big enough, strong enough or quick enough, for starters, and he does not like to get involved in general play. He's uncomfortable with the ball at his feet, appears to have pretty shoddy balance (often comes across as being a bit Bambi on ice, to borrow the traditional cliche), and tends to take the safe option most of the time when he does get the ball. This is without even considering the much-mentioned frailties he has when going the other way.

Wouldn't disagree too much, but bear in mind there's a high probability that backline will be without a single left back shortly, never mind an inadequate one.

I'd prefer not to think about Jose fucking off, still hoping to hope it's not going to happen. Today won't have helped on that score... if he hasn't already made his mind up.

If one more person mentions perspective or the bigger picture to me one more time, I might actually scream.

I couldn't care less if it was a meaningless friendly or a relegation six pointer - to throw away a three goal lead in the way that we did is pathetic.

We had 9th place and a comfortable finish over the Mackems comfortably in our grasps and we threw it away through a combination of bad defending and players already on their holidays.

What a way to dampen what has been a decent season. I left when the equaliser went in. Might be petty, but I wasn't in the mood to celebrate.

What a way to dampen what has been a decent season.

Indeed. If only Pardew, the players etc could have also seen this bigger picture and realise that letting this win slip puts a dent in all the good work that has gone into the season up until today.

Guest RowanB

Absolutely gutted, but overall, 12th is a good effort and a fair reflection of how we've performed.

Guest toonlass

What the hell was Pardew thinking bringing Smith on? Would rather see the young 'uns given a chance. Simpson was poor, but Krul instilled no confidence. Shola was back to his Shola best, frustrating and poor. Need to improve the squad over the summer.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Took them forever to come back out for the 'lap of honour', Pardew must have been grilling them something rotten. A lot of love and support for Barton and Nolan, a little chant for Jose, but that was about it really. No Campbell or Ben Arfa.

Took them forever to come back out for the 'lap of honour', Pardew must have been grilling them something rotten. A lot of love and support for Barton and Nolan, a little chant for Jose, but that was about it really. No Campbell or Ben Arfa.

Ben Arfa was there! In a brown leather jacket by the looks of it. Didn't spot Jose, Jonas, Campbell or Colo - but i didn't stay for all of it.

according to sky's calculations cost us best part of £3m

At least Ashley saved that £500k he was giving to the staff as a reward for finishing in the top 10

Should make the players fund after that 2nd half performance; the cooks will be spitting in their food at training for quite some time.

according to sky's calculations cost us best part of £3m

At least Ashley saved that £500k he was giving to the staff as a reward for finishing in the top 10

Should make the players fund after that 2nd half performance; the cooks will be spitting in their food at training for quite some time.

I'd be throwing in razor blades and bleach.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Ben Arfa was there! In a brown leather jacket by the looks of it. Didn't spot Jose, Campbell or Colo - but i didn't stay for all of it.

Jose and Colo were at the front. Ah well if Ben Arfa was there that's cool. Krul gave his gloves away to some baldy 40 year old.  :cheesy:

Ben Arfa was there! In a brown leather jacket by the looks of it. Didn't spot Jose, Campbell or Colo - but i didn't stay for all of it.

Jose and Colo were at the front. Ah well if Ben Arfa was there that's cool. Krul gave his gloves away to some baldy 40 year old.  :cheesy:

Harsh on Harper.