Mehdi Abeid joins Panathinaikos

Colocho

He has two years left on his current contract and with United certain to have a host of senior players leaving this summer, Abeid could get his chance in the pre-season friendly fixtures to allow the Magpies to measure how far he has come in the last year.

I wonder if Pardew was keeping tabs on Tevez and Mascherano after they left West Ham to measure their progress? They certainly developed as players thanks to Pardew's canny decision to keep them out of his talented West Ham side.  O0

Guest firetotheworks

From Wiki:

Pardew said of him (Hayden Mullins), "...I have captured a player that I feel is going to add significantly to us. [He] can play in various positions and give us cover in a number of those [...] I think ultimately he is a central midfield player for us and I think his energy will be important; he will have to battle in the midfield. He is someone we are going to look to when we are up against it, to win the battle and give the room to [other players] to play. He is very much a destroyer and I think we are desperate for one of those."

Before Mascherano joined, West Ham had won one game, drawn one and lost one. However upon his arrival the team went into free-fall, losing eight games and drawing one game in all competitions before their next win on 29 October. During this time, Mascherano rarely featured in the team, despite their struggles,

At the beginning of the 2006–07 season, West Ham completed the signing of Argentine international Javier Mascherano who, like Mullins, was a defensive midfielder.[27] However, after a brief period on the bench, Mullins re-established himself in the first team and scored the winning goal, in a 2–1 home win over Blackburn Rovers in October 2006, which put an end to the worst run of results for West Ham in 74 years.

Absolutely have to bring him back and evaluate. He was starter in the Greek league, which has to be a higher level than the Championship, and actually won!

There's nowt to evaluate! If we haven't been watching our own player while he's been out on loan, then we might as well fold the club and go home. Deciding to keep him next season and play him is akin to directly signing him from Panathinaikos if he wasn't on loan.

Provided we don't make many additions to the depth of the squad next season, which lets face it is a likely scenario, I'd like to see something like Alnwick, Williamson, Haidara, Bigi, Abeid, Sammy, Armstrong as our bench.

Not glamorous by any means and obviously there will be more senior players on the bench at times, but I feel those are the guys who seem to have a most potential, barring Williamson of course, hes just a dependable back up.

Again I say - if Mehdi doesn't play it makes a mockery of the loan system. 

Team Mehdi.

You Mehdi Abeid so you can lie in it.

That's terrible. My word.

Abeid with me...................

Sigh.

The dude Abeids.

• 1 month later...

Saw someone say on twitter basically pardew had told him to go on loan and medhi had said he wanted to stay and fight for a place. He then forced him out on loan and hasn't been bothered with him since basically. Could be untrue obvs

Apart from the last bit, could turn out to be the best thing to have happened to him then. Would have rotted away like Bigi if he'd stayed, now though he will either be in the first team setup or a pretty decent transfer.

• 3 weeks later...