Other clubs' transfers

Guest palnese

Guest Howaythetoon

The gym thing is bull s***, here in England in particular, we put far too much emphasis on gym work often to the detriment of the player. Rooney's problem is the fags and the booze. He's a casual smoker and drinker and for a top-flight player in the modern game that's simply not the way to treat your body. His stamina and fitness levels are superb and always have been but fatigue due to the smoking and drinking is catching up with him.

This time last year I started going to the gym regularly and added a bit of beef after a few months, and it effected my game. I felt heavier and less mobile and people noticed I was less quicker too.

I cringe when I hear people say "he needs to bulk up a bit" when refering to the likes of Sammy Ameobi et al. Does he f***. If he spent the time expected of him in the gym to bulk up in practicing his skills etc. he wouldn't need the gym.

A bloke who plays footy with us at 5-a-side is cock height, about 7 stone and old enough to be my dad, yet he's easily the most skilful and with it best performing player there.

Having said that, players do need to do some gym work but not of the beefing/bulking up variety. Just making sure all your muscles/body areas are getting enough of a work-out and maintaining a fitness regime is enough.

For Rooney, its the tabs and booze that will see a premature end to his career as a top-class player.

Wow ... sorry, but you are so wrong. Why do people automatically think gym work equals bulking up. Terrible mindset.

There are sports specific exercises that can help improve your game immensely. It's not just about going in there and doing bench presses and curls.

Your mentality is very old school.

I don't, but English footy clubs/managers/fans do look at some players and think hmmm, he needs to bulk up. Take Sammy, or even Ben Arfa for example.

You've totally misread my post btw.

Ah right, you're referring more to the too small to play, must bulk up mentality. Yeah,  really think that is disgraceful.

I certainly think Rooney could do with sticking to whatever gym programme they put together for him. He has no lean muscle, and is carrying too much weight. It's definitely affected his "suddenness" i.e. his quickness, burst and explosiveness. All those great physical abilities he had as a youngster have gone. He didn't put in the work to maintain and even enhance them.

Look at Christiano Ronaldo in comparison. It's a shame.

He has no lean muscle and is carrying too much weight? Do you have access to his medicals or something?

Sorry but its the Frank Lampard is fat thing all over again. Or even Nolan. Nolan was often accused of being fat. The man had a 6 pack FFS. It was the tabs and booze with Nolan just as it is with Rooney.

Lampard ironically is a supreme athlete.

I bet Rooney does as much work in the gym as anyone else at Man Utd and has as low a BMI rating as anyone as well.

Just because he hasn't went hell for leather in the gym like perhaps a Ronaldo doesn't mean he's out of shape or needs to do more gym work.

In football especially I strongly believe each player needs their own personal and individual training and fitness regime.

If I go to the gym I might do some bench pressing like everyone else but the weights I lift and the reps etc. will be different to the guy next to me and that's because, well, we are built different, we are different people body wise, health wise, fitness wise etc.

Guest Howaythetoon

I'm right in my head at least anyway.

I think?!

Seeing Rooney in a Chelsea shirt would be ridiculous given his long connection to Man Utd, but I guess it's nothing we haven't seen before in the game. I think he would be insanely good for Chelsea too as lone striker with their midfield behind him. I can see it coming back to haunt Man Utd really, not that most of their fans would hate to see him go anyway.

I'll be absolutely gutted when Rooney inevitably leaves. He really is a phenomenal player. He isn't as good up top as RVP, and he probably isn't as good as Kagawa in the #10 role, but he combines both of those in a game. He has incredible vision, is a very good goalscorer and works very, very hard for the team and is always the first forward who gets back to defend. A massive, massive loss.

I honestly have no idea what Moyes was thinking when he made those comments, unless he does want rid of him. The bids would come in regardless once Rooney appears unsettled, so surely the best way to get the most money is to make it look like you really want to hold on to the player, not say he's fucking back up. Honestly baffling.

Moyes out. Bring back Fergie. :pilko:

I'll be absolutely gutted when Rooney inevitably leaves. He really is a phenomenal player. He isn't as good up top as RVP, and he probably isn't as good as Kagawa in the #10 role, but he combines both of those in a game. He has incredible vision, is a very good goalscorer and works very, very hard for the team and is always the first forward who gets back to defend. A massive, massive loss.

I honestly have no idea what Moyes was thinking when he made those comments, unless he does want rid of him. The bids would come in regardless once Rooney appears unsettled, so surely the best way to get the most money is to make it look like you really want to hold on to the player, not say he's fucking back up. Honestly baffling.

Moyes out. Bring back Fergie. :pilko:

only thing I can think of is perhaps in the talks with Rooney Moyes wasn't terribly impressed with his attitude and hence the comments

I won't comment on the Rooney fitness issue but all the negative PR ManYoo have been putting out about him, starting with that clear snub by Fergie at his retirement finale, reflects worse on them than it does on him. The whole thing smacks of the grass being greener with some mythical player, a glory hunter fan level opinion. Negative PR about your own players is the type of stunt we pull, not clubs in the CL.

fwiw, I reckon Moyes, and especially Moyes with no existing ManYoo coaches, will have little idea about how to get the best out of Kagawa from day one. Probably Fabregas too if he is indeed for sale. With the unproven manager coming in, the sensible thing would be to aim for continuity.

I'm a bit late to the party here re: Rooney, but how fucking irritating was that guy on SSN who was talking about it!? The way he said 'London' was infuriating :lol:

I'm a bit late to the party here re: Rooney, but how f***ing irritating was that guy on SSN who was talking about it!? The way he said 'London' was infuriating :lol:

EMPHASISE  EVERY  WORD  NICE  AND  SLOWLY