Other clubs' transfers

Guest palnese

Brett, I think you're slightly missing the point that players can be held to their contracts if the club wishes. Just like they can't suddenly be sacked when the club fancies it.

I understand that but what use is Modric to Spurs if he doesn't want to play for the club?

Surely the best option would just to be to get the best possible deal rather than feed him the 'we will let you watch the season from the bench or stands'.

Phil Jones signed a 5 year deal last summer and a 1 year extension in January yet why should Blackburn hold him back from Man Utd when that's where the player wants to go. Don't really want players that don't want to play for your club.

should the player think of that when signing his long term contract. maybe he should say "just make it a 2 year deal, if i'm good i can f*** off, if i turn out to be cack you don't end up paying me for 3 years of turd"

truth is the players want it both ways and it would be nice for some club to have the bottle and bank balance to say "no, you agreed to that contract, if you don't like it you can play in the reserves till your deal is up"

Brett, I think you're slightly missing the point that players can be held to their contracts if the club wishes. Just like they can't suddenly be sacked when the club fancies it.

I understand that but what use is Modric to Spurs if he doesn't want to play for the club?

Surely the best option would just to be to get the best possible deal rather than feed him the 'we will let you watch the season from the bench or stands'.

Phil Jones signed a 5 year deal last summer and a 1 year extension in January yet why should Blackburn hold him back from Man Utd when that's where the player wants to go. Don't really want players that don't want to play for your club.

should the player think of that when signing his long term contract. maybe he should say "just make it a 2 year deal, if i'm good i can f*** off, if i turn out to be cack you don't end up paying me for 3 years of turd"

truth is the players want it both ways.

Your right the player does want to hold all the aces and in some cases i dont really agree with it, especially when the contract was signed just a matter of months ago for a long term deal. But i think in Modric case that he thought Spurs were going places but have effectively taking a step back by not qualifying for champions league again and also this season looking even stronger i suppose he is regretting signing the contract but if we are to believe him, a deal was still in place where he could move but is being absolutly bumped on doing so even though a solid big money move is being offered.

...and Brett, you're essentially saying that anyone really good shouldn't be playing for Newcastle either. Like, say, Tiote.

"He's a class act who deserves to be at a top club."

For some time now players have had contracts that mean something, i.e. when the contract is over they can leave for nowt. That's progress. But it has to work both ways.

The fair play rules really are a crossroads for football. If sugar daddies are legitimized then we can all (well, the clubs that really matter) pack up and go home. The only hope for us is to somehow get some breaks in building a new stadium, the only hope for you is to magically pull some revenue out of your arse. Or either of us can sell our souls to oil money.

To be fair Tiote has had one good season, looked classy and got a new contract, this doesn't mean to say he will stay for 5 years, he could still have another class season and leave next season for 20 million and that point what can you do if Man Utd or whoever are making big bids. Carroll proved one good season, 5 year contract then gone for a big transfer. If a player doesn't want to play for your club anymore your best off without. Man Utd done the same with Ronaldo, Arsenal have done well to keep Cesc and he has been a true professional through out but it's inevitable he will play for the club he loves one day.

the difference with ronaldo was man ut'd got a very good deal out of it, with the modric situation thats not happening. if players sign contracts they ought to be prepared to abide by it like the club has to if they turn out to be s***. it's that sort of attitude that is f***ing football up.

22 million surely it's a good deal? What's f***ing up football is the transfers around that and getting compared to it. I'd rate Modric at around 20million and i think he's in the top 5 premiership central midfieders.

Otherwise pretty correct but Jordan Henderson says hello.

truth is the players want it both ways.

Your right the player does want to hold all the aces and in some cases i dont really agree with it, especially when the contract was signed just a matter of months ago for a long term deal. But i think in Modric case that he thought Spurs were going places but have effectively taking a step back by not qualifying for champions league again and also this season looking even stronger i suppose he is regretting signing the contract but if we are to believe him, a deal was still in place where he could move but is being absolutly bumped on doing so even though a solid big money move is being offered.

And on the other hand, how about Modric taking the situation in hand and helping his team get back in the CL?  They drop out in a competitive PL and he wants to jump ship?  Since when is it a right to get CL football every year?

truth is the players want it both ways and it would be nice for some club to have the bottle and bank balance to say "no, you agreed to that contract, if you don't like it you can play in the reserves till your deal is up"

And how would that help anyone? Certainly not the club who have effectively lost the player and any future financial benifits, yet are still shelling out wages. It seems to me, the only reason you give a player a long term contract is to give yourself a chance of recouping a greater amount from the transfer if that player ever opts to leave. None of it is about loyaly, from either side.

But that's his problem, really, and became his problem when he signed the contract.

The suggestion is that Joorabchian has manoeuvred this into the situation where there is only one team in position to buy him - no bidding war = less money on the table. The bottom line is that if Chelsea and Man City are no longer allowed to run at a stratospheric loss, then the first thing that will come down will be their wages. That will remove one major attraction. The other major attraction - Champions League - will then come under greater threat from clubs like Spurs and Newcastle, with their considerable revenue and decent squads.

Guest Geordiesned

SSN: QPR have £1.5 million bid accepted for DJ Campbell and also close to signing Jay Bothroyd.

West Brom after Hargreaves.

And how would that help anyone? Certainly not the club who have effectively lost the player and any future financial benifits, yet are still shelling out wages. It seems to me, the only reason you give a player a long term contract is to give yourself a chance of recouping a greater amount from the transfer if that player ever opts to leave. None of it is about loyaly, from either side.

thats why i said they have to have the bank balance to do it. the contract is entered into in good faith on both sides, yet it seems like only one side is held to it.

yes, the long contrac is given out for financial reasons, not so much to recoup a greater deal (how much profit is there when pay is factored in ?) but to stop the player, whom in most cases has cost a fee, leaving for less than the market value, for this the player is given what he considers to be the best available wage, it's not like he is getting something out of it for he knows if he turns out crap, he'll still get the money.