Other clubs' transfers

Guest palnese

Gerrard was arguably Englands best player as recent as in the Euros. Lucas was one of the best holding midfielders in the PL before he was injured. Allen had a great season with Swansea, and could potentially thrive on the players he is linking up with at Liverpool. Allen is still young, and can only get better. Don´t really see what is funny with this, even though they have paid more than Allens perceived market value.

I also forgot about Shelvey who could have a break through season. Compared to our central midfield they are ahead of us in quality and depth in my opinion.

Depth maybe, in quality, I'd take Cabaye and Tiote in form over any of them, yes in form is a big qualifier but they;re going to be longer in form than Gerrard will be

Manager in giving player confidence boost shocker. Sounds like something Pardew would say.

Stop with your utterly sensible comments, no place for them here. We once bought a player for cheaper don't you know.

Liverpool's biggest problem last season, even more so than their finishing was their abysmal midfielders lacking in genuine guile and quality. They have done nothing to address it, Allen is just another expensive step towards mediocrity. He isn't an upgrade on anything, just more 'depth'. Depth is all well and good but the options after Lucas are chronic for a team that has pretences of playing in the Champions League.

I don't know whether they could have attracted Cazorla. But there's somebody they're crying out for and for a similar price.

Liverpool's biggest problem last season, even more so than their finishing was their abysmal midfielders lacking in genuine guile and quality. They have done nothing to address it, Allen is just another expensive step towards mediocrity. He isn't an upgrade on anything, just more 'depth'. Depth is all well and good but the options after Lucas are chronic for a team that has pretences of playing in the Champions League.

I don't know whether they could have attracted Cazorla. But there's somebody they're crying out for and for a similar price.

Nailed it. :thup:

Im not going to argue it any further, and Im not going to drag it up when (most likely) Liverpool end up with a good few points more than us, but I would like to warn a few of you overly confident people not to get too ahead of yourselves as it might fuck you right back down to earth during the close of the season. Last thing I´d want to see on here is that PhilD guy gloating due to so many retrospectively moronic posts.

Guest hydeous

It's the middle of the off season and a slow transfer window. There is nothing to do besides making fun of other clubs signings.

Im not going to argue it any further, and Im not going to drag it up when (most likely) Liverpool end up with a good few points more than us, but I would like to warn a few of you overly confident people not to get too ahead of yourselves as it might fuck you right back down to earth during the close of the season. Last thing I´d want to see on here is that PhilD guy gloating due to so many retrospectively moronic posts.

Getting a bit emotional there fella. You have your opinion, others have theirs.

Personally I don't think Allen is worth anywhere near £15m+, someone mentioned Jenas when talking about him and to me that is a good comparison. Both calm, good (safe) passers, but not much else.

As for the rest of that midfield barring one (maybe two if Gerrard manages a decent run of games and still has legs) is very, very uninspiring.

If I was Rodgers I'd stick my nuts in the Juan Roman vice. Cost nowt and it'd brighten up every life.

Still reckon they'll finish above though, as they should given the investment while we stand still.

I think Liverpool lack real penetrative width. Obviously Stewart Downing had a disastrous campaign and trying to get his confidence back is a challenge in itself. Not sure of Adam Johnson's story at City but if I was Rodger's he'd be someone I would look at. Dangerous player who needs games.

Liverpool every time I watch them have this same style. A languid passing game with no real cutting edge, just a mixture of decent players all doing their jobs correctly ,a solid defence (usually), combined with an over-reliance on Gerrard. Never struck as being a good footballing side in my view.

No meaning to be a dick, but this is a mental response to people not rating Joe Allen, Charlie Adam, Henderson et al.

Liverpool every time I watch them have this same style. A languid passing game with no real cutting edge, just a mixture of decent players all doing their jobs correctly ,a solid defence (usually), combined with an over-reliance on Gerrard.

Exactly what they are, they have no penetration through out the team other than Suarez and he can't do it all by himself.

Allen won't offer anything more than what the other midfielders already can, he's quite frankly a defensively superior, more refined version of Henderson hardly what they need tbh.

As for Liverpool finishing above us and being better and all that shit etc etc there is a reason we finished 13 points above them last season bring them on, i'm extremely confident in finishing above them even if we buy no one.

As mentioned before, signing Allen is all well and good, but it's not really a purchase that has highlighted their weak points.

Although having said that, they probably just need a striker who can finish. They peppered a few teams last season without scoring. The game they had against WBA at Anfield was just plain daft.

Getting a bit emotional there fella. You have your opinion, others have theirs.

Personally I don't think Allen is worth anywhere near £15m+, someone mentioned Jenas when talking about him and to me that is a good comparison. Both calm, good (safe) passers, but not much else.

As for the rest of that midfield barring one (maybe two if Gerrard manages a decent run of games and still has legs) is very, very uninspiring.

hai shaemus. For sake of clarity, I agree on the bolded part. Just think that he will add something to that side that they are missing and will greatly benefit from. Nothing emotional in it, just trying to get a different point of view forward to all of the people who just focuses on the price of the player himself, and not what the player will add to the side.

To put it in another context, I´d be over the moon if we got him for ~£6m. Depending on Pardew actually using a 4-3-3-ish formation, Allen would be a definite starter.

Anyway, it's not overconfidence or tempting fate. I'm commenting on them objectively and completely individually without comparing them to us. I thought they bought expensive shite last year and thought they would finish 5th at best (they outdone themselves there). More than happy to have egg on my face if I end up being wrong.

Anyway, even if they do finish above us. So fuck. So they should considering the money spent.

To put it in another context, I´d be over the moon if we got him for ~£6m. Depending on Pardew actually using a 4-3-3-ish formation, Allen would be a definite starter.

What has that got to do with anything? yes he probably would and so would i, but we have different needs to Liverpool.

Liverpool already have plenty of midfielders in the Allen mould we don't quite frankly, Liverpool don't have many penetrative midfielders which is where thier focus should have been they have plenty of midfielders who are comfortable in possession who keep it simple and don't take risks but not many with guile who will open up defences.

All the Allen transfer does is add to their list of midfielders who keep it simple and keep possession but don't open teams up, thier lack of guile and creativity is still apparent.