Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

Unproven at this level.

True.

Will never replace Nolan or Barton.

Who said that?

I've seen a number of people whinging about these two leaving without being replaced. Have to say I'm even more excited at the prospect of Cabaye & Marveaux than those two. Going to be much better to watch.

Generally speaking, the posters citing nolan goal record as a major loss know nothing about the dynamics of a football game. Their opinions are worth ignoring.

:snod:

Generally speaking, the posters citing nolan goal record as a major loss know nothing about the dynamics of a football game. Their opinions are worth ignoring.

Only if your forwards or others are scoring...

Even if we kept Nolan I would have major concerns over us replicating his goals last season and I rate him.

A lot of factors point to him not being as prolific this season and I have to say ignoring the goal threat (of last season) Cabaye seems to offer a lot more.

Only if your forwards or others are scoring...

In the first half, cabaye only had one decent outlet in marveaux, which is incredibly worrying, even more worrying is that ba is locked in Ali dia's shed somewhere and we don't seem to have much else in terms of forward play bar Ben arfa.

There's definitely a superb first 11 in there somewhere but putting youth aside our depth is quite worrying.

For the record Kevin Nolan scored the same ammount of goals last season as Barcelona's central 3 combined. Which is a clear indicator that it means sweat fuck all.

No no no, we sold 14 goals for £4m and haven't replaced him adequately.

Unproven at this level.

True.

Who said that?

I've seen a number of people whinging about these two leaving without being replaced. Have to say I'm even more excited at the prospect of Cabaye & Marveaux than those two. Going to be much better to watch.

Yes theyve both been better to watch so far.

We've also just had to rely on Ryan Taylor to beat Sunderland & stop us getting knocked out of the Carling cup to Scunthorpe.

Dont get ahead of yourself. As good as they are, we've hardly replaced Nolans goals atall at this point.

We'll not see the best of Cabaye and Marveaux until we stop trying to bypass the midfield.

We saw the truth in that in the second half tonight. Part of the reason though was because Cabaye and Marveaux dropped deeper themselves to dictate the game where previously Gosling and Lovenkrands had been floundering.

far too early to pass judgement tbf.

poor against arsenal, decent against sunderland, average against scunthorpe. i think he looks talented and has shown this in glimpses more than over whole games, but he hasn't settled in the side completely. for a new signing that's fine though. actually it almost seems like he's been played as a box to box terrier, or, at points in the league matches, an attacking midfielder, whereas it seems for france and lille he was more like a deep lying playmaker a la Alonso. when HBA gets back i imagine he'll drop back into this position. so in that respect he's not a like for like replacement for Nolan.

but it's more a team effort than individual impact, and going forward in all three games we've been as bad as i've seen us play in years. very little fluidity and cohesiveness, resorting to ugly long balls, and little to no hold on the tempo of a game - so much for trying out a new style of play. what's more we've depended on Ryan Taylor's dead ball prowess to get by. we need to show a fucking massive improvement on the dross that's been served so far. Sammy and Vuckic really showed up the established regulars.

no means certain at all that we've replaced those who have left, in fact it's pretty obvious that we need to spend big on a few players before the window shuts.

and anyway, the fact that we're simply setting the bar at replacing what's left is astonishing - this window should've been about making a big improvement.

We'll not see the best of Cabaye and Marveaux until we stop trying to bypass the midfield.

We saw the truth in that in the second half tonight. Part of the reason though was because Cabaye and Marveaux dropped deeper themselves to dictate the game where previously Gosling and Lovenkrands had been floundering.

Yep totally agreed, looks more natural playing that game and what's more it seems to help us dominate possession. he'd been a bit wasted prior to that.

Unproven at this level.

True.

Who said that?

We've also just had to rely on Ryan Taylor to beat Sunderland & stop us getting knocked out of the Carling cup to Scunthorpe.

Dont get ahead of yourself. As good as they are, we've hardly replaced Nolans goals atall at this point.

See, you make a solid point about the individual goals winning us games (which I've alluded to already and attribute to our lack of style of play) but you make this classic mistake of believing that more goals win you more matches.

My guess is that anyone who understands football will be able to see that by having more possession we'll concede less goals as well.

Remember, you can win the league with less than 38 goals.

How many assists did Nolan make? Never mind key passes/inteceptions/goal saving challenges ect and ball retention comes into play etc ect.

And for the record, saying "we only won our last 2 games due to Ryan Taylor free kicks" would be the exact same as saying "we only wn the last two games due to 2 Kevin Nolan tap ins"

The fact is we have won 2 (and are undefeated) regardless of who has scored.

How many assists did Nolan make? Never mind key passes/inteceptions/goal saving challenges ect and ball retention comes into play etc ect.

And for the record, saying "we only won our last 2 games due to Ryan Taylor free kicks" would be the exact same as saying "we only wn the last two games due to 2 Kevin Nolan tap ins"

The fact is we have won 2 (and are undefeated) regardless of who has scored.

I think you've missed the point of my argument tbh. Nolan's goals were the finishing touches to how we played the game last season, the end result of our gameplan, if you will. he had plenty of chances created this way and ended with a dozen goals. it's no surprise so many of, not only his goals but his chances, came from flick ons, knock downs, crosses and clearances. it's a predictable and consistent return that derives from the way we played the game.

not exactly comparable to someone who might get a couple of freekick goals a season. that's not really a goal that comes from playing well or putting together fluid attacks, and you can't expect this to be a consistent way of creating chances. he might not score again all season for all we know. atm we don't have a gameplan for creating goal threat.

Unproven at this level.

True.

Who said that?

See, you make a solid point about the individual goals winning us games (which I've alluded to already and attribute to our lack of style of play) but you make this classic mistake of believing that more goals win you more matches.

My guess is that anyone who understands football will be able to see that by having more possession we'll concede less goals as well.

Remember, you can win the league with less than 38 goals.

Except that as of yet we've hardly dominated possession in any of these games, so it is still getting ahead of ourselves to state anything like this isnt it. In general its far to early to state that Cabayes potential ability to increase our ball retention outweighs Nolans previous potential to score influential goals.

And i didnt say more goals win you matches anywhere, im saying we need someone who can score fullstop. Our senior strikers have scored 1 goal between all of them in the last 9 games for Newcastle.

I was replying to Jaysons post tbh Johnny, not saying he's wrong mind, we'll see throughout the season.

Imo though our central midfielders main job is to win the midfield battle, and play in the attacking players whilst tryng to maintain possession (basic description I know). We were something like 5th highest scorers in the league though, and finished 12th, so his goals don't need to be 'replaced' per se, we just need to score more than we concede per game, and having Cabaye in the side ahead of Nolan is a step forward to reaching that.

I think the fact that he hasn't played particularly well in any match shows just how class he is because you can tell, even with his bad performance, that he's a class above on the pitch.  Pops up everywhere, looks comfortable on the ball, sees passes others don't.  If we can get the ball on the ground with Colo, Tiote, Cabaye and Ben Arfa as the spine of our squad, we're going to do good things season.