Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

Still get the feeling with Cabaye he's slightly tethered too frequently when not alongside Tiote needs to do more defensive duty, which he diligently does, but also gets wound up. Tiote Cabaye and Guthrie in a midfield would be great. Guthrie impresses recently but can't quite maintain his standards all game like Cabaye does

Still get the feeling with Cabaye he's slightly tethered too frequently when not alongside Tiote needs to do more defensive duty, which he diligently does, but also gets wound up. Tiote Cabaye and Guthrie in a midfield would be great. Guthrie impresses recently but can't quite maintain his standards all game like Cabaye does

Cabaye  Tiote    Guthrie

Ba        Cisse    Barfa

On his game Cabaye is immense, but it's not often enough for my liking. Maybe he needs to settle or whatever.

Maybe thats because we are not playing him in the right position.......

We are playing in a deep playmaker role in a 2 man midfield when all his life hes been furthest forward as a b2b mid in a 3 man midfield.....

He's doing his best but we wont get the best out of him until we switch to a 3 man midfield IMO.....

Luckily he's such a great player who is really the complete midfielder that he can play anyrole effectively....

It also has'nt helped that we havent played him with Tiote as much as we all wished, but make no mistake he's a great player and no way IMO he is overrated.

On his game Cabaye is immense, but it's not often enough for my liking. Maybe he needs to settle or whatever.

We are playing in a deep playmaker role in a 2 man midfield when all his life hes been furthest forward as a b2b mid in a 3 man midfield.....

He's doing his best but we wont get the best out of him until we switch to a 3 man midfield IMO.....

Luckily he's such a great player who is really the complete midfielder that he can play anyrole effectively....

It also has'nt helped that we havent played him with Tiote as much as we all wished, but make no mistake he's a great player and no way IMO he is overrated.

Him and Tiote have combined fantastically at times, the Man United game being a case in point (and the last time they played together). I don't think he needs to play in a 3 to play at his best, he just needs a year to fully adapt to the English game and more time in the pitch with Cheik.

Just my opinion, I think Guthrie is the better player. Cabaye has great passing, and runs a lot, I just feel he doesn't control the game they way he should.

Deary me. Do you think our midfield being non-existent against Fulham and Blackburn was just a coincidence?

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Guthrie has turned into a good player but Cabaye is quite a lot better at what he does and is a lot more effective getting forward.

Him and Tiote have combined fantastically at times, the Man United game being a case in point (and the last time they played together). I don't think he needs to play in a 3 to play at his best, he just needs a year to fully adapt to the English game and more time in the pitch with Cheik.

I don't think they've clicked completely, we don't use our midfield as effectively as we should either. On a pure individual basis though they both piss all over most team's CM in the league both technically and physically. By default we're going to do well because it's such a crucial area of the pitch. There's teams in the league who have some really nice attacking players (Fulham and Villa for example) but currently sit bottom half because crucial midfield players are on their last legs or just poor generally.

I don't think they've clicked completely, we don't use our midfield as effectively as we should either. On a pure individual basis though they both piss all over most team's CM in the league both technically and physically. By default we're going to do well because it's such a crucial area of the pitch. There's teams in the league who have some really nice attacking players (Fulham and Villa for example) but currently sit bottom half because crucial midfield players are on their last legs or just poor generally.

Spot on.

I have a different point of view.  I think Cabaye should be playing as a deep playmaker role rather than the one running through centre.

The first reason is that while you can say we aren't aggressive enough by this approach, our defending power in centre is just fucking immense.  The Colo-Saylor-Tiote-Cabaye combo is the core unit of our defense and it's so strong that only Man City are able to tear it by normal build up play (and due to Raylor).  I understand as a Newcastle fans we should cry out for more attacking power but the display against Man Utd cannot be forgotten. We fucking dominate the centre midifeld part against Man Utd. On the other hand, having Tiote and Cabaye in the deep actually provides excellent cushion against opponent's counter attack.  Recently we have lost a few matches due to playing a high line defense which vulnerable to opponent's fast and direct counter, which imo could be prevented if Tiote and Cabaye have stopped the gameplay beforehand.

The second reason is that such a formation actually requires two very good wingers as they are responsible to make plays. In fact our attacking play during the first half of the season was quite decent, if Obertan could be more productive. Now we have HBA as our right winger (i hope) and we should see huge improvement.  And also, if we have to play HBA as our right winger, we definitely have to play Cabaye behind him.

In short, I see Cabaye as a Scholes type midfielder more than a Dyer type midfielder.  He doesn't has the pace, but he has the vision.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Howaythetoon

The real Cabaye is the player at Villa Park, he dictated that game and ran the show from midfield.

The current Cabaye sits too deep, is reserved and looks a bit lost. He needs far more freedom out there and needs to play 10-20 yards further of Tiote rather than 10-20 yards behind him or alongside him.