Yohan Cabaye retires

I'm just saying he has never had an extended run in that role and I think with his fantastic shooting ability and as we have seen with previous fantastic assists for Cisse and Ba he can supply service for strikers.

Think we tried it once last season against stoke away? may have been someone else but it was a car crash. Instead of playing on the tip of a diamond he was playing off the striker and as a team we were on zero confidence so as usual we were hoofing it long and not supporting the attack at all.

His long passing is great but not short, intricate stuff. Marv is much better at that. When facing a deep defence he doesn't the quick feet to engineer a yard of space to pass it through on goal. Counter attacking like against WBA or Swanswea and he's great because there's space for the holywood balls but at home against lesser sides.. nah.

There's only one player who should play a role similar to AM in our squad and it's Sylvain.

I 100% agree with you here Dropout. Adding to that - I'd build the team to function around the likes of Hatem and Sylvain, 2 players who have it in them to CREATE goals, which is our biggest single problem. If you have the 2 of them on the pitch with minimal defensive duties, you free them up to express their game and dictate play. What that means for the rest of the team around them (in terms of who sets up where, etc) is up for everyone's discussion and debate.

Keegan never went near a player like Cabaye with good reason.

Yet Keegan said this about Jonas :lol:

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jonas-gutierrez-real-deal-says-1472481

Didn't buy him though. Keegan said similar about Shola before actually working with him. :undecided:

Who recommended Jonas ?  because he was signed when Keegan was manager, same as Guthrie and Bassong.

Keegan is hardly going to slag him off tbf.

Jonas is hardly the worst signing we've made in the past seasons.

Guest bimpy474

Keegan never went near a player like Cabaye with good reason.

Yet Keegan said this about Jonas :lol:

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jonas-gutierrez-real-deal-says-1472481

Didn't buy him though. Keegan said similar about Shola before actually working with him. :undecided:

Who recommended Jonas ?  because he was signed when Keegan was manager, same as Guthrie and Bassong.

Keegan is hardly going to slag him off tbf.

Jonas is hardly the worst signing we've made in the past seasons.

Not exactly one of the best though is he, if you take away the season in the championship, the amount of goals he scored and created in 4 seasons of premiership football is cockin awful.

We simply have zero threat from him and he has 95% of the time played left wing in a 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1. For a player to play there and create so little, well it's just cack really.

His long passing is great but not short, intricate stuff. Marv is much better at that. When facing a deep defence he doesn't the quick feet to engineer a yard of space to pass it through on goal. Counter attacking like against WBA or Swanswea and he's great because there's space for the holywood balls but at home against lesser sides.. nah.

There's only one player who should play a role similar to AM in our squad and it's Sylvain.

Or Vuckic?

IMO he's more of a supporting forward than an AM. More about goals than creating from what i've seen. But aye, they can play in that same position but the roles are different.

He wasn't great in The Championship, either. 4 goals in 40 games or so, 2 of which big deflections. Same old rubbish. Even made Perch look like a good RB.

Even if he hasn't scored or created many goals he was a decent player for a couple of seasons who now is getting past it. He's not a RB so it's laughable to single that out. For the money we paid for him I fail to see how acquiring him was a mistake on a level that we analyse who recommended to sign him.

Guest bimpy474

He wasn't great in The Championship, either. 4 goals in 40 games or so, 2 of which big deflections. Same old rubbish. Even made Perch look like a good RB.

Even if he hasn't scored or created many goals he was a decent player for a couple of seasons who now is getting past it. He's not a RB so it's laughable to single that out. For the money we paid for him I fail to see how acquiring him was a mistake on a level that we analyse who recommended to sign him.

I wasn't asking who recommended him for any other reason than curiosity, not to do with Jonas as such. What i was curious about was, Jonas, Bassong, Guthrie and Colo were signed before we had the Wise DOF disaster and before Graham Carr become our head scout. I was wondering who was doing the scouting then.

:kinnear:

I wasn't asking who recommended him for any other reason than curiosity, not to do with Jonas as such. What i was curious about was, Jonas, Bassong, Guthrie and Colo were signed before we had the Wise DOF disaster and before Graham Carr become our head scout. I was wondering who was doing the scouting then.

Fair enough. :thup:

Vetere.

Guest bimpy474

Vetere.

Ah was it him, another knob of an appointment.

Anyone seen the latest quotes from Cabaye?

The feeling in the squad is very, very positive. It’s nice to work in this atmosphere,” he said.

“We just want to progress with the ball and keep more of the ball than last season.

“We gave away the ball too easily sometimes. The manager wants us to take one or two touches on the ball and move after the pass.

“It’s good. We’re not 100% fit, but we’re working hard.”

Before we all go :yao:

Surely its encouraging if one of the players are saying that?

I'd love to be optimistic but a few training sessions and few pre-season games is not going to be enough to transform our style of play. As soon as the pressure is on, Pardew will retreat back into his default mode.

Anyone seen the latest quotes from Cabaye?

The feeling in the squad is very, very positive. It’s nice to work in this atmosphere,” he said.

“We just want to progress with the ball and keep more of the ball than last season.

“We gave away the ball too easily sometimes. The manager wants us to take one or two touches on the ball and move after the pass.

“It’s good. We’re not 100% fit, but we’re working hard.”

Before we all go :yao:

Surely its encouraging if one of the players are saying that?

No, Cabaye is a mug. He probably still thinks that Pardew will deliver on his promise to him upon signing here.

Passing and moving. Moving the ball quickly. So simple but it's what we need. Someone stamp that on Tiote's head, the one, two touch thing. Then pass and move on Jonas head.

As Cruyff once said "Simple football is the most beautiful. But playing simple football is the hardest thing."

Which is clearly proven by Pardew's difficulties with it, i do agree mind.