Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

Couldn't fault cabaye last night, virtually asking too much from him carrying a whole team of headless chickens. He is the only player left with a footballing brain on the pitch last night(apart from colo) before that we still had barton with him. What we need now is Marv, Ben and Santon to be fit and ready to start. They will fill in blanks and get the team playing football.

Disappointed with the lack of a football system or style......even QPR played much better football with a system in place.

Honestly speaking ever since Bobby left...only other manager who had a game plan that translates on the field was Souness....

I don't think QPR had a system in place, they just threw some decent footballers together and they did their stuff. Pretty much Pardew's system, except he threw some shit players together and they played shit, unsurprisingly.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

No way was he going to do well with that kind of football we played. Was poor but he has shown in our previous three games he has a lot of skill and ability.

Guest Dontooner

Honestly speaking ever since Bobby left...only other manager who had a game plan that translates on the field was Souness....

What gameplan was that then?  Play like a bunch of strangers?  His tactics and management style was bloody awful.

Aye he had a game plan just a really shitty one, the teams Souness has managed seem to play a style , sort of a really rigid 4-4-2. Not going to elaborate much more since his shit.

Horrible manager by all accounts btw.

Would much rather have spent £6 million on Craig Gardner like.

I've not seen a single Sunderland fan hailing Gardner as 'world class'. Nobody does delusion quite like Newcastle supporters, I did try and warn you's early in this thread.

try and warn us? you know fuck all about him man, you've seen as much as the majority of us. you tried to warn us about sessegnon as well. he may not have had a great game last night but only saylor did, the rest were average or diabolical.

let me be clear about one thing, sunderland don't have a centre mid anywhere near the quality of cabaye, and i mean not even close.

Guest Dontooner

Couldn't fault cabaye last night, virtually asking too much from him carrying a whole team of headless chickens. He is the only player left with a footballing brain on the pitch last night(apart from colo) before that we still had barton with him. What we need now is Marv, Ben and Santon to be fit and ready to start. They will fill in blanks and get the team playing football.

Disappointed with the lack of a football system or style......even QPR played much better football with a system in place.

I don't think QPR had a system in place, they just threw some decent footballers together and they did their stuff. Pretty much Pardew's system, except he threw some s*** players together and they played s***, unsurprisingly.

I thought Taarabt was well used as a pivot in the team, also the wingers were not afraid to stay higher up the pitch near the lines. Midfield trio overran ours with more energy.

Is it Strange? that a team with over 4 to 5 new players play better looking football than us?

Not really since they had a game plan to win the match by attacking and setup key roles for a couple of their players to make use of their flair and speed.

Not a Barcelona , Man u , Arsenal or even Fulham style or system.....but well they had a plan unlike Pardew.

We have a improved defensive unit, but  going forward we kinda look worst then most teams atm. We dont have bad players, but our movement off the ball and passing seem to be headless, Tbh i dont think we have a width system to switch play to one side field to the other. Most of the time we go down one channel till play is broken up or we send in a hopeful cross...

I don't think QPR had a system in place, they just threw some decent footballers together and they did their stuff. Pretty much Pardew's system, except he threw some s*** players together and they played s***, unsurprisingly.

I thought Taarabt was well used as a pivot in the team, also the wingers were not afraid to stay higher up the pitch near the lines. Midfield trio overran ours with more energy.

Is it Strange? that a team with over 4 to 5 new players play better looking football than us?

Not really since they had a game plan to win the match by attacking and setup key roles for a couple of their players to make use of their flair and speed.

Not a Barcelona , Man u , Arsenal or even Fulham style or system.....but well they had a plan unlike Pardew.

We have a improved defensive unit, but  going forward we kinda look worst then most teams atm. We dont have bad players, but our movement off the ball and passing seem to be headless, Tbh i dont think we have a width system to switch play to one side field to the other. Most of the time we go down one channel till play is broken up or we send in a hopeful cross...

I'm not saying QPR's team didn't work well together, I just don't believe it was part of a gameplan. Warnock threw some decent players in the mix and it worked out ok. On the contrary, Pardew tried to be a tactical mastermind and ended up being Sam Allardyce.

Guest Dontooner

I'm not saying QPR's team didn't work well together, I just don't believe it was part of a gameplan. Warnock threw some decent players in the mix and it worked out ok. On the contrary, Pardew tried to be a tactical mastermind and ended up being Sam Allardyce.

Think we both agree that we lack a system or a style in place to let the players express themselves better. Probably why almost everyone put all our eggs in one basket here. Namely Ben Afra....

Think we both agree that we lack a system or a style in place to let the players express themselves better. Probably why almost everyone put all our eggs in one basket here. Namely Ben Afra....

Maybe Pardew thinks that way but I believe we have players who can play the Ben Arfa role so we can keep the eggs in the basket, rather than switch to a completely different and prehistoric style of play. Marveaux or Sammy Ameobi could provide a temporary solution just to give two examples.

Guest Dontooner

Indeed we have the type and the right players to attempt the hole system. Pardew have better start changing how we play.

Its bloody frustrating watching players with skill and flair playing like as if Nolan,Smith and Butt were still starting in the team.

I really hope Pardew has it in him to make us play more attractive and productive football. However its also about time for us to have a continental manager or one with that sort of experience.

I'm guessing he meant both play quite deep.

That's what I meant, from what I have seen of both of them in our games, they both play deep and don't seem to suit each others game. Might be a bit premature to say that but not been encouraged by their partnership so far. In isolation I think Cabaye is a good player and a better footballer than Nolan, but Nolan would gamble often and take an opposition midfielder back with him, leaving more space for Tiote and the full backs, so would be more valuable for the team.

That was highlighted last night when we literally didn't pick up a second ball after hitting it forward. As I said we're only four games in but it's a bit worrying for me. Really think we need another player in there. Course we miss Barton who would tuck in and act as a third CM too.

Thought he was one of the worst performers last night. He runs around but he doesn't gobble up ground effectively, he basically just chases. I don't know whether he's been told to sit or that's his natural style of play but he is too deep, he doesn't make an impression on the opposition midfielders to go backwards. Worst of all he has the tendency to go anonymous, seemed like 5-10 minutes went by in the second half that he barely did anything except lose possession in one of the 3 times we managed to string 3 forward passes together. He doesn't make himself open for a pass enough for my liking.

He's contributed to our defensive strength but we need him as an attacking force as he's offered nothing thus far. Needs to show some dynamism, forward runs or passes. Not sure he and Tiote compliment each other as they both sit so deep.

I remember we had Speed & Jenas playing very deep the season we finished 5th and we where a lot more solid that year although we conceded plenty of late goals. Problem here is that we don't have Robert, Solano, Shearer & Bellamy to shoulder the attacking burden. And in any case that seemed a thought-out decision by SBR and we played a particular way. Pardew on the other hand.....

That's what I meant, from what I have seen of both of them in our games, they both play deep and don't seem to suit each others game. Might be a bit premature to say that but not been encouraged by their partnership so far. In isolation I think Cabaye is a good player and a better footballer than Nolan, but Nolan would gamble often and take an opposition midfielder back with him, leaving more space for Tiote and the full backs, so would be more valuable for the team.

That was highlighted last night when we literally didn't pick up a second ball after hitting it forward. As I said we're only four games in but it's a bit worrying for me. Really think we need another player in there. Course we miss Barton who would tuck in and act as a third CM too.

Totally agree with this.

Agree with this. I remember the reason the Parker / Emre partnership never really excelled was because Parker would take on a holding role yet Emre would often be behind him. He had the skill and close control to be effective around the box but never was, prefering to sit in the centre circle.

I think Tiote / Cabaye has more potential than that pair ever did (though Tiote seriously needs to up his game at the moment) but  we really need to see Cabaye further up the pitch. Possibly Emre never had the fitness to get up there regularly, I don't doubt Cabaye does though. Hes also  struck a couple of long rangers that suggest he may have a few goals in him.

Thought he was one of the worst performers last night. He runs around but he doesn't gobble up ground effectively, he basically just chases. I don't know whether he's been told to sit or that's his natural style of play but he is too deep, he doesn't make an impression on the opposition midfielders to go backwards. Worst of all he has the tendency to go anonymous, seemed like 5-10 minutes went by in the second half that he barely did anything except lose possession in one of the 3 times we managed to string 3 forward passes together. He doesn't make himself open for a pass enough for my liking.

He's contributed to our defensive strength but we need him as an attacking force as he's offered nothing thus far. Needs to show some dynamism, forward runs or passes. Not sure he and Tiote compliment each other as they both sit so deep.

I remember we had Speed & Jenas playing very deep the season we finished 5th and we where a lot more solid that year although we conceded plenty of late goals. Problem here is that we don't have Robert, Solano, Shearer & Bellamy to shoulder the attacking burden. And in any case that seemed a thought-out decision by SBR and we played a particular way. Pardew on the other hand.....

Nothing so far, you must have missed his shot against Fulham and his his other attacking moves (forward runs)  before this?  ???

Nothing so far, you must have missed his shot against Fulham and his his other attacking moves (forward runs)  before this?  ???

Meireles (whose not an attacking midfielder) makes more of those in 1 match than Cabaye has in 4. I didn't mean it literally and he still has time to settle in.

I just don't understand the love-in with him thus far.

Meireles (whose not an attacking midfielder) makes more of those in 1 match than Cabaye has in 4. I didn't mean it literally and he still has time to settle in.

I just don't understand the love-in with him thus far.

Maybe that's because a) Meireles has played in England for one season and b) plays for a team that does not just lump the ball forward at every opportunity?

Whilst i didn't see the QPR game, i definitely think that Cabaye and Tiote are better suited to a three-man midfield, rather than the two of them together. Those two and Barton would have become a genuinely dominant midfield trio. See Sunderland second half, once they'd settled. Sigh.

Might be worth trying Marveaux out there, but i'm only basing on about half an hour against Scunthorpe. Played the deep-lying playmaker to good effect there. Jury's certainly out on Gosling and i don't have much confidence in Guthrie as a starter.

Meireles didn't really show up until the latter half of last season IIRC, was certainly nowhere near as good in the first half.

Edit: Aye, 0 goals in 2010 for Liverpool, 5 in 2011. Obviously the change in manager will have been a factor like, but it's harsh to already be trying to compare Cabaye to Meireles when Meireles had a slow start to life in England himself.

Definetly think 3 in midfield is the way to go to bring out the best in Cabaye.

I could be wrong, because I know very little about French football, but didn't Lille play with 3 in the middle when he was there ?

He's a foreigner playing in a new league, a better, more competitive and far quicker league than he's used to, and for a mid table team when he's just left the champions.

Guest Howaythetoon

I don't think Pardew knows how best to use Cabaye who for me should be playing the Nolan role, i.e. either just off the striker or forward of the midfield. He has the instinct and legs to get forward into the box and the shooting ability to get shots away. Him and Tiote get in each others' way or are too close together. Tiote likes to patrol whereas Cabay likes to pass and get forward. Seperate them and play them off each other not together deep as they seem to play or have been playing. I'm liking what I've seen thus far however. He's clearly a good footballer.

Aye I don't think it's him as a player that's the problem as he's obviously talented, more the shocking system, or even lack of system, that's making us struggle at present.

Still only early and things can settle, but we need to have some change or develop some rhythm as we have been poor all season, regardless of the points we've picked up.

Aye I don't think it's him as a player that's the problem as he's obviously talented, more the shocking system, or even lack of system, that's making us struggle at present.

Still only early and things can settle, but we need to have some change or develop some rhythm as we have been poor all season, regardless of the points we've picked up.

so far we have got by due to a decent defence and keeper (mainly the defence mind), Leon Best having 1 moment of class against Fulham and Ryan Taylor having a moment of class against the mackems....even against the likes of Arsenal where we had a good point, Tiote hasnt hit form yet (remains to be seen if its the fasting) and Ba (same possibly) hasnt hit the ground running...

Ben Arfa being back will enable us to win the league tbf, minimum expectation, so am optomistic...