Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

I thought Cabaye was poor today, but as others have said, the excuse we had for a pre season could explain the lack of cohesion in the middle of the park. He needs to work on his strength though, that's my biggest worry, he's a little lightweight for this league. You can be lightweight and effective in the PL,, players like Benyoun (sp?) show us that, but you got to work out what they do to compensate for that lightness, couple of times today Cabaye got in good positions only to be muscled off the ball. 

Still have a lot of hope that he'll adapt, if we had had a proper pre season him and the likes of Ba could be working on adapting to the club/PL but unfortunately now we have to do it in real games.

Didnt have any space to work with really, Arsenal had the extra man in the centre so him and Tiote were constantly chasing the ball trying to block them from getting through. Shower  more quality when he was allowed to move forward more in the second half, however was probably knackered from all the defensive work done earlier on.

Can see him breaking down sides a lot easier when he plays against teams with more space in the middle

I'll give him time. He wasn't anything special toda but his touch looked very good. A little troubled when trying to figure out his role in the game, but wanted to get involved and tried his best to do so. I think him and Tiote will boss many, many midfields this season. Song was pretty decent today and Rosicky had a rare non-shit performance as well, so they'll hopefully show what they're about when up against Cattermole/Colback in a week. Plus, bring Ben Arfa into the equation and we'll be fine.

Could just be me but I thought that he was anonymous for the first 15 mins and then was growing into the game more and more after that. I wouldn't have taken off - thought he was just starting to influence things.

Was happy enough with him - was left with no doubt that he is a definite upgrade on Guthrie anyway

Could be a great player for us, but I have doubts about him and Tiote in a 4-4-2. Would be ideal to have him, Tiote and Ben Arfa in front with Ba up top. Playing 4-4-2 with him and Tiote as a central midfield pairing and Ba and Shola up front surely won't work, as seen today.

Was really frustrated to see him I think. He showed that he had skills when on the ball. But seemed like he tried to hide at times, walking behind arsenal players and numerous occasions. Thought he would seek the ball alot more.

Once he was placed in the hole betweeen midfield and striker at the end of his stint he showed some more. But he also showed us that he ain't a Lampard kind of guy. Will give him some more time though to get warm and get going. Against some lesser sides where he hopefully will have some more time with the ball he will show some great stuff.

Also what I really think lacked in the game was movement from the wings and up front. Moving down into the hole by Ba and Ameobi aswell as forward runs from guiterrez and Barton. When that happends I bet we will see more of his vision for runs and to pick the right pass.

He wasn't horrible and actually showed a lot of promise. But it has to be seen as a 'work in progress' at the minute considering our pre-season from hell. When he gets a bit fitter and becomes comfortable with all these new teammates we'll have quite a player on our hands. It won't take him long, we've got a cracker here.

Even though he wasn't involved as much as I would have liked due to our lack of possession, I did notice that he got into the penalty area a couple of times in goal scoring positions. I think he'll get a few goals over the season once he has got the feel for English football.

Quite clearly the pre-season farce did not help things. He looked a bit off the pace and tired quicky

I was impressed that he was willing to get stuck in, even if he was a little late and quite clearly the lad has an eye for a pass. Also could not have been easy playing against Arsenal as their possession play makes you run around a hell of a lot

He will undoubtedly get fitter and stronger, then we will see the best of him

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Him and Tiote both struggled with fitness in the second half. And all things considered, both did well.

Guest BooBoo

If Nolan had offered up a performance like Cabaye yesterday he would have been slaughtered. However as he's new, it's "showed promise". :lol:

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

If Nolan had offered up a performance like Cabaye yesterday he would have been slaughtered. However as he's new, it's "showed promise". :lol:

What was bad about his performance then?