Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

French football is a great market to tap really. Technically, tactically and physically proficient players who are used to a highly physically intensive league and most of them are desperate to get themselves over the channel to play here.

French football is a great market to tap really. Technically, tactically and physically proficient players who are used to a highly physically intensive league and most of them are desperate to get themselves over the channel to play here.

Aye, and then the sulking starts

Sunday Sun are breaking this news first tomorrow :laugh:

Posted in the twitter thread  :colo:

@Gejon82

Jon Lockwood

@MsiDouglas I'll give you a clue, Cabaye. Exclusive!

MsiDouglas Mark Douglas @

@Gejon82 Jon, your Twitter biog wasn't far wrong! But yeah, big news on him tom.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

All sounds very promising. :)

Also really like that we seem like we want to play some sort of 4-5-1/4-3-3 next year, which I'm always in favour of.

Cabaye Tiote  Nolan

N'Zogbia                    Ben Arfa

Gameiro

I have learned to them as individuals as I have seen too much shite from French football to class it as a league thing. Think of all the shite Houllier signed from France for Liverpool.

Yeah but every league has a lot of shite in it. Generally I think France produces a LOT of good players in terms of actual depth, moreso than the majority of other leagues. You just need to think of some of the Frenchies that can't get near the national squad over the years and also the many that end up playing for African nations.

Well that thread certainly blows apart any sense that we still have a decent reputation in Europe!

"It's a real shame to see him leave for that kind of club"

"Living in Newcastle will be horrible"

Our reputation amongst players must be quite high if the regular starter for the French league champions is prepared to turn his back on Champions League football to sign for us.

To be fair, we are willing to give them chances to shine, and once they are proven in EPL they could join mega clubs within 2 years.  That's quite lucrative.

Surely you would get that chance playing in the Champions League though.

You have to be a key player like Gourcuff if you want to be recognised by those mega clubs.

Actually, Tiote is the best example.  He was hardly a key player in Twente, just a squad player.  However he is such a hit this season that every big clubs are now monitoring his status and prepare to make a bid at any time.  Even such a move cannot materialize, Tiote has already earned a much higher salary than in Twente. That's definitely a success to them.

We are probably using Tiote as our showcase to those players. Or else I don't think a new French international would consider joining us, just like what you said.  The signing of Tiote is just too great.

A counter example is Gomis.  A new French international 2 years ago, rejected a move to us. Similar case, different results.

p.s. Glad that we didn't sign Gomis. Hyped as new Drogba, but is just an average player.

Also really like that we seem like we want to play some sort of 4-5-1/4-3-3 next year, which I'm always in favour of.

Cabaye Tiote   Nolan

N'Zogbia                     Ben Arfa

Gameiro

Cabaye  Tiote

N'Zogbia    Gervinho  Ben Arfa

Gameiro

Cabaye Tiote   Nolan

N'Zogbia                     Ben Arfa

Gameiro

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/avs/avatar_2706.png

I'd prefer Ben Arfa on the right, mind.

Cabaye Tiote  Nolan

Gameiro

Cabaye  Tiote

Gameiro

No way we'll sign Gervinho and N'Zogbia man. :lol:

If we get one of them I'll be over the fucking moon.

Cabaye Tiote  Nolan

Gameiro

Cabaye  Tiote

Gameiro

I just had a tatty watter dribble looking at that

Promising. Bringing in this lad could prove to be the beginning of some kind of domino effect leading to the rest of the Frenchies we're pursuing becoming more keen to sign, knowing that Cabaye and Ben Arfa are here.

Well that thread certainly blows apart any sense that we still have a decent reputation in Europe!

Our reputation amongst players must be quite high if the regular starter for the French league champions is prepared to turn his back on Champions League football to sign for us.

To be fair, we are willing to give them chances to shine, and once they are proven in EPL they could join mega clubs within 2 years.  That's quite lucrative.

You have to be a key player like Gourcuff if you want to be recognised by those mega clubs.

Actually, Tiote is the best example.  He was hardly a key player in Twente, just a squad player.  However he is such a hit this season that every big clubs are now monitoring his status and prepare to make a bid at any time.  Even such a move cannot materialize, Tiote has already earned a much higher salary than in Twente. That's definitely a success to them.

We are probably using Tiote as our showcase to those players. Or else I don't think a new French international would consider joining us, just like what you said.  The signing of Tiote is just too great.

What about the likes of Nasri, Heinze, Malouda, Evra, Abidal, Menez, Sagna, Ribery, Benzema, Mahamadou Diarra.

All of those went from the French league to one of Europe's top clubs and didn't need a stepping stone to do it.

French players are a  lot more career orientated as we have seen previously with Pongolle left Liverpool for Recreativo got a move to A.Madrid, Diarra left Arsenal for Pompey got a move to A.Madrid,  CNZ left NUFC for Wigan will get a move to ???. A PL player will get more exposure than player  with a club with no chance in the CL.

What about the likes of Nasri, Heinze, Malouda, Evra, Abidal, Menez, Sagna, Ribery, Benzema, Mahamadou Diarra.

All of those went from the French league to one of Europe's top clubs and didn't need a stepping stone to do it.

Most of them were there clubs top player, seasoned internationals or quite a few seasons of CL experience behind them.

When  Hazard leaves Lillie he will go to one of Europe's big teams because he is Lille top player.

They are all "key player" or "established international", especially Nasri, Benzema and Ribery.  You can't compare them with Tiote or Cabaye, can you?

A good example for you is Koscielny.  But as I said, that's rare.

http://www.footlille.com/breve-losc-25988-yohan-cabaye-vers-newcastle-.html

No idea what the original source is but this site normally quotes from other sources (Equipe, RMC, etc).

Will translate.

<edit>

"Under contract with Lille until June 2013, Yohan Cabaye is the only Lille player who is able to benefit from a €5m minimum release fee. He will soon be in contact with Newcastle, with who an agreement is close. He could make the move official after the 3 France games. After arriving aged 12, he is about to make his first move. The Lillois club have already seemed to have made moves to replace him, with Benoit Pedretti".

FAIRPLAY TO O-N FOR BREAKING THIS STORY FIRST ON N-O

They are all "key player" or "established international", especially Nasri, Benzema and Ribery.  You can't compare them with Tiote or Cabaye, can you?

A good example for you is Koscielny.  But as I said, that's rare.

I don't even think you can lump Tiote or Cabaye in together since Tiote was more of a squad player from what I've read.

If you were to say all players want to play for the top cubs no matter what Nationality then that wouldn't be far from the truth.