Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

His contribution from his passing is enough anyway, it's always a shame when great players don't get plaudits because they're not goal scorers (remember the daily mail's rather mad critique of the spain squad "10 world class players and Xavi" lololol). Cabaye definately looks like he has plenty of goals in him though, which is excellent.

Hope Given hasn't made Cabaye more cautious about his shooting from outside the box, think he'll terrorise a short on confidence keeper.

:lol: Aye, you've got to feel a tad sorry for a keeper who comes up against Cabaye, Ben-Arfa and Marveaux all hitting form at the same time.

tbh though, keepers love having long range shots at them cause most of the time they will save them and it gives them confidence in games, worst thing is when youve had nowt for 89 minutes then someone gets a freekick right on the edge of the box.

Possibly, but I guess keepers like having long range crap shots to deal with. The sort of babies Cabaye was sending in would have got him a hat-trick against a lot of other keepers.

yeah I reckon he would have scored some of those against another keeper, givens probably on of if not the best shot stopper in the league,  Its the curlers he fears from range due to his height.  He'll lap up power drives all day.

Not in a million years.

I agree, if we're playing Ben Arfa as a trequartista, then I'd rather he orchestrates things from the edge of the box, while Cabaye and others make runs ahead him.

I've found he's always been quite disappointing for me as a trequartista tbh.

I agree, if we're playing Ben Arfa as a trequartista, then I'd rather he orchestrates things from the edge of the box, while Cabaye and others make runs ahead him.

Advanced playmaker with an attack duty works better for me, makes better use of his dribbling skill.

Advanced playmaker with an attack duty works better for me, makes better use of his dribbling skill.

:thup:

With Cabaye's energy, box to box?

I'd agree in attacking midfielder in centre of a 4-2-3-1 with brief to go in for goals, which seems plan, might be worth giving a go in messi role in a 4-3-3 though, hardly be said Messi doesn't make use of dribbling in that role.

That is getting ahead of ourselves though, and would be brave, and reliant on HBA to score plenty of goals as well as wingers, it however does bulk up midfield, arguably a more defensive formation,

Haven't used Cabaye yet, haven't really gotten into a game with the new transfers yet. But I imagine I'd play him box to box aye, wouldn't want to go deep-lying playmaker or there would be too much of a gap between Ben Arfa and the rest of the midfield.

You're a fucking master. :thup:

Guest Dontooner

Very very surprised when we signed him....almost as if we put a voodoo spell on him.

Cabaye has yet to settle  entirely, when he plays for Lille and France he is at his best .

One of his best plays is when his team looses the ball, he will recover it by  tackling tends to leave him scoring or assisting others. ( Not sure i have seen him do it for us, maybe because we use him too extensively as a play maker or the Epl is more defensive.) The success ratio is pretty good as well.

He is a complete midfielder , one which could pass, shoot and tackle. (Liken him to a small Ballack)

I reckon he would perform better when we could relieve some of playmaking roles which keeps him stationary. To better explain this, he is not a skillfull or pacey dribbler, where he could make space for himself in a tight situation and find a pass, like Ben Afra.

Therefore we actually shackle him by needing him close to the ball when we recover it. His best attribute by far is his engine, and it allows him the freedom to cover more ground than others. 

Not available at my location, took my laptop to my bedroom instead, didn't work there either.

If you're using Opera or Mozilla, you can punch in a HTTP-proxy (tools-general options-network). I used the following uk http server 109.123.70.47 port 80. The delay is  between 20-sec - 60 sec, so you got to be  patient. I waited around one minute before the video popped up.