Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

Aye, find solutions. If only it was as simple as that.

Mariappa and Ridgewell were probably the solutions. Not his fault we didn't invest.

so what, just doing nothing and repeatedly playing a player you identify as a weak link is OK is it?  raylor has played all over the pitch, at the expense of our most creative attacking outlet in home games against shite for example, except for RB

don't tell me he doesn't have choices man

where we are right now, again the concern is that pardew isn't finding the answers to keep us there come 10 games time, our form in points and play isn't great and everyone basically seems to be hoping HBA can do the lot on his own

i'm not one who ever thought a CL challenge was remotely realistic fwiw

5 wins in 17 is f***ing atrocious. You know it and I know it but you've painted yourself into a corner with this mug and won't admit that the job he's done since mid December has been very poor.

"Patched up" :lol:  He's picked Danny Simpson in every single game since he was appointed man, that's not patching up, he rates him.

19 points from 17 games is hardly "atrocious", its only slightly worse than the sort of form I was hoping for at the start of the season. You seem to be confusing us with a completely different team.

You were hoping for slightly more than a point per game ???

An extra win in that run of 17 games would give 22 points from 17. Maintaining that form for the whole of the season would probably see us finish around 10th, which was the best I thought we could hope for.

Who have Chelsea, Liverpool or even Sunlun got starting every game that compare in terms of quality to Williamson or Simpson?

what? :lol:

sunderland have got average-poor players, they're just being carried along by new manager syndrome atm

You were talking about the clubs 'around us' having plenty of average-poor players too. Liverpool and Chelsea are either side of us if you hadn't noticed.

Name some of these players from the clubs around us to support you point. Our weak links are far weaker than those of the mentioned clubs, and you know it.

Ok, if our weak links are in defence what's the reasoning for basing our entire game on being hard to beat? It worked earlier in the season, it hasn't been working for months and he's doing absolutely nothing about it.

Ok, if our weak links are in defence what's the reasoning for basing our entire game on being hard to beat? It worked earlier in the season, it hasn't been working for months and he's doing absolutely nothing about it.

:lol: steven taylor must have been the lynchpin, only explanation...last time i checked good managers weren't the ones who were only good when their plan worked and they had a first choice 11

Who have Chelsea, Liverpool or even Sunlun got starting every game that compare in terms of quality to Williamson or Simpson?

sunderland have got average-poor players, they're just being carried along by new manager syndrome atm

You were talking about the clubs 'around us' having plenty of average-poor players too. Liverpool and Chelsea are either side of us if you hadn't noticed.

Name some of these players from the clubs around us to support you point. Our weak links are far weaker than those of the mentioned clubs, and you know it.

every good team bases their work off the ball in being hard to beat, then they become more expansive when they get possession.

every good team bases their work off the ball in being hard to beat, then they become more expansive when they get possession.

Yeah I know, I just think with the available players it's the wrong way to go for us at the minute, we have enough quality to beat the majority of teams if we attack them.

Yeah I know, I just think with the available players it's the wrong way to go for us at the minute, we have enough quality to beat the majority of teams if we attack them.

This is easy to believe in but I'm not sure it's true. Say we loosened up and attacked the majority of teams, we could easily be conceding two goals a game, or close to it. I'm not sure we would be able to score 3.

Obviously it's a balance and impossible to prove either way, but it's a tough one to call IMO.

What we want isn't really "attacking" football, its possession football which isn't always the same thing. Swansea has conceded (and scored) fewer goals than us, simply because they hold on to the ball so much better than everyone else.

I'd also like to think that they've proven that you don't need Barca-level players to play good possession football.

What we want isn't really "attacking" football, its possession football which isn't always the same thing. Swansea has conceded (and scored) fewer goals than us, simply because they hold on to the ball so much better than everyone else.

I'd also like to think that they've proven that you don't need Barca-level players to play good possession football.

I dont want possession football, possession football is boring as f*ck.

I just want us to pass through midfield instead of completely by passing it, theres a difference between possession football and a direct style based on accurate passing and wing play.

Possession football is sexy as hell. The first half against Fulham at St James' is something that we should aim to replicate every match. We were patient then, passed it around well and didn't just launch balls into the box at every opportunity. The amount of times we restarted was actually very surprising but the result was that Fulham barely got a touch in the first half. That kind of play - patient passing and probing - yields far better results in terms of points and of course it completely nullifies their attack because they don't have the ball.

We've had better matches this season - Villa away, Man Utd home - but that first half at St James against Fulham was where we passed it around best, and in that game Cabaye had a very good game.

This is easy to believe in but I'm not sure it's true. Say we loosened up and attacked the majority of teams, we could easily be conceding two goals a game, or close to it. I'm not sure we would be able to score 3.

Obviously it's a balance and impossible to prove either way, but it's a tough one to call IMO.

Alright then, not the majority, at least half. I can't see us easily conceding two goals a game if we keep the ball well as others have said.

I dont want possession football, possession football is boring as f*ck.

I just want us to pass through midfield instead of completely by passing it, theres a difference between possession football and a direct style based on accurate passing and wing play.

What you've described there is more or less the way Aston Villa used to play under Martin O'Neil, I think. It works, but eh, we have two, maybe three CMs very capable of strutting it around. Our wing play (Ben Arfa aside) is terrible most of the time anyway.

Guest Shaun

Possession football is sexy as hell. The first half against Fulham at St James' is something that we should aim to replicate every match. We were patient then, passed it around well and didn't just launch balls into the box at every opportunity. The amount of times we restarted was actually very surprising but the result was that Fulham barely got a touch in the first half. That kind of play - patient passing and probing - yields far better results in terms of points and of course it completely nullifies their attack because they don't have the ball.

We've had better matches this season - Villa away, Man Utd home - but that first half at St James against Fulham was where we passed it around best, and in that game Cabaye had a very good game.

We lost 5-2.

Guest Shaun

Same with Spurs. We played that way and lost heavy. Can't understand why all these people are asking to play that way with the defence we have at the moment.

You can't play possession (Swansea esque) football with 4-4-2. I'd prefer us just to vary it up nicely like we were doing early doors in the season rather than going far too much one way (Brighton (a) or the other (last couple). It ain't rocket science.

Guest Shaun

Did you not read his post or did you just ignore it?

Shaun doesn't have a working brain,be easy with him Ian

I'm telling it how it is. You can play sexy football and lose 5-0 or play ugly football and win 1-0. I know which I'd rather we play.

We lost 5-2.

Have we actually played them at St James this season :lol: (edit: hmm, tight 2-1 win?)

The first half was sexy stuff, but in the second half we just gave them the ball and they raped us with it.