Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

Guest neesy111

There has been no stage this season where Cabaye has been 'shit' compared to Guthrie. There's been times where Guthrie has matched and sometimes outshone Cabaye's ability on the ball in games, but that's it. It's as if people are just completely ignoring the vast difference in both players when it comes to ground covered, pressing, positional play, tackling, tactical awareness etc etc.

I'm not taking anything away from Guthrie who's had a bit of a breakthrough season in his career but it's just ridiculous hyperbole.

Guthrie is dreadful off the ball and he was a common defactor in the games against Fulham and Spurs where our midfield was completely over-ran.

I still can't believe some people actually considered putting Guthrie ahead of him a few months back.

:yao:

You mean when Cabaye was playing s*** and Guthrie was playing really well?

:troll: Never mind. Worked out alright.

when cabaye wasn't at his best he was still very good defensivly, at his best guthrie is a decent passer with no defensive capabilities at all. if you play central midfiled you have to be a brilliiant passer (cabaye type from yesterday) all the time to be worth carrying as  half a midfielders game is defensive.

Guest andrew

I still can't believe some people actually considered putting Guthrie ahead of him a few months back.

:yao:

When playing in a normal 4-4-2, Guthrie's probably the more suited player to that system. Different system, different situation.

What? Where he has to run and do more work :lol:

Guest Howaythetoon

Play him more advanced all the time and he will get double figures in goals and assists easily. Next season he will be immense. He's a very classy player, he has it all really.

Guest bimpy474

Love seing Cabaye play in this role, where he belongs! Will score 10+ goals next season me thinks.

I said this ages ago, he is brilliant in a 3 in the middle, spent his whole career in France playing that way (his words), when its just him and Tiote he gives up a lot of his creativity to chase the ball. With Tiote and Jonas giving him license to roam its been lovely to watch.

IIRC the season where he scored quite many for Lille (was it 15?) he played in a more advanced position like for us now, but after that Hazard started taking/getting more space and a bigger role for them, that meant that Cabye got a deeper role and maybe not as offensive. (i know that Hazards starting position on paper was the same as Ba's mostly, but in a quite free role)

Anyone who can confirm this?

On the Guthrie/Cabaye debate. I still think Guthrie technically and vision wise is on par with Cabaye but Guthrie's engine lets him down. I think fate will see Cabaye become a great footballer who plays on the European stage, where as Guthrie's football will be played at another club, where he will prosper IMO.

On the Guthrie/Cabaye debate. I still think Guthrie technically and vision wise is on par with Cabaye but Guthrie's engine lets him down. I think fate will see Cabaye become a great footballer who plays on the European stage, where as Guthrie's football will be played at another club, where he will prosper IMO.

i don't think guthrie could spot or execute that ball yesterday, or the type of ball for ba's first at norwich, the ball for cisse at swansea or the break at WBA for ben arfa.

i don't think guthrie could spot or execute that ball yesterday, or the type of ball for ba's first at norwich, the ball for cisse at swansea or the break at WBA for ben arfa.

I think he could TBH, he's a clever lad. Although, i must say Cabaye seems to be getting better by the week and will most likley surpass anything Guthrie will achieve.

I'm a big fan of Guthrie though, he will be a very good player for most sides in this league (should he leave).

He hasn't really done it at any point of his NUFC career though. He's picked out some cracking raking passes into players in space before (Coloccini last season, Carroll a few times in the Championship) but nothing like those that madras listed.

IIRC the season where he scored quite many for Lille (was it 15?) he played in a more advanced position like for us now, but after that Hazard started taking/getting more space and a bigger role for them, that meant that Cabye got a deeper role and maybe not as offensive. (i know that Hazards starting position on paper was the same as Ba's mostly, but in a quite free role)

Anyone who can confirm this?

I remember a French journalist saying that he played in the Frank Lampard role when he scored all the goals but that the following season, he was playing further back in a more defensive role and that was the reason he had scored a lot less goals that season.