Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

Lost Toure for the first goal, if he had of kept with him it would have made it a lot tougher for him.

But, he's generally been excellent all season. I really think he'll kick on next year too.

Wasnt really Cabayes fault... He was trying to push forward and make our attack tick more .. we lsot possesion .. hed ran his arse off for 65 minutes and was knackered.. really think we should have played with a midfield 3 ... with ferguson left wing and gutierrez defensive mid....

Well, knackered or not, he didnt follow Toures run. I'm not having a pop, just saying it would have been a lot tougher for Toure if Cabs had of followed him.

Guest firetotheworks

I don't think its a fault of Cabaye's any more than Kompany's performance was a fault of Cisse and Ba. Toure and Kompany were the best I've seen against us this season. They were exceptional throughout.

I don't think its a fault of Cabaye's any more than Kompany's performance was a fault of Cisse and Ba. Toure and Kompany were the best I've seen against us this season. They were exceptional throughout.

Agreed Hart, Kompany, Toure and Silva were magnificent ..

Restricted in the 4-4-2.

As is Ben Arfa and practically all our attacking players bar Ba, which is why i find it baffling why theres any reason why we use it.

Hopefully we'll only see it on the odd occasion next season, tbf it worked against Chelsea and I can see why he did it today. With better fullbacks the 4-3-3 is going to offer even more next season.

Restricted in the 4-4-2.

As is Ben Arfa and practically all our attacking players bar Ba, which is why i find it baffling why theres any reason why we use it.

Can understand why he did it when you look at the power of their midfield. Wish we'd switched to it in the second half early on though, might have swung the game if it worked.

Cabaye has had a fantastic first season here and I'm sure his second will be even better.  He's been a massive upgrade on the bloke he's replaced and I think that's all we can ask of him.

Restricted in the 4-4-2.

Hopefully we'll only see it on the odd occasion next season, tbf it worked against Chelsea and I can see why he did it today. With better fullbacks the 4-3-3 is going to offer even more next season.

Yh i agree on the odd occasion it can work against certain teams like Chelsea but more often than not i think 4-3-3 should be used and i would hope it will.

Btw i agree on the corners part, they are f*ckin awful  :laugh:

None the less, he's such a great player and truly an amazing bargain for 4.5m ffs and has showed this season what a complete midfielder he is..... he can press, tackle, intercept,pass, score goals..... and top it all off he's a sexy bastard  :smitten:

Our 4-4-2 is solid as f***, that's why. With Tiote/Cabaye in the middle. Everybody protects each other in that position. The CM's are positionally superb in the formation.

It takes something special to break us down with that formation and that's what Toure did.

Use it on the odd occasion? We are 5th and we've used it for 80% of the season. Against weaker sides, especially at home. The 4-2-3-1 is a hit. But otherwise. 4-4-2 and be solid as fuck.

Our 4-4-2 is solid as f***, that's why. With Tiote/Cabaye in the middle. Everybody protects each other in that position. The CM's are positionally superb in the formation.

It takes something special to break us down with that formation and that's what Toure did.

Use it on the odd occasion? We are 5th and we've used it for 80% of the season. Against weaker sides, especially at home. The 4-2-3-1 is a hit. But otherwise. 4-4-2 and be solid as fuck.

:thup:

Use it on the odd occasion? We are 5th and we've used it for 80% of the season. Against weaker sides, especially at home. The 4-2-3-1 is a hit. But otherwise. 4-4-2 and be solid as f***.

What? if anything 4-4-2 is more open against the top sides than 4-2-3-1 is..... most teams play 3 in midfield and 4-4-2 means we are outnumbered in midfield and offer f*ck all going forward.....

The first goal came about because Yaya was free because no one was marking him because thier 2 CM's occupied our 2 Cm's which gave Yaya to space to do what he did.

In 4-2-3-1 that would'nt have happened because its practically a 4-3-3 anyway.

4-4-2 is no more solid than the 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 infact if anything its less solid especially against teams that play 3 or more in midfield.

Look how open Man Utd was in europe using the 4-4-2 ffs its an out-dated system i dont see a single advantage to  playing it.....

You want 2 positional excellent CM's in the middle? 4-2-3-1 provides that but not only that it actually allows to actually create going forward and does'nt force our best players to in thier own half all match.

The only difference between the two is Jonas comes inside and Ba goes to left and Cabaye moves slightly more further forward and it allows to have more attacking fluidity while having defensive steel and balance.

I do remind you that we won 6 in a row using this system while conceding one goal ( which was a defensive mix up between CB and GK ) and scoring 13 goals.

It's not like its a gung ho system which makes us look defensively weak, one shit performance against Wigan does'nt change that.

There is not a single advantage to playing 4-4-2, not one.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

Use it on the odd occasion? We are 5th and we've used it for 80% of the season. Against weaker sides, especially at home. The 4-2-3-1 is a hit. But otherwise. 4-4-2 and be solid as f***.

What? if anything 4-4-2 is more open against the top sides than 4-2-3-1 is..... most teams play 3 in midfield and 4-4-2 means we are outnumbered in midfield and offer f*ck all going forward.....

The first goal came about because Yaya was free because no one was marking him because thier 2 CM's occupied our 2 Cm's which gave Yaya to space to do what he did.

In 4-2-3-1 that would'nt have happened because its practically a 4-3-3 anyway.

4-4-2 is no more solid than the 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 infact if anything its less solid especially against teams that play 3 or more in midfield.

Look how open Man Utd was in europe using the 4-4-2 ffs its an out-dated system i dont see a single advantage to  playing it.....

You want 2 positional excellent CM's in the middle? 4-2-3-1 provides that but not only that it actually allows to actually create going forward and does'nt force our best players to in thier own half all match.

The only difference between the two is Jonas comes inside and Ba goes to left and Cabaye moves slightly more further forward and it allows to have more attacking fluidity while having defensive steel and balance.

I do remind you that we won 6 in a row using this system while conceding one goal ( which was a defensive mix up between CB and GK ) and scoring 13 goals.

It's not like its a gung ho system which makes us look defensively weak, one s*** performance against Wigan does'nt change that.

There is not a single advantage to playing 4-4-2, not one.

Brilliant post. Couldn't agree more with this

i'm a huge fan of 4-2-3-1 and such but to say there's no advantage to 4-4-2 is silly, having two men up top occupies their defense and keeps them from surging forward.

This isn't really relevant though, the main important factor is the rigidity of the players within the formation, 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 means more players are available to be passed to and so becomes a fluid passing team. However more fluid means that you will struggle more defensively, but with capable midfielders etc this is less of an issue. I agree that 4-2-3-1 with Jonas and Tiote holding it's no more open than a classic 4-4-2 and indeed maybe more defensive though.

All I would say is I don't think the margins were so wide that Pardew made a clear mistake. By leaving Ba and Cisse up top  to try and bully their defense and make them cautious attacking they may well have been more reserved in attacking, and we could easily have got a goal if a ball had landed favorably. We were largely playing on the counter and so our attacks were mainly get it to Hatem or Jonas to run it up the pitch and I wouldn't object.

The mistake I think Pardew is making is playing Ba but I suspect that's man management as much as anything. He wasn't great but he wasn't a liability either.

The mistake I think Pardew is making is playing Ba but I suspect that's man management as much as anything. He wasn't great but he wasn't a liability either.

Who would you have in his place? Legit question, not trying to be a dick.

Guest Sophie S

What I love about Cabaye, are the little things that combine to a big picture: How he very quickly learned English in his free time, his little extra training on his own before the normal training sessions, him always clapping fans when he's taking corners and staying behind to clap fans after the match, standing up for his team mates on the pitch and how he always, always speaks well about the club.

I think that shows that he is not just here to perform a job, he's not one of those sitting down and expecting things to adapt around them. He came to live, work and enjoy his time here. He seems such a good guy, that wants to give a lot. I'd actually say he's one of the players I'd be least worried about leaving at the moment and one of my favourite players at the same time.

Having said that, his passing skill is brilliant. I think it was against Blackburn (h) that he really impressed me for the first time. He was doing a few cross field passes and they were absolutely spot on. I remember thinking that I've never seen such lovely passing live before.  :love:

Who would you have in his place? Legit question, not trying to be a dick.

I would have had ferguson on the wing in 4-3-3, or Gosling in centre and Jonas on the left, or Raylor left back, Santon Right back and perch centre.

TBH Ba playing might be the best of those options, but he's a weak link atm.

Guest je85

https://twitter.com/#!/davidmcrossan is translating a french media interview again.

Yohan Cabaye has been speaking to French media again. He was Luis Fernandez's guest on RMC radio last night.

"We weren't ridiculous against City, I think. They were better than us in the second half but I don't think we played badly."

City showed in the Manchester derby and on Sunday that they are stronger than United and that they have better individual players.

"I used the criticism of my choice to join Newcastle to work hard and prove to people that I hadn't made a mistake."

"Everything's going well. The club's perfect and we'll be in Europe next season."

"The stadium's always full and the fans are really something so I'm happy at Newcastle. I can't wait to play in Europe with them."

"Hatem has been amazing towards the end of the season. I saw the French coach said he hadn't forgotten about him...

... , even when he was injured and that Hatem's one of the players who could potentially be selected."

cont. :"That's great news for Hatem and the French team."

"Sadly Bacary Sagna got injured but that has opened the door for Mathieu Debuchy and I hope he'll be picked for the Euro."

David Crossan ‏ @davidmcrossan

Yohan Cabaye has been speaking to French media again. He was Luis Fernandez's guest on RMC radio last night.

#Cabaye #nufc: "We weren't ridiculous against City, I think. They were better than us in the second half but I don't think we played badly."

#Cabaye: City showed in the Manchester derby and on Sunday that they are stronger than United and that they have better individual players.

#Cabaye: "I used the criticism of my choice to join Newcastle to work hard and prove to people that I hadn't made a mistake."

#Cabaye: "Everything's going well. The club's perfect and we'll be in Europe next season." #nufc

#Cabaye: "The stadium's always full and the fans are really something so I'm happy at Newcastle. I can't wait to play in Europe with them."

#Cabaye: "Hatem has been amazing towards the end of the season. I saw the French coach said he hadn't forgotten about him even when he was injured and that Hatem's one of the players who could potentially be selected."

#Cabaye cont. :"That's great news for Hatem and the French team."

#Cabaye: "Sadly Bacary Sagna got injured but that has opened the door for Mathieu Debuchy and I hope he'll be picked for the Euro."

"The club's perfect" :aww:

Guest hatem garrincha

Blanc on #Cabaye: "He was a player I thought was playing well at Lille and at Newcastle he has backed that up...

... He's had an excellent first season and has taken on a new, superior dimension." #Blanc on #Cabaye

"Tactcially he's very good, he sees the game faster than the others and has a superior game intelligence." #Blanc on #Cabaye

Guest hatem garrincha

I reckon he's nailed on for the final squad.

Well done Yohan :clap:

Yohan will be a starter in Ukraine as CM, alongside Mvila.

No doubt.