Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

Great quotes to here tbh. If Pardew is insistent on not keeping his trap shut, those are the kinds of quotes I'd have liked to have seen from him.

Commitment to the cause, honesty, accountability for his performance and professionalism.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/sep/16/newcastle-united-everton-premier-league

When Alan Pardew talked about particular players at Newcastle United having their "heads turned" during the transfer window, the France midfielder Yohan Cabaye seemed a prime example.

While Pardew made it clear that his Senegal forwards, Papiss Cissé and Demba Ba, need to "get their arses into gear", the Newcastle manager's disappointment with Cabaye has been more discreet.

At his best the France playmaker controls the team's tempo but a combination of post Euro 2012 fatigue, the absence of his injured sidekick Cheik Tioté and, possibly, the news that Arsenal were keen on moving him to the Emirates last month has seen Cabaye struggle.

The midfielder blames it on exhaustion rather than any lack of enthusiasm or loyalty. "I'm very happy here and I've never thought any different," said Cabaye before Monday's trip to Everton. "But I've felt really tired. It was hard straight after the Euros. It's the first time I've come back after a big international competition in my career. And it had been a hard first season in England, with all the games and no winter break.

"I'm working very hard to get fit. I want to play every game at full speed for 90 minutes and I'll get there. I don't want to make excuses, it has been difficult for me but I'll work more, rest better and I'll be fine."

After finishing fifth last season some Newcastle fans are worried that the squad lacks depth while rumours – rebutted by the club – suggesting that senior players have become disillusioned by a shortage of summer signings have dominated messageboards and social networking sites.

Cabaye suggests such concerns are unwarranted. "The spirit is just as strong as it was last season," he said. "But we will have to be stronger mentally than before. We surprised people when we finished fifth. This year is different, every team knows what we can do and we are a target. We're going to have to be better this season to keep going. The right mentality is very important for us and I think we have that in the dressing room. Personally, I'm late getting back to full fitness and sharpness but I won't let my confidence suffer. I haven't played as well as last season but my best form will come."

Pardew is puzzled by the annoyance of Everton's management and players about supposedly inflammatory comments he is reported to have made last spring – but which he claims he has no recollection of – to the effect that Newcastle were "operating in a different league" from the Merseysiders.

What Pardew actually said was: "Forget about Everton and Aston Villa, we've put ourselves in a similar position to Arsenal" but, to place things in context, it was part of a long answer to a question about whether he would struggle to retain key players. Pardew felt that, like Arsenal, this was something Newcastle could be especially vulnerable to. Moreover he subsequently reflected that it would be a "big ask" for his team to finish above Everton again this season.

If Pardew's confinement to the stands as punishment for shoving a match official last month precludes the possibility of any technical area fisticuffs, David Moyes will be encouraged by the loss to injury of some key visiting players including Tim Krul, Fabricio Coloccini, Tioté, Danny Simpson and Ryan Taylor.

Steve Harper, the third-choice goalkeeper last term, will be recalled. Much may hinge on how Moyes's defence handles Hatem Ben Arfa, Newcastle's outstanding individual.

Hi Louise!  :lol:

Guest firetotheworks

It's mad how he goes from Carlton Palmer to Xavi just by playing 10-15 yards further forward. Exaggeration like, but ye nah.

It's mad how he goes from Carlton Palmer to Xavi just by playing 10-15 yards further forward. Exaggeration like, but ye nah.

:lol: drop him 10 further back and he goes from Carlton Palmer to Carlton Banks