Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

Cabaye is a far better footballer than Nolan ever was, or ever would be - his problems are not in any lack of ability or effectiveness, but lie in the fact that he is not being used correctly or in a way that shows his strengths. He has looked far better when playing for France than he has at NUFC these past few months and in my opinion his best games for us were against Villa away last season and Man U at SJP last season.

He is undoubtedly sore that the Debuchy transfer fell through after he did his best to sell the club to the player and he probably thinks that we are not going to keep making progfess under the current regime ; I won't be surprised if he is sold either in Jan or the summer.

A disillusioned player if ever I saw one.

Cabaye's goals are always going to be a bonus for me, we can't and shouldn't rely on them or expect them.

The most important thing is whether he's imposing himself on games, making the right passes and contributing to creating the right rhythm in the game and comfort in possession. At the moment he isn't doing this really, and he's not being helped by Tiote's absence and the lack of dynamism in the rest of the team.

I think it's perfectly fair to expect a central midfielder who is a first team choice to chip in 6-9 goals a season. Of course we should expect them.

I don't think Tiote's absence fully explains Cabaye's poor form as they've never been a particularly harmonious pairing. Like too many pairings in the side, there's a chronic lack of understanding between the two.

Whose to say he won't? he's our joint 2nd top scorer :lol:

As i said play him consistently as the most advanced midfielder instead of getting him to take to recieve the ball from the CB's and he will score goals.

Anyway he's so much more than just goals but none the less play him in the role he's suppose to be in instead of being a bloody ball winner and he will score and create goals.

No coincident he's played better this season when he's been given more freedom.

There's far too many excuses being made for Cabaye this season. It can't be his fault! It can't be!

It's definitely both (player + manager). It's the same with Cisse; not playing to his strengths but he's playing absolutely shit anyway. Ba's somehow manifested seven goals out of our limp attack so far. Cisse's got no excuses for basic footballing attributes completely abandoning him, in the same way Cabaye's got no excuse for letting his poor mentality getting the better of him and him fading out of games.

If you pay attention, my excuses are playing style, system and overall attacking game plan which are restricting our best players....

Not just Cabaye.... everyone.

Well except for Ba anyway who is quite blatantly the only player who fits what we are doing at the moment and it shows with his performances.

Players only perform when they are given the platform to perform by the tactics and style of play.... you can't expect players like Cisse, Cabaye and Ben Arfa to perform to the best when we are playing like this it's just not possible.

Hell replace Cisse with Falcao, Cabaye with Xavi and Ben Arfa with Messi and we wouldn't do any better..... a massive example of this is Messi for Argentina for years they didn't give him the platform to perform and now they do he's performing.... coincidence? nope.

Doesn't matter how good you are if you are not given the platform to perform then you won't.

There's far too many excuses being made for Cabaye this season. It can't be his fault! It can't be!

It's definitely both (player + manager). It's the same with Cisse; not playing to his strengths but he's playing absolutely s*** anyway. Ba's somehow manifested seven goals out of our limp attack so far. Cisse's got no excuses for basic footballing attributes completely abandoning him, in the same way Cabaye's got no excuse for letting his poor mentality getting the better of him and him fading out of games.

Agree with that. Some players just aren't pulling their weight and it exacerbates the other problems we're having.

For all the criticism about Nolan needing the team built around him there's plenty of talk in here about Cabaye needing something similar.

It's definitely both (player + manager). It's the same with Cisse; not playing to his strengths but he's playing absolutely s*** anyway. Ba's somehow manifested seven goals out of our limp attack so far. Cisse's got no excuses for basic footballing attributes completely abandoning him, in the same way Cabaye's got no excuse for letting his poor mentality getting the better of him and him fading out of games.

Agree with that. Some players just aren't pulling their weight and it exacerbates the other problems we're having.

For all the criticism about Nolan needing the team built around him there's plenty of talk in here about Cabaye needing something similar.

Nope not really but your asking for goals and all i'm saying is playing him in the position he's deployed in when we play with a 3 that he will score goals and has done.

He can play deeper the issue at the moment( he does for France to perfection) is that he's playing so deep he's picking the ball up from Williamson and the fact we don't even use the midfield at the moment and it's flying over his head.

I don't know what people expect from a central midfielder when we don't even use the midfield at the moment, it's like a Stoke fan having a go at Adam or Whelan as they are not even used.

I really don't understand this agenda people have, it's quite obvious the way we play is not suiting the team and how anyone can expect technically gifted players to excel under a stoke style of play is beyond me.

Regardless of his awful form, we really can't lose another first team player.

The injury luck we had last year, is really swinging the other way.

He's not playing well but bloody hell, what sort of midfield we looking at for Saturday now (and be realistic, it will be a midfield 4)

HBA.  Tiote.  Anita.  Ferguson.

:lol: What a load of toss.