Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

Five man midfield restricts him and Tiote

I'm not really sure why. I would have thought having two defensive midfielders playing in Tiote and Anita would mean more licence to get forward for the likes of Cabaye and Sissoko, but both were more concerned with defending as well. Shame really as I think Arsenal are far from defensively sound if you attack them with intent

Yeah it was just so congested in there that when we won the ball it was all so tight we could not move the ball enough fast enough before we were under pressure again, Remy on his own was never going to push their back four deeper so they just pinned us for long periods.

They pinned us back by pushing players into our half. We should try it some time, especially at home.

Had we had two upfront they would not have found that so easy to do

Guest bimpy474

Five man midfield restricts him and Tiote

I'm not really sure why. I would have thought having two defensive midfielders playing in Tiote and Anita would mean more licence to get forward for the likes of Cabaye and Sissoko, but both were more concerned with defending as well. Shame really as I think Arsenal are far from defensively sound if you attack them with intent

Didn't today show the difference between the two managers mentalities. Pardew wants our wide midfielders to cover the full backs constantly (exactly the reason Ben Arfa doesn't start), and Wenger who lets his wider men push further up and cover their full backs less.

Still didn't think we were that defensive, i just think Pardew looks at a players defensive work before he does his attacking quality. Again hence why Ben Arfa isn't starting.

Cabaye would do better in this position if he had more players in offensive positions than we do now, our "wingers" are almost like fullbacks, with starting positions way too deep. When he get's the ball our wide players haven't even got up the pitch yet, at least not very much. With some flair out on the flanks he'd get some more space in the centre as well.

Guest bimpy474

They protect their fullbacks by falling to the ground and rolling around when they lose the ball

Santi did that time and time again today. One of them he went down under no touch, then moaned he didn't get the free kick. Honestly It's pathetic stuff.

I know I know its talkshit

Blanc cools Cabaye to PSG talk

Paris Saint-Germain boss Laurent Blanc has cooled suggestions he will move for Newcastle United midfielder Yohan Cabaye despite reiterating his admiration for the France international.

The 27-year-old has frequently been linked with a move to PSG over the past year, with former France manager Blanc consistently effusive in his praise of the playmaker.

But Blanc, whose side are top of Ligue 1 and through to the last 16 of the Champions League, has suggested he may not be particularly active during the forthcoming winter transfer window.

When asked about Cabaye, he told L'Equipe: "He is a very good player and I have always thought this, but I have nothing more to say.

"We will not change much. This is the only thing I can tell you. But if there is movement, it will not be much. I am very happy with my squad."

Cabaye was unsettled earlier this year in the wake of a failed £10m bid from Arsenal, but he has successfully reintegrated himself back into Newcastle's first-team set-up and has responded with five Premier League goals and a string of commanding displays.

Read more at http://talksport.com/football/blanc-cools-cabaye-psg-talk-13123073663#mt5rQ81CtiwuRyO1.99

/quote]

He lacked passing options against arsenal IMO.

As some have pointed out when you only have Remy in front of you who is being double teamed by 2 strong cbs we need to be more expansive and provide him options to get the very best out of him

I don't think we'd sell unless there was a super ridiculous bid in January. Thing is for his World Cup ambitions we suit him right now. He's one of the main men if not the main man and that sets him up well for the summer and a place in the French side. A move in jan might jeopardize that.

He'll be gone in the summer though, no doubt about it.

Such a tiresome debate. I have no doubt part of Pardew's renumeration is based on profit on player sales amongst other things (as Golfmag has said from day one), so it's no surprise he keeps coming out with comments like these, which although factually correct (as we all know) are completely unnecessary and counter productive to what should be his primary aim: assembling a squad of players as good as it possibly can be and having them perform as well as they possibly can.

Such a tiresome debate. I have no doubt part of Pardew's renumeration is based on profit on player sales amongst other things (as Golfmag has said from day one), so it's no surprise he keeps coming out with comments like these, which although factually correct (as we all know) are completely unnecessary and counter productive to what should be his primary aim: assembling a squad of players as good as it possibly can be and having them perform as well as they possibly can.

Many managers get a percentage of any player sales if there is a certain amount of profit involved. I remember listening to a phone-in on Radio Newcastle the week before KK resigned in 1997 and a caller asked John Anderson and the programme host whether it was true that KK got a percentage of the fee for one of our promising players who had been recently sold ; the 2 programme hosts were VERY reluctant to affirm this and tried to get around the question by saying that it was KK's private business...the caller stated, correctly in my view, that if the sale of players was forming part of a manager's income, then he, as a supporter who was paying towards the club's income, had every right to know whether this was a fact or not.

He further stated that he had it in good authority that Brian Clough had a similar agreement written into his contracts at his various clubs. I don't for a minute think that KK would have sold a player unless he thought the player was not going to break into the team, but then he was getting well paid by NUFC at the time ; we don't know if Pardew is being well paid by PL standards but we suspect not, so there may be a temptation to sell players if the sale would add to his income significantly.

I guess we'll never really know, so you have to make your own judgement on it all.

Joins the debate.

Humour me for a second and go along with my thinking he doesn't just randomly blurt this stuff out like he has player sales tourettes what should his answer be?

No comment - which is only going to fuel further speculation.

He isn't for sale at any price - We know he is lying so what is the point in him saying it? It would be as patronising as half the other bollocks he comes out with.

He will be a Newcastle player until someone meets our asking price - I can see why some see this as touting the player but at least he isn't just blatantly lying to us (in this instance).

Everyone knows Ashley will sell if he gets an acceptable offer for a player, this was shown when Carroll went to Liverpool. It isn't some inside secret between The club and the fans.