Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

We got Cabaye for a bargain price and we were always going to be a stepping stone if he shone.  He’s at the absolute peak of his form and value right now, but his form hasn’t been particularly consistent in the past. It makes sense to sell him now, even if he would be happy to stay.

:anguish:

agree with this tbf

To be absolutely honest there has been quite a long time recently where nobody would shed a tear about Cabaye going. Slightly unlucky that this is happening when he's finally putting some good form together.

We got Cabaye for a bargain price and we were always going to be a stepping stone if he shone.  He’s at the absolute peak of his form and value right now, but his form hasn’t been particularly consistent in the past. It makes sense to sell him now, even if he would be happy to stay.

agree with this tbf

He took his time to find his feet after a first season and a subsequent one where everyone sucked. Now that he's reaching his peak and is one of our best players, I don't see why we should advocate selling one of our best players especially when replacements, if any, might not have the same impact or would take similar time to settle down.

agree with this tbf

To be absolutely honest there has been quite a long time recently where nobody would shed a tear about Cabaye going. Slightly unlucky that this is happening when he's finally putting some good form together.

assuming any of it is true of course, but i agree with you for once yeah...i hope he makes it to the mackems game if he is going, goes out in style by destroying them to utter fuck and robert's his way out of the stadium

Guest Roger Kint

agree with this tbf

assuming any of it is true of course, but i agree with you for once yeah...i hope he makes it to the mackems game if he is going, goes out in style by destroying them to utter fuck and robert's his way out of the stadium

Does the transfer window go beyond 31 Jan this year?

agree with this tbf

He took his time to find his feet after a first season and a subsequent one where everyone sucked. Now that he's reaching his peak and is one of our best players, I don't see why we should advocate selling one of our best players especially when replacements, if any, might not have the same impact or would take similar time to settle down.

i didn't advocate the other part of the post, i just said i agreed with the part i bolded fwiw

agree with this tbf

assuming any of it is true of course, but i agree with you for once yeah...i hope he makes it to the mackems game if he is going, goes out in style by destroying them to utter f*** and robert's his way out of the stadium

Ends on the 31st iirc.

agree with this tbf

I definitely wouldn't 'advocate selling him', just saying that this recent period probably represents his best-ever form rather than his general play for the club.

Guest Roger Kint

agree with this tbf

assuming any of it is true of course, but i agree with you for once yeah...i hope he makes it to the mackems game if he is going, goes out in style by destroying them to utter f*** and robert's his way out of the stadium

Ends on the 31st iirc.

Will be impressive if he plays then :lol:

These players wanting to leave is the issue they have bigger ambitions than the club, you think Ashley would be happy if Cabaye wanted to stay ?

Said it earlier in the thread, but it's arguably Ashley's tight arsedness and lack of ambition to win things which is getting us the likes of Cabaye, Sissoko, Gouffran, etc in the first place.

agree with this tbf

Ends on the 31st iirc.

ahem :lol:  i'm living in a vacuum man, give me a break

Guest Roger Kint

agree with this tbf

Ends on the 31st iirc.

ahem :lol:  i'm living in a vacuum man, give me a break

:lol: I wouldnt worry, it will be sorted well before that imo.

Guest Roger Kint

gutted tbh, had my heart set on him giving them a right cunting this time :(

Fwiw theres always the chance he stays til the Summer, until we accept a fee i am not worrying about it

gutted tbh, had my heart set on him giving them a right cunting this time :(

Fwiw theres always the chance he stays til the Summer, until we accept a fee i am not worrying about it

oh yeah, should have read "will be gutted" obviously - something tells me he's gonna do something against them this time and break the pardew curse

agree with this tbf

When has Cabaye's form been inconsistent with us though? He's suffered from injuries last season and our results/performances have suffered as a result. When he regained fitness he was largely responsible for pulling us out of the relegation mess. Other than last season, due to injury, he's been consistently brilliant.

IIRC we sold Cabaye the idea that he could use NUFC as a stepping stone, which is entirely why he came here. We got in early (along with Villa supposedly) and offered him the opportunity to come to the Premiership, get guaranteed first team football, and prove himself worthy of the big transfer he ultimately desires, as opposed to him playing the waiting game at Lille in the hope that a concrete offer from one of the big clubs materialized (after which he'd then have to be content trying to make a name for himself from the bench). It explains why he went on strike with the Arsenal interest because it's what he was promised. We're living up to our side of the bargain by selling him to PSG assuming any truth in this, so no complaints here.

Truth be told, part of me wants to see Cabaye sold because there's a possibility (even if a completely remote one because of Pardew) that Cabaye's direct replacement might be Ben Arfa. I know many folk think Ben Arfa doesn't have the right traits to play in the number 10 role, but we've rarely ever seen him in a deeper AM role (certainly not in the current team), and it's an area of the pitch that he often naturally drifts to to get on the ball. Plus there's no real need for a defensive shift to be put in with Tiote and Anita behind him.

When has Cabaye's form been inconsistent with us though? ....Other than last season, due to injury, he's been consistently brilliant.

has he been consistently brilliant?  i recall him being consistently better than our other players i suppose

first season he was playing in pardews fussball team so his flashes of quality were not as widespread imo, second season as you say injuries caused inconsistent form when he did play...i recall him coming back from injury in january and putting in 2-3 good performances right way then fading away fairly rapidly for the rest of it

this season been pretty great now the team plays football that suits him

Am I the only person looking forward to shuffling it about? Bring in more entertaining (Flair, skill) players to watch? I love watching Benny, Surely if Cabella is what I understand him to be based on youtube and reports it can only be a good thing?

Cabaye wants CL fooball, and he should. We should get as much as we can while we can and look to reinvest, if Cashley will. Which is the only part I worry about!

Am I the only person looking forward to shuffling it about? Bring in more entertaining (Flair, skill) players to watch? I love watching Benny, Surely if Cabella is what I understand him to be based on youtube and reports it can only be a good thing?

Cabaye wants CL fooball, and he should. We should get as much as we can while we can and look to reinvest, if Cashley will. Which is the only part I worry about!

It's interesting for sure, I just never like selling quality players.