Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

Everton have done it for years. Lescott, Rodwell, Arteta, Fellaini...as much as Martinez is saying he's not for sale, if Man City or someone offers a daft bid for Barkley, he'll be next.

But, even as Martinez concedes if they got a great offer they'd have to sell,  compare how he talks about his players to what Pardew says

"If I want a player I need to match the valuation to then put the other club and the player in a situation to make a decision," Martinez told the Sunday Mirror.

"We have never been in a situation where the valuation has been matched with Leighton.

"As a club we don't need the money. We don't need to balance the books and that is a situation we wanted to have - to make football decisions, not financial decisions.

"We don't want to sell Leighton. When you are in a position when you have to bring money then are relying on what you can sell. We are not in that position.

"We're not in talks with him about a deal. We don't have to say it publicly but nobody is for sale."

He said: "We want to have Leighton [baines] for the long term and that will never change. Tony [Hibbert] is someone we want at the club as long as we can have him.

They have an owner who actually likes the club, but isn't rich enough to be able to turn down big offers. Curious if people here would want an owner with less money than Ashley but who has our interests at heart. I would.

On the plus side at least we wouldn't have to listen to Pardew try and flog him in every press conference he gives.

It'll be someone else next. I am absolutely 100% convinced AP is on a bonus for % profit on transfers.

I really would love to know where this daft notion came from apart from ridiculous paranoia

Here's where it comes from................

AP is pretty much the worst paid manager in the top tier.

MA pays all of his key staff bonuses based on performance in every single one of his businesses.

It has been widely reported that MA has given AP an 'incentives' based contract - Llambias said so when he was in charge in his programme notes.

Given that we know the top 4 is a pipe dream and unrealistic the next best thing is Europa league which we know the club don't want. So what is AP's target? Finish as close to, but not in, the Europa League every year and he'll get what? A sports direct mug?

If MA's incentive is to tick the business over in as positive a financial state as humanly possible to attract a buyer at a premium, AP is absolutely vital in that.

Which other managers would accept their best players being sold from under them and be completely complicit in it? What is the incentive for AP?

Can only be financial. Call that paranoia if you wish. I'll call it reality.

It's utter bunkum.

We know quite a bit about Pardew and all the staff and players bonus schemes. There is absolutely sod all evidence for what you're suggesting.

Except the post by the bloke who knew Pardew was being appointed even before Hughton was sacked, where he mentioned that part of Pardew's job was to keep operating costs down.

Nothing, except that.

Guest bimpy474

They have an owner who actually likes the club, but isn't rich enough to be able to turn down big offers. Curious if people here would want an owner with less money than Ashley but who has our interests at heart. I would.

Agreed.

Yup same here, don't take a filthy rich owner to spend £4m on French players that Carr finds but it takes an owner who cares about the club to keep these type of players at the club.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/04/18/article-1378204-047961660000044D-458_468x300.jpg

Except the post by the bloke who knew Pardew was being appointed even before Hughton was sacked, where he mentioned that part of Pardew's job was to keep operating costs down.

Nothing, except that.

I also thought that's where it had originated.

On the plus side at least we wouldn't have to listen to Pardew try and flog him in every press conference he gives.

It'll be someone else next. I am absolutely 100% convinced AP is on a bonus for % profit on transfers.

I really would love to know where this daft notion came from apart from ridiculous paranoia

IIRC the original ITK predicting pardew's arrival did mention a performance-based bonus relating to the financial wellbeing of the club as opposed to the performance of the side as you might expect.

Nothing, except that.

I also thought that's where it had originated.

Hasn't someone got the quotes in their signature ?

Would be absolutely gutted if he left mid-season like. Filthy Qatari money. Fuck off.

At first it was just Parky's lamentations, but I'm starting to get a bit unnerved by the pointed aggression at Arab owners in particular. As if they're any different than any other wealthy people.

Cabaye appears to be the leader of our French foreign legion. If he goes that is sure to have a detrimental effect.

More worried that we've been fucking shite as soon as he hasn't played. His impact on the pitch is absolutely massive, we'll struggle for the rest of the season without him IMO.

He was always going to leave at some point. We can't offer him champions league, or the wages he'll get there. Can anyone really blame him or the club for accepting a bid in the region of 26m. I mean seriously?

I'd love him to stay, and I will be gutted, but unless we are playing in the CL he was never going to stay beyond the summer. I still personally think he will still be here at the end of this window, but leave in the summer. I hope anyway.

Would be absolutely gutted if he left mid-season like. Filthy Qatari money. Fuck off.

At first it was just Parky's lamentations, but I'm starting to get a bit unnerved by the pointed aggression at Arab owners in particular. As if they're any different than any other wealthy people.

In particular?