Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

Meh. Moving to P-SG seems to be best-case scenario all round like, given that he so actively wants to leave. It's a good move for him, the club will get a decent wedge out of it, and I'm sure most fans would hate for him to move to another premier league club... Shame that we can't (or won't) match his ambitions but then even if we were at our most ambitious we'd still be a million miles away from being able to compete with the likes of P-SG anyway, regardless of which league they play in. £20m seems like a fair price as long as it's reinvested. Hopefully we'll get the likes of Cabella in this month so they can settle in for next season since this season is probably going to fizzle out now anyway.

The Champions League is making the EPL like most of the other European leagues: a competition where only 2-3 teams max can have a shot at winning it.

However, the bigger problem is the farce that are the fair play rules. How are "ownership" cash gifts allowed to be counted? Man C and Chelski made how much of a loss last year?

I see it very much like the Carroll deal. He's a class player, but if we can get anything like £20m it's a fantastic deal for a player who will be 28 soon and wants out sooner rather than later. I think he'l look better playing for a European club than he will in a Pardew side anyway, so if it goes through I would just put it down to our fantastic scouting and recruitment system. Hopefully we can emulate Spurs and use the money to build a stronger squad every year.

:yao:

Guest Brazilianbob

Players leaving "feeder clubs" for the clubs that are in the CL, thus producing teams that dominate their respective leagues and the CL, was one of the reasons that the formation of the EPL was welcomed, as the Sky money allowed teams outside the top four to compete financially with the top teams.

Unfortunately the top teams embarked on a policy of buying up all the available talent to maintain their top four status by offering massive wages that the smaller feeder clubs could not afford, with the result that the top clubs have simply got riche by qualifying for the CL years on year, and so the status quo of the old first division has been restored, as the lower placed teams simply cannot compete financially.  The only way to combat this is to set a cap on the players wages, but that just isnt going to happen is it!

Guest frazernufc

It would be sad to see him go but what can you do, I suppose it would be silly to not accept £20+ mill for him considering his age and hes wants to compete in the CL. Cant really hold it against him wanting to move, he's helped in his part of the French revolution bringing players and no doubt helping players adjust to life here and considering we signing him for 4/5mill he was an absolute bargain. Probably regrets his choice to go on strike but then again no doubt that made him want to make amends and played apart in his form to start off with, we'll certianly miss him but hopefully Cabella would soon fit in.

I really hope we can keep him for the rest of the season. And during the World Cup as well actually. I was looking forward to seeing an NUFC player do the business for one of the big sides this summer. I can't say I blame him for wanting to leave as well. 8th is pretty much our ceiling for the foreseeable future and players like Cabaye can do better. I wish him well if he goes and he'll still be one of my favourite players (if he doesn't go to another BPL side that is).

Ashley will be worried though that PSG may choose to go after Hazard instead, sure other clubs like Arsenal and Man Ure would still be interested but Yo wants to go to PSG.

We will drag it out as much as we can trying to get as much as we can but at some point someone is going to have to fold.

Guest bimpy474

SSN. JFK saying no player to leave. Cabella only chased if we get an injury. Basle winger Salah interesting us. De Jong, Gladbach want £10m, we want a loan deal before permanent.

Guest reefatoon

SSN. JFK saying no player to leave. Cabella only chased if we get an injury. Basle winger Salah interesting us.

Quick, someone kneecap Lightbulb bonce.

SSN. JFK saying no player to leave. Cabella only chased if we get an injury. Basle winger Salah interesting us. De Jong, Gladbach want £10m, we want a loan deal before permanent.

Dude is still on crack apparently.

Fair enough. Bit of an odd comment regarding Cabella though - if we get an injury this month?