Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

Would be our best midfielder if he came back here, but would be absolutely staggered if that happened.

Palace seems an odd move but whatever. Would still applaud him if he did play against us for another Premier league club, even after the Arsenal incident.

Think football fans can be pretty petty about a lot of things when players move on. One bad decision off the field easily overshadows everything good done on the field for some.

Similar to how some still hold a grudge against Given for leaving. Seems mental for me given how much of a fucking shambles the club was then, and the amount of his career he'd already given (pardon the pun) us.

I saw Van Ginkle one time for Chelsea vs Man City in a pre season friendly before he got injured and he was very impressive. Controlled the midfield and was wasn't afraid to tackle. That was like two years ago so doubt he's the same now.

He's a midfielder with ability, therefore he is closer to Cabaye than he is to any of our sludge  :lol:

He has no more ability than Sissoko or De Jong do, i think you have quite an unrealistic expectation of his talent level.

It's amazing how little he knows all things considered :lol: Most local papers at least have some idea what's going on but he knows absolutely f***ing nothing.

It's staggering. Whenever anyone pulls him up on his writing ability/lack of knowledge/incoherent sentence structures he just replies 'I've been doing this for 20 years' as if that's some sort of burn  :lol:

I'm not a Geordie or from the NE but I hate the way this guy is the main representative for sports journalism up there. It's an insult to the region.

Yep.  I've heard him on Talksport before.  They were pretty much openly ridiculing him and he came across like such a mong.  Which is quite an achievement on that station.  Seeing as about 80% of their presenters are complete buffoons.  He is one of the reasons why the 'Geordie Nation' s**** gets repeated and why a lot of fans of other clubs think we're unrealistic and have high expectations, expect success etc. 

I'm sure he's been on SSN as well and he was just as bad.

How did he get that job, I wonder? 

The last time he was on Talksport he had obviously been drinking as it was late in the evening and he was unbelievably antagonistic towards the presenters who were asking reasonable questions.  I can't remember the details but just that he was so unnecessarily rude and I have never heard him on the radio since.

Always wondered why he was never been on BBC Newcastle's Total Sport - every other local journalist has.

I've spoke to him before. Trust me it's not the drink to blame.

Naturally a dickhead or summat else?

It's amazing how little he knows all things considered :lol: Most local papers at least have some idea what's going on but he knows absolutely f***ing nothing.

It's staggering. Whenever anyone pulls him up on his writing ability/lack of knowledge/incoherent sentence structures he just replies 'I've been doing this for 20 years' as if that's some sort of burn  :lol:

I'm not a Geordie or from the NE but I hate the way this guy is the main representative for sports journalism up there. It's an insult to the region.

Yep.  I've heard him on Talksport before.  They were pretty much openly ridiculing him and he came across like such a mong.  Which is quite an achievement on that station.  Seeing as about 80% of their presenters are complete buffoons.  He is one of the reasons why the 'Geordie Nation' s**** gets repeated and why a lot of fans of other clubs think we're unrealistic and have high expectations, expect success etc. 

The last time he was on Talksport he had obviously been drinking as it was late in the evening and he was unbelievably antagonistic towards the presenters who were asking reasonable questions.  I can't remember the details but just that he was so unnecessarily rude and I have never heard him on the radio since.

Always wondered why he was never been on BBC Newcastle's Total Sport - every other local journalist has.

Struggles to construct sentences verbally which probably explains why he struggles to construct sentences in print.

Struggles to construct sentences verbally which probably explains why he struggles to construct sentences in print.

Perhaps journalism wasn't the vocation he should have entered into...:lol:

I think he got away with it when he had to pass all his copy to a highly-qualified editor once every couple of days. Now he's having to chuck out his own content every day of the week and do social media. He's out of his depth.

Guest chopey

The daily mirror must be pissed off, they pay a premium for stories from Newcastle and there isn't even one on their app

Mark Douglas

When Yohan Cabaye staged his own wildcat strike at Newcastle United to try to force through a move to Arsenal, Alan Pardew apparently consulted with a senior player about the next move.

Pardew prided himself on being a players’ manager and said he was thinking of criticising Cabaye in front of the other players.

The message that came back was that Cabaye was their friend, they understood his frustration (many would hope to be moved on themselves if a Champions League club came in for them) and that being critical of him would not go down well.

So Pardew – who never publicly stated whether Cabaye was fined – backed off. Crisis averted, player appeased and then coaxed into some of his best performances – before heading off to Paris Saint-Germain.

When people ask why Cabaye would sign for Crystal Palace, that anecdote should be informative. The ex-Newcastle boss can offer three things: a team completely built around him (as it was at Newcastle), indulgence and, finally, London.

It seems clear that Pardew is pressing the issue, briefing people in South London that a deal can be done. Newcastle have been offered him too but a deal doesn’t seem so likely here.

It’s mystifying, really: bringing the midfielder back might not make financial sense but there would be a clear route to pleasing an increasingly fractious crowd.

And, more importantly, he would instantly be Newcastle’s best player.

As we stretch towards the 40th day since Mike Ashley’s end-of-season intervention and guarantee, it is starting to feel like the rest of the Premier League is increasingly moving in different circles to the

Yohan Cabaye during his time at St James' Park

Perhaps that is just the impression that early inactivity gives but Stoke’s move for Xedran Shaqiri, Palace’s for Cabaye and Swansea’s for Eder and Andre Ayew illustrate the shifting sands in the middle bit of the Premier League that Newcastle are currently battling in.

They might not come off but Stoke putting up £12m for a player of serious class, and Palace talking to Paris Saint-Germain about Cabaye back up what many in football believe about this transfer window: it’s going to be an extraordinary one.

A high-ranking official at a club not a million miles away from Newcastle in the current pecking order told me this week that many millions would be spent.

The reason? This is the year to shore up your Premier League status. With a new TV deal about to kick in, it has never been more important to separate yourself from the fight at the bottom.

The thinking for many is that spending £12m in the summer is better than getting to January and being in such a difficult position that you then need to invest double that – or more – merely to keep yourself on the top-flight gravy train.

And the cost of not being in the Premier League from the start of the season after next is going to be huge, possibly as much as £35m.

From 2016/17 even the team finishing in 20th place will pocket a minimum of £99m – which is more than the £65m QPR banked this year merely for turning up and doing a not particularly good job of fighting the drop.

Against this backdrop, United’s inaction seems puzzling. The ambition at the start of the summer was clear – six players who would mark a definitive break from the bargain buys and slightly muddled recruitment drive of 2014.

But United haven’t done more than discussed a deal with Charlie Austin yet. Old problems remain. As much as it might infuriate us, the North East is a difficult sell to players. Believe it or not, hawking Ipswich or Norwich to players is easier than Newcastle sometimes because it’s an hour away from London.

It wouldn’t be that way if Newcastle had a compelling sell, of course, but there’s too much bad feeling around the club. The way Steve McClaren’s appointment was handled was hardly proof to outsiders that a break from the negativity was on its way.

Back then McClaren spoke of a top-eight target and Cup runs. The squad at the moment is the same one that broke the record for consecutive top-flight defeats.

United shouldn’t – and won’t, if they do recruit – be in the relegation fight in arguably the most valuable Premier League season ever.

But they have a tough start and time is of the essence. Never mind repairing old wounds and convincing supporters, the bottom line is that financially it doesn’t make sense to chase the perfect deal.

The cost to Newcastle of going down next season would be huge. Surely putting it that way is converting into a language that Ashley and his cohorts understand?

Why do they always express surprise over the regime making very little effort in even pleasing the majority of the fans?

Upsetting the fans is as normal to them as to having to take a shit every day if you don't want to feel congested while suffering stomach pains.

Yohan Cabaye WOULD welcome a return to Newcastle United – but only if they can create a winning team, reckons Olivier Bernard.

United have been sounded out about a return for the Paris Saint Germain man in the last couple of weeks, but Crystal Palace and West Ham are the clubs who have shown most interest in moving for the £10m midfielder. Roma, managed by his former boss Rudi Garcia, are also in the mix.

But Bernard – who worked with the club during the first influx of French players and was regularly in contact with Cabaye – thinks he would be open to coming back to St James’ Park. And he thinks earning a place in France’s plans for Euro 2016 would be his motivation.

“Yohan Cabaye would come back if the team was right and we had the ambition to win things and challenge rather than the business ambition we have at the moment. I think he would come back to Newcastle United, without a shadow of a doubt,” Chronicle columnist Bernard said.

“So far though he would probably look at it and not be quite so sure. I can guarantee he won’t be the first signing, he would want to see what’s coming. He needs to make sure that he goes to the right club, not one that is losing every week, because he wants to be involved for France at Euro 2016.”

United are assessing their next move but after moves for a clutch of their ‘Plan A’ targets have lost momentum, they may revisit alternatives.

Cabaye was ruled out earlier in the summer but a loan option might appeal. The big rival at the moment appears to be Alan Pardew’s Palace, with the ex-Magpies chief setting out ambitious plans at Selhurst Park.

Bernard feels Pardew has joined a club on the up, and is not surprised that Palace are challenging.

“It’s a difficult decision for him but I’m not that surprised that Crystal Palace are looking at him and are making a play,” he said.

“Palace are in a similar position to Newcastle when Alan Pardew was the manager here. They have a decent squad and I think they are trying to go to the next level. It actually looks like a better squad than most and I think they will be competing in the top ten.

“For him it’s a difficult decision now but am I surprised he’s looking to come back to England? Not at all.

“He probably left for financial reasons but he hasn’t played enough for Paris Saint Germain and now he’s on the bench for France, which is not where he wants to be.”

United’s fans are frustrated at a lack of action and Bernard admits their frustration is understandable. He hopes the club decide to change tact this summer.

“Newcastle could do with a player like him but they need to change their whole business model really,” he said.

Yohan Cabaye WOULD welcome a return to Newcastle United – but only if they can create a winning team, reckons Olivier Bernard.

http://media.giphy.com/media/sOVueselOTje8/giphy.gif

http://media.giphy.com/media/sOVueselOTje8/giphy.gif

:lol: :lol: