Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

From what Cabaye told L'Equipe, Pardew has asked that he sit in front of the defence and "make the others play" i.e. be a deep-lying playmaker.

that's how i've seen him play. so doesn't really make sense to go after Matuidi unless Tiote is off.

Or we're going all Man City.

Tiote could be our Yaya Toure, start scoring us goals to win us cup finals  :laugh:

“We’re excited about Yohan,” Carver told the Gazette. “Obviously, he’s a central midfield player, and we think him and Cheik will complement each other.

“He’ll want to get forward. I think he scored something like 15 goals the season before last.

“He had a different role last season, but because of the way Cheik plays, he’ll be given licence to get forward.

“He’ll open the door for us. Last season when we played teams in the bottom half of the table at St James’s Park, they got men behind the ball and we didn’t always break them down.

“It’s difficult to break down teams like that, but Yohan can open doors for us. He’s got that vision.”

Were excited about Yohan, Carver told the Gazette. Obviously, hes a central midfield player, and we think him and Cheik will complement each other.

Hell want to get forward. I think he scored something like 15 goals the season before last.

He had a different role last season, but because of the way Cheik plays, hell be given licence to get forward.

Hell open the door for us. Last season when we played teams in the bottom half of the table at St Jamess Park, they got men behind the ball and we didnt always break them down.

Its difficult to break down teams like that, but Yohan can open doors for us. Hes got that vision.

Jesus, im so excited for the new season!

I'm not excited that we seem to be pinning our hope in beating bottom half teams at SJP on one person! :lol:

I think what he means is that last season we didn't have anyone who could "unlock" the defence.

We did til De Jong killed him :(

Guest mimifrench

Cabaye isn't at all an offensive player. He could be a link between the defense and the attack, but he couldn't play a role like Modric, i think

Cabaye isn't at all an offensive player. He could be a link between the defense and the attack, but he couldn't play a role like Modric, i think

havent seen that much of him but i agree, seems more like Xabi Alonso in that he sits back and dictates play from deep. might have been different the season before last when he scored more (though almost half were pens i remember reading) but he doesn't look like an attacking midfielder to me.

Saying that Modric plays deeper than you seem to think he does. Van Der Vaart is the more attacking midfielder at Spurs.

If he's good on the ball and a good enough passer he can easily play in the Modric role. He'll still be a central midfielder, he'll just be getting forward more than Tiote, something I'm sure he can pull off.

Guest ShearToon

I'm not excited that we seem to be pinning our hope in beating bottom half teams at SJP on one person! :lol:

Last season we seem to perform well against the tough sides to break down but mainly the games we were expecting to win we didn't.

I think this is what he's referring to.

I agree Cabaye is primiarily a defensive midfielder but Modric hasn't really played an offensive role this season either, more a of a player that links up play in the middle third with another Defensive midfielder that shields the defense (Palacios, Huddlestone for Tottenham, Tiote for Newcastle) and an attacking midfielder with little defensive responsibilities (Van Der Vaart for Tottenham, possibly HBA for Newcastle) which I could easily see replicated here at Newcastle.

Guest mimifrench

I think he was talking about Ben Arfa :)

But i was, in fact, commenting the post of Shayno, who mentioned Modric  :smiley6600:

• 2 weeks later...

They've given him the number 52?! But wasn't that supposed to be Routledge's number?!

:frantic:

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/webimage/cabayeandba_1_3560843!image/319883984.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_595/319883984.jpg

They've given him the number 52?! But wasn't that supposed to be Routledge's number?!

:frantic:

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/webimage/cabayeandba_1_3560843!image/319883984.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_595/319883984.jpg

It's impossible for Cabaye to not look flawless. Definitely the new Ginola (since they're both French and dreamy obviously).