Demba Ba (now retired)

jdckelly

The fact that this has come direct from Llambias to a journalist makes me wonder if he's on the wind-up, given Dekka's opinion on journalists generally.

He doesn't mind talking to some of them.

From what i saw of him at a west ham. and once or twice at hoffenheim (but that was maybe 2 seasons ago) I like the way he seems to win flick ons but then instead of casually just admiring them like Shola he chases after them and gets involved with the rest of the build up. Also seems to have abit more pace about him compared to best and shola. So aslong as we sign a Pacy nippy striker aswell i think he would work well as Alternate option cause he's tall and fairly good in the air.

I can see us flogging Best this summer anyway. He only featured under Pardew by default and the fact he got a few goals means we might get a decent price for him from a Championship side.

I don't think he's up to the job and suspect Pardew doesn't either- he was all set to leave on loan before Shola got injured at Fulham. Decent player as backup but can't see us resisting a couple of million for him.

The fact that this has come direct from Llambias to a journalist makes me wonder if he's on the wind-up, given Dekka's opinion on journalists generally.

He doesn't mind talking to some of them.

aye but his papers to give stuff to are usually the express or the notw given previous history

Same bloke as earlier:

@Smudge1962 Paul Smith

Newcastle have made a lucrative offer to free agent Demba Ba on Friday and expect to conclude a deal early next week.

1 hour ago via web

[asked about source]

@Smudge1962 Paul Smith

@TJR_NUFC Derek llambias. Is that good enough for you?

1 hour ago

[asked if it's just paper talk/how likely]

@Smudge1962 Paul Smith

@ollynufc180 I know they made a lucrative offer to the player on Friday and are confident of concluding a deal.

54 minutes ago via web

Guest Roger Kint

I can see us flogging Best this summer anyway. He only featured under Pardew by default and the fact he got a few goals means we might get a decent price for him from a Championship side.

I don't think he's up to the job and suspect Pardew doesn't either- he was all set to leave on loan before Shola got injured at Fulham. Decent player as backup but can't see us resisting a couple of million for him.

No chance, Best is above whatever else we currently have.

Nope, no way Best will/can afford to be let go this summer

Guest Roger Kint

One thing that looks very good is that he's not only good in the air, but he's two-footed as well. :thup:

One knee, two feet!

If we're relying on keeping Best for as anything other than injury-crisis backup next season, the transfer window will have been a failure.

Guest Roger Kint

If we're relying on keeping Best for as anything other than injury-crisis backup next season, the transfer window will have been a failure.

Are you incapable of understanding that Best is a better player than Shola/Loven therefore keeping him as back up is sensible? Nobody has said Best as first choice whatsoever.

No. You're lying.

Best started that night, ahead of Lovenkrands and Ranger. Something you should have remembered by conjuring up that complete rubbish. Pardew started him virtually every time he was fit after his first appearance back from injury, and even made noises about giving him the no.9 shirt in March.

Has anyone said that he was needed to be our frontline striker though? Hes a much, much better player than Shola or LovenKrands though, and we're in no position to be moving him on while either of those are here

Guest Roger Kint

Has anyone said that he was needed to be our frontline striker though? Hes a much, much better player than Shola or LovenKrands though, and we're in no position to be moving him on while either of those are here

Exactly, Ronaldo also is spot on. Best as a footballer pisses on what we have now

In my opinion Best has proved he should get a decent look-in next year. Not yet first choice, but knocking at the door. Don't think anybody can write him off based on what he did last year in pre-season and when leading the line.

I just think (and I said this when he was "the worst striker in the universe") he gets into good positions and is a pretty decent finisher. His first few games for us he managed to get into some brilliant positions but nothing went for him, partially down to his own ability and partially down to just plain bad luck. Then he got a run in the side when Carroll went and he was getting into the same positions but his confidence was a lot higher, he missed what was pretty much a sitter in the West Ham game which I thought would be the end of him then he got that goal and his confidence instantly went through the roof. He then had that little run and he continued to get in those positions he had since he first signed but his confidence/luck had changed and he was bringing in a good return.

Now given his past and the fact he seems like a big confidence player I do have some concerns about him doing it long term but then I think about the service he will be getting (and hopefully as the transfer window goes on this will continue to be boosted) and his obvious natural ability to find these positions and it makes me think he might just take everyone by surprise all over again and actually establish himself as a good premiership forward.

In all honesty, if we just signed Ba and went into the season with him and Best as our main forwards I would be a little worried, just think Best will be a better option than people give him credit for.

Been reading a bit more about Ba.

Apparently he's a massive egotistical c*** with a penchant for being disruptive  :undecided:

Hmmm, :undecided:

If that's so, he won't be too happy in being the second choice striker.......