Demba Ba (now retired)

jdckelly

Have to say he has impressed me from the few games i've seen him in. For free it's a no brainer really even with a suspect knee.

Now that frees up extra money to land Zog and another premium Striker.  Be very pleased if we can pull off those two signings also.

Here's the thing, do we really need a marquee name to join for a massive transfer fee, if we pack the midfield with excellent talent as we seem to be trying to do? If we create enough chances, we won't really need big names up front. If we manage to get one of CNZ or Gervinho, then I personally wouldn't be against a striker pool of Best, Ba, Long and Ameobi for next season. Obviously it would be excellent if we could fetch a big name up front, but the contingency plan, if nee f***er wants to join, isn't a bad one if we get our midfield right.

We definitely don't need a marquee name but we'll definitely need another forward with some quality.

We need a striker man. Ba is great because of this contractual sitatuation but if his knee blows we're back to square one (plus he'll be off in January too).

I'm sure we will go after another striker. 

Aye I agree we will, just responding to above poster who said we don't need another striker.

Can't really see why we would need Reo Coker.

That journalist Paul Smith said he had been spoken to Llambias yesterday so I guess he has a good source!

Agreeing terms though is not quite the same as agreeing to sign.  If he gets a better offer elsewhere .......

Reo-Coker is truly shite.

as a back up to Tiote we could do worse.

I honestly don't think he'd turn up here as backup.

With Tiote, Cabaye, Nolan (think he'll stay), Gosling, Guthrie and probably Smith all in the same boat? Don't see how he'd be coming here as anything other than another squad-filler.

Well its either first team football at QPR and the likes, rotation at clubs such as ourselves, or backup to Everton (and the likes)

Depends what he wants to do at his age, he's earned enough money. Could only see him coming in if Smith is a banker to leave.

Can't really see why we would need Reo Coker.

That journalist Paul Smith said he had been spoken to Llambias yesterday so I guess he has a good source!

Agreeing terms though is not quite the same as agreeing to sign.  If he gets a better offer elsewhere .......

only other clubs linked with him recently that I can remember are Sunderland and Everton, and wage wise we could match either of them (in theory)

Reo-Coker is shite. I really don't think you should be using "he's an upgrade on Smith" as justification for getting him.

Like for like whilst making a (small) profit plus less wages, i think it'd be a decent transition in the cover department. He's still only 27 n'all. Not past it by any means. Chance of a re-invigorating his career where it's most certainly stagnated at Villa.

Reo-Coker is shite. I really don't think you should be using "he's an upgrade on Smith" as justification for getting him.

Like for like whilst making a (small) profit plus less wages, i think it'd be a decent transition in the cover department. He's still only 27 n'all. Not past it by any means. Chance of a re-invigorating his career where it's most certainly stagnated at Villa.

for some reason I thought he was 30

He's a different league to Smith though, and as long as we keep his wages sensible (20-30) then a sellable asset, again unlike Smith.

Guest VegasToon

With Tiote, Cabaye, Nolan (think he'll stay), Gosling, Guthrie and probably Smith all in the same boat? Don't see how he'd be coming here as anything other than another squad-filler.

He is better than Guthrie and Smith.  Gosling is still a mystery as to how good he is.  Reo Coker on a free is good business. 

Less wages. Not sure about that.

Also about 0 chance of us getting money for Smith.

Guest bimpy474

Phil Babb (now an agent) reckons Ba is on around £45k.

The Mirror fella has said on Talksport that Ba agreed terms with us Friday night and reckons we have/will sign him.

Guest MrSundlofer

Aston Villa wanted to keep him but his wage demands was huge. He's not shit. He would be a good backup. Doubt we can afford his wage.