Demba Ba (now retired)

jdckelly

Demba Ba, a player recommended by Steve McClaren

Can imagine that being the case here too. I'm chuffed with this if it comes off. Will undoubtedly spend much of the time hoping his knee doesn't give up on him, but I think he'll be a big player for us if he stays fit. Two-footed, big, powerful, quick, good in the air, scores goals... has it all.

cwarr07 is a bullshitter, but he tweeted this yesterday (2nd one is from early this morning):

cwarr07 Colin

Pardew met a target today for talks #fingerscrossed #nufc

cwarr07 Colin

Pardew met with a target yesterday but it wasn't N'Zogbia #nufc

Ba looks brilliant in the air, seen no sign of a knackered knee last season and getting him for free, I just cannot see a down side to this deal.

Yes there is a worry on who else we will sign striker wise BUT I am hoping we will buy another striker and get rid of Shola or Loven.

Quoting that cwarr should be an instant ban worse than football videos and fixture lists.

Especially when it starts 'I know he is full of shit but' or any variation of that.

People kid themselves that they follow him for a laugh :(

Happy with this signing, cost relatively nowt can score goals if we can keep him fit, knee is a scary issue but its a low risk signing with a bigger upside imo.

I highly doubt he will be our alternative to Gameiro, maybe our alternative to Gervinho though. We are supposed to be looking at two strikers, bring in the Zog and another Striker and we will be looking tasty.

FWIW, Aly Cissokho and Abel Hernandez have both recently overcome failed medicals to play at a high level consistently.  A bit further back, Robert Huth failed his medical when Boro first tried to sign him.

Depends on the situation and the injury, but it is by no means a guarantee of future problems.

In the last 4 years he has played just over 27 games a season, that's not THAT bad for a supposed cripple.

Considering he's been failing medicals since 2009 he's done alright. With the right clauses in the contract he's a great signing.

Great goalscoring record throughout his career too. Even if he is missing games he seems to score enough when he is fit to be worthwhile.

Didn't realise he was at Watford ealier in his career.

Quoting that cwarr should be an instant ban worse than football videos and fixture lists.

Especially when it starts 'I know he is full of shit but' or any variation of that.

People kid themselves that they follow him for a laugh :(

Actually I only followed him because I saw Mark Douglas arguing back but couldn't see the other half. Pure laziness keeps him here.

Guest Sadoldgit

So should we really be signing a player with a Ledley King knee?

Especially when we are already "carrying" Ben Arfa & Gosling of who we have no idea how fit they will be.  Shola can never get through a sesaon.  Best has had an operation and only played 25 mins after it, Lovfenkrands legs have gone and as for Kufki say no more.

Massive risk with Ba - unless - someone else comes in as well up front.

So should we really be signing a player with a Ledley King knee?

Especially when we are already "carrying" Ben Arfa & Gosling of who we have no idea how fit they will be.  Shola can never get through a sesaon.  Best has had an operation and only played 25 mins after it, Lovfenkrands legs have gone and as for Kufki say no more.

Massive risk with Ba - unless - someone else comes in as well up front.

I really think this is an opportunistic signing as the player is on a free and the club he was with were relegated, BA wont be the "new" main striker we are needing.