Demba Ba (now retired)

jdckelly

We missed Leon best last Saturday, that's not to say either of the front two were poor, they just weren't quite what we needed for the majority of the game.

I'm not too sure tbh. Between them Ba & HBA created a goal, our best chance, and hit the post.

As well as Best's done the past 12 months, against the real top clubs I think we need a bit of genuine class which those two have.

Ben Arfa wasn't on the pitch when we scored.

I took "between them" to mean that one or the other contributed, in fairness. Ba assisted the goal.

:thup:

As mentioned there was confusion on the identity of Perch. :laugh:

I'm a massive Best fan, I think he offers us a presence, his hold up play is usually superb and he's a beast in the air, constantly rowing with those around me who slate him for the entire game.  However, going 4-4-2 against Man U away is a bit optimistic and I think HBA is starting to show he's getting somewhere near to his best, I'd play him.  I also feel with Best in the team, we revert to hoof ball tactics a lot of the time and against Vidic, I can't see it working.

In time, I would like to see how we get on with HBA, Best and Ba all on the same pitch.  Still baffled by Pards' comments about HBA not being able to play on the wing, really restricted himself now.  I personally would love to see him get a go on the right.

I'm a massive Best fan, I think he offers us a presence, his hold up play is usually superb and he's a beast in the air, constantly rowing with those around me who slate him for the entire game.  However, going 4-4-2 against Man U away is a bit optimistic and I think HBA is starting to show he's getting somewhere near to his best, I'd play him.  I also feel with Best in the team, we revert to hoof ball tactics a lot of the time and against Vidic, I can't see it working.

In time, I would like to see how we get on with HBA, Best and Ba all on the same pitch.  Still baffled by Pards' comments about HBA not being able to play on the wing, really restricted himself now.  I personally would love to see him get a go on the right.

Agree, I'm a massive Best fan but against Man Utd I would let HBA continue in the team, see what he can produce. Against Chelsea I'm not sure, their defence can be vulnerable to direct play so Best might play a part.

Agree, I'm a massive Best fan but against Man Utd I would let HBA continue in the team, see what he can produce. Against Chelsea I'm not sure, their defence can be vulnerable to direct play so Best might play a part.

Against Chelsea's lumberers, I think pace is the way forward personally. They're good physical CBs but they play that high line, that's something a quick forward can really capitalise on.

Against Chelsea's lumberers, I think pace is the way forward personally. They're good physical CBs but they play that high line, that's something a quick forward can really capitalise on.

:thup:

If Pardew was watching the game on Sunday he would have been licking his lips at the prospect of HBA, Jonas and Obertan running at their back four.

It's the centre of defence that's vulnerable for Chelsea, not the full-backs.

Agree but I do think the fullbacks are contributing to a shoddy looking defence at the moment. Cole seems to be struggling with direct players which will hopefully bring a big performance out of Obertan (I'm sure you'll be the first to point out Routledge up against Cole last year). If we can get the three I mentioned running at their defence and worrying them, Ba could have a field day up against Terry and Luiz. Ben Arfa will certainly scare the hell out of them if we can get him on the ball in behind their midfield.

I haven't been overly impressed with Cole this season, the whole back 4 are adjusting to an unfamiliar style.

Obertan back will be a massive help as noted it's quick players like Bellamy, Suarez, Gervinho and Walcott that have caused the most problems to them recently, so I'm hoping we start with Obertan, Jonas and Ben Arfa all on.

Cole is of course a world class left back, however, he is only human and it is just the laws of science that if you are a defender facing one way and an attacker knocks the ball past you and runs on at pace, you are going to struggle. Routledge against Cole last season is a perfect example - no football fan in their right mind would ever suggest Wayne is a better winger than Ashley is a left-back, but he caused him real problems that day.

EDIT - Just remembered that this is the thread about Demba Ba, apologies. Demba is good  :D