Demba Ba (now retired)

jdckelly

It would be far too narrow down the middle, let's the opposition defense and holding midfield handle you easily due to lack of space.

But lets say we use Jonas and Tiote as holding midfielders.

Then we can send Debuchy (god bless him, and sign the dotted line you sexy fucker!) & Santon up as wingers.

Then we have width, also, HBA will drift in the hole (awaiting mccarthy gif), using the space left at the wide positions. Same goes for Cisse/BA, more fluid system up front. Cabaye will advance centrally.

I dont see why a rejuvenated Ba would not do well in a 433 formation, so I think Pards quotes should be taken to mean that we will revert to 442 or that Ba will replace Cisse as the centre focal point. 

I don't like either of those options.

Sorry my bad, it should have been "so I think Pards quotes should NOT be taken to mean..."

My point is that the quotes could mean a variety of things and nobody knows how Pardew wants to play Ba for the new season, so it's all speculation at this point.

Hopefully pardew is only saying this now so Ba wants to say. Then he goes like "HAHA" and sets him on the bench :D

Yeah, that would be ridiculously funny.

:iamatwat:

Wouldn't make sense either, given that Ba is far more versatile than Carroll and neither would be happy sitting on the bench. Carroll would want the same thing Ba supposedly wants but with far less flexibility with regards to fitting him into the side. Complete non-story.

Guest James1892

Galatasary signed a forward this morning, Amrabat I think he's called. Reckon this would end their (supposed) interest in Ba?

It would be nice to think that with Cabaye and Tiote adjusted to the rigours of the prem we could play a four four one one with demba coming back to help out and playing between the lines when we have the ball. If Manu and Shiteh do It why can't we??

Would take big cojones to do so given the results of the 433 last term...

Not by any stretch am I saying we should be selling him, but I am slightly concerned about his form at the back end of last season. I'm hoping he can pick it up again, but there's this slight niggling worry that his early season form may have been a purple patch (although his career to date suggests otherwise).

He may have been due a rest but his touch, passing, movement, and finishing all looked laboured, and he seems to make strange decisions, like shooting from nowhere when he has options ahead of him for the pass (did it against Fener as well). Possibly thinking too much and just needed a goal, but it's a worry for me.

Hopefully first game of the season he'll put that thought to bed.

Galatasary signed a forward this morning, Amrabat I think he's called. Reckon this would end their (supposed) interest in Ba?

They've also signed Burak Yilmaz who was top scorer in their league last season. Happened a week or so ago I think.

Not by any stretch am I saying we should be selling him, but I am slightly concerned about his form at the back end of last season. I'm hoping he can pick it up again, but there's this slight niggling worry that his early season form may have been a purple patch (although his career to date suggests otherwise).

He may have been due a rest but his touch, passing, movement, and finishing all looked laboured, and he seems to make strange decisions, like shooting from nowhere when he has options ahead of him for the pass (did it against Fener as well). Possibly thinking too much and just needed a goal, but it's a worry for me.

His form dipped, but I wouldn't say I'm 'concerned' about it. Look at when he first joined, we thought we'd got ourselves a duffer and he was never going to cut it. Several amazing goals later he's the talk of the town. If he doesn't want to leave for money, I'm sure he'll stay and work through his bad patch.

His form dipped, but I wouldn't say I'm 'concerned' about it. Look at when he first joined, we thought we'd got ourselves a duffer and he was never going to cut it. Several amazing goals later he's the talk of the town. If he doesn't want to leave for money, I'm sure he'll stay and work through his bad patch.

I really hope he does, of course. It's just a niggling thought I can't shake.

Not even slightly concerned about Ba's form in the upcoming season. Think we'll see him re-energised and lethal again. The lad's a really natural striker of the ball with good movement and excellent technique. His form in the latter part of last season was probably his worst form over the past few years, it's meaningless

Guest James1892

They've also signed Burak Yilmaz who was top scorer in their league last season. Happened a week or so ago I think.

Great, there's one supposed link cut off then. I don't honestly see him leaving anyways, if someone wanted him they'd have came in for him already.

It's the other way round in my opinion as Ba's scored around 1 in 2 wherever he has gone. He's a class player and I thought his all round play while out of position were all very good in the 2nd half of the season, he just couldn't seem to find the back of the net.

It's the other way round in my opinion as Ba's scored around 1 in 2 wherever he has gone. He's a class player and I thought his all round play while out of position were all very good in the 2nd half of the season, he just couldn't seem to find the back of the net.

Spot on, purple patch :lol:

Michael Ricketts mark II

Not even slightly concerned about Ba's form in the upcoming season. Think we'll see him re-energised and lethal again. The lad's a really natural striker of the ball with good movement and excellent technique. His form in the latter part of last season was probably his worst form over the past few years, it's meaningless

Not sure it's meaningless as it basically confirms his fitness isn't quite up to playing a key role for a full season. He'll need a break here and there.

I'm not concerned too much, though. I can see him really looking the part again during the first part of the season. Great player, as you say.

I'm sure I'm wrong, and obviously hope I'm wrong. As I said, his career to date suggests otherwise, it's just a niggling feeling I have as he went from absolutely outstanding to pretty poor towards the end of the season. I don't particularly think his all round play whilst out of position was that great either. He was fairly decent when he first moved out wide, but he got progressively worse as the games went on IMO. Was making incorrect/strange decisions, and was the one going forward that slowed our attacks down if anything. He looked like he was thinking too much. Probably needed a rest, which is why we could do with another quality striker.

He'll prove me wrong within a week of the new season :)