Demba Ba (now retired)

jdckelly

Anyone got any idea's on the “I was very determined because lately I have not been so happy with some things. Some things have been going on. When I got my boots on, I couldn’t wait” line?

Like any good pro, disappointed when he's not in the starting eleven I'd imagine.

I have no problem with Ba being a bit moody at all. He's a winner, he's been that type of character all along. I remember Pardew mentioning his personality being his biggest asset. He thinks very highly of himself, he's very confident. He's had a tough spell since Papiss arrived, that's no secret. Him proving to himself, Pardew and us that he's as good as he showed last autumn is probably the only thing on his mind. Of course he's angry with being left out.

Excellent response. We had one of the top strikers in Europe when he was on form last season, hopefully getting back to that now that he might feel more settled again.

Another good thing: this puts a bit of pressure on Cissé. He'll want to make a case for himself.

"How could you put your best striker with full confidence on the left wing?" added Gontran.

"The choice to put Demba on the left last season was good for the club, because Cisse scored 13 goals."

I think you've just answered your own question there, mate.

Guest Rey Mysterio

The finish for the second goal was really classy. Changed at the very last second to get the ball under Howard, the finish of a confident striker!

I'm fine with an angry Demb.  The fact of the matter is he came back from the ACON looking well knackered and could have scored a few great goals had it not been for some posts and some bad luck. 

But having said all that, this is the first time he's looked like his old self.  So keep it up - Get that "I'll show you" type anger back like he had last 1st half of the season when he seemed like a man trying to prove a point to the world.  There is no resting on laurels in this crazy game. I hope this is the start of him and our squad getting back to form.

I'm fine with an angry Demb.

Absolutely. I just think he's temperamental. If he is in a bad mood, it'll sometimes work against us and be irritating, but on other occasions it'll galvanise him - like it did last night. If he's in a good mood (which, tbf, has been the vast majority of the time), he's a real asset to the side. We all know his quality; it didn't just disappear.

If Pardew manages to find a way to play him and Cisse together, it'll be fantastic.

"How could you put your best striker with full confidence on the left wing?"

Yep.

Because it was good for the team, that's 'how'.

We were 5th before Ba got shunted out on the wing. We were hardly struggling.

It was good for the team. I'm sick of this notion that Ba's got a right to moan about being played in any position and sulk, he's a professional footballer.

"How could you put your best striker with full confidence on the left wing?"

Yep.

Because it was good for the team, that's 'how'.

We were 5th before Ba got shunted out on the wing. We were hardly struggling.

Actually we was 7th and it got the best out of Cisse, Ben Arfa, Cabaye and Jonas and we won 6 or 7 in a row, it was clearly what was best for the team at the time.

What is best for the team is more important than what is important for one player.

The first goal was classic evidence of them being able to play together btw, two great runs to split the defence and give Cabaye an option.

AYe, first thing that strikes me for that goal was the two offering different options and not going for the same ball.

Was it them two ahead of Ben Arfa when Jones stupidly didn't give the advantage on the breakaway? That was just magnificent thinking - Benny in the middle and the two in wider positions.

Actually we was 7th and it got the best out of Cisse, Ben Arfa, Cabaye and Jonas and we won 6 or 7 in a row, it was clearly what was best for the team at the time.

What is best for the team is more important than what is important for one player.

We were 5th after Villa where he started upfront, with Best, and scored. We went unbeaten in the league for 3 months with Ba upfront (and no Ben Arfa) too.

It was good for the team. I'm sick of this notion that Ba's got a right to moan about being played in any position and sulk, he's a professional footballer.

If I was in the form of my life I'd not want to be moved out of position. He deserved better than that after his first 6 months.

The thing that annoys is people say it like Ba was solely playing on the left for that period. That simply wasn't the case.

He and Cisse swapped roles many times during games, just Cisse took his chances whereas Ba didn't.

If Ba had scored regularly during that period this wouldn't be the issue that it has become.

The thing that annoys is people say it like Ba was solely playing on the left for that period. That simply wasn't the case.

He and Cisse swapped roles many times during games, just Cisse took his chances whereas Ba didn't.

If Ba had scored regularly during that period this wouldn't be the issue that it has become.

Pretty much bang on.

The front 3 was constantly interchanging, said it before Ba's problem was confidence and fitness more than actually playing on the left.

Also i'm aware we was 5th when we beat Villa but when we changed to 4-3-3 and went on that winning run we was 7th.

Anyway it's not really the point, the club is more important than any one player and it was clear that at the time getting the best out of Cisse, Ben Arfa and Cabaye was better for the team than what was best for Ba.

It's not like he was stuck out on the left wing all game with no freedom of movement anyway, he got into central positions consistently.