Sylvain Marveaux - arrested

Guest neesy111

Barely seen him all game. I like the lad but he needs to get involved more.

Disagree thought he didn't get the ball much admitably but always did something worthwhileish with it

Like what? I remember  a couple of nothing balls, a couple of balls to feet, but 'worthwhile' ? I'm struggling. I don't think he was poor, but as an a creative player are member nothing of note?

Loads of times yet again where he drifted into good areas but didn't seem to be demanding the pass (i.e. he just looked happy to let play bypass him).

Not sure this is ever going to change.

I haven't seen the game, but you would have expected both him and Ben Arfa to provide some cutting edge to the attack, so if they didn't then they haven't really produced the goods. Neither really seem to like going wide which is half the problem I suspect.

Guest bimpy474

He was poor first half, and just as he was getting better and looking brighter, Pardew hauled him off.

I'm not going to have a go because it was his first game for ages, and Pardew has hardly used him in pre season either. The lads had no football.

Loads of times yet again where he drifted into good areas but didn't seem to be demanding the pass (i.e. he just looked happy to let play bypass him).

Nah. He was visibly frustrated when people ignored him in good areas, and he was always asking for the ball. He did that really well, actually - moving into great positions in-between the lines.

Nah. He was visibly frustrated when people ignored him in good areas, and he was always asking for the ball. He did that really well, actually - moving into great positions in-between the lines.

:thup:

Fair enough if that was the case, I only saw what the TV provided and found myself getting frustrated at him for not signaling for the ball a few times.

I really like him as a player but just didn't feel like he wanted to grab the game by the scruff of the neck there, good that it sounds like I got the wrong impression.

He was poor first half, and just as he was getting better and looking brighter, Pardew hauled him off.

I'm not going to have a go because it was his first game for ages, and Pardew has hardly used him in pre season either. The lads had no football.

I thought that the best pass in the first half, possibly the game, was Marveaux to Ben Arfa.

Barely seen him all game. I like the lad but he needs to get involved more.

Disagree thought he didn't get the ball much admitably but always did something worthwhileish with it

I agree. Used the ball very intelligently.

Mick Lowes was being very critical today, said he was just returning the ball to whoever give him it all the time and not wanting to run at his marker.

I'd be more interested in the opinion of someone with some football knowledge. Mick Lowes would probably be a good listen if you wanted info about pies and darts.

Mick Lowes was being very critical today, said he was just returning the ball to whoever give him it all the time and not wanting to run at his marker.

I'd be more interested in the opinion of someone with some football knowledge. Mick Lowes would probably be a good listen if you wanted info about pies and darts.

Mick Lowes the same man that kisses Pardew's ass day in and day out and does nothing but toe the official line.

Guest bimpy474

I thought that the best pass in the first half, possibly the game, was Marveaux to Ben Arfa.

I forgot that, struggling to remember it now........still think he needs time on the pitch, something Pardew doesn't give him enough off.

He is a professional footballer who should be able to play a position he is forced to play in. Like people have said, he was too eager to return the ball from where it came (generally without even turning around), watching the game bypass him and generally playing hide and seek either on the wing or when he came inside. He did better in the 2nd half and was subbed at his best but it was far below what he should have offered, again.

The fact I'd pick Obertan or Sammy over him (let alone Gouffran or Vuckic) speaks volumes. A scapegoat yes, but he was very poor for a large part of his performance.