Sylvain Marveaux - arrested

Guest neesy111

So by challenging for 50/50s teams are being "dragged into a physical battle" now :lol:

Football pitches at the top level are quite large areas mate. Only an utter twat would set up teams to challenge for 50/50s instead of exploiting that area :lol: :lol:

I just dont think hes confident enough in himself.

He's a good set piece taker, yet today our best chance on goal from a set piece & he was outgunned by Bigirimana a 19 year old to take it. Hes 27 man.

Raylor would've been all over that & rightfully so. You have to know your strengths & believe in them.

What utter s***. Bigi took that because it was best suited for a right footer. 5 yards to the right and no doubt Marveaux would have taken it. FFS.

:lol: You seem offended? It was barely to the left, as i say Raylor wouldnt care where it was. Marveaux is our first teams set piece taker when he actually plays the majority of the time, he should have the confidence in himself from that range. Do you think Cabaye, Barton, Solano, Raylor etc would have let a younger lad have a punt because he did well in reserve games? I doubt it.

marveaux is probabaly the set piece take for delivery when he plays but i'm not sure about shots at goal. fairly sure bigi has taken a few when the shots been on when in the europa etc. always been there or thereabouts aswell. closer than ben arfa normally gets.

Just find it odd, perhaps Bigi is mint at them in training also. The idea of set pieces being to take a standing ball & aim for a specific area makes it a bit strange to then opt out of having shots on a goal. The mentality of it seems a bit different.

Probably overthinking it, still seems odd. He was a different player when he first joined, looked much more lively before his injuries & his touch was outstanding. Might just be a lack of game time as people have mentioned.

He hardly ever plays so it doesn't help.  I'd say it must be something that's happening in training if I had any faith in the manager, but I don't.  He should have had loads more minutes last season and we'd be closer to telling the calibre of player he is.  In and out of the side constantly and it just seems a waste of time.

Weak useless player. Granted he played 2 or 3 good passes since he has been here, but last night was another invisible man performance. It was almost as if soon as Debuchy got taken out he got scared and lost interest. The amount of times he lost the ball by turning around back to his own goal and taking too long to pass. Pardew should have took Marv off for Benny and left Goofy on.

I've never seen him play well on the wing. Front of the middle 3 on the other hand he has been class before.

But Pardews glasses are all style and no vision.

Weak useless player. Granted he played 2 or 3 good passes since he has been here, but last night was another invisible man performance. It was almost as if soon as Debuchy got taken out he got scared and lost interest. The amount of times he lost the ball by turning around back to his own goal and taking too long to pass. Pardew should have took Marv off for Benny and left Goofy on.

He's got great technical skills with the ball at his feet but his all round game isn't good enough IMO, another player far too old to be playing like a kid.

Marveaux was undeniably underwhelming, but far from the worst on display. He had his moments last night - remember him making a great burst through the middle only for him to pass it forward to Gosling who lost the ball under his feet. Also thought his delivery from corners were good. If used properly (and that's a big if, admittedly), he's still a good asset.

Needs to show he can contend a 50/50 properly.

We'd be better off signing a Morecambe player if that's a yardstick.

I'm a big fan of Marveaux, but he has to show something in a 50/50 to justify playing in a midfield 3 imo. Even Juan Mata can come out with the ball in a 50/50 sometimes

From what I've seen, Marveaux will pull out of some 50/50s, he definitely did yesterday. He defends more positionally than by tackling so if you want a player to win tackles he's not your man. I thought other that that though he handled the physical side ok. When he had the ball he shielded it quite well and didn't get dispossessed that much.

Guest Phil K

i think the game over here is too intense for him. too quick, too hard. it's what mapou,debuchy and sissoko are coming to terms with and may not get there. cabaye adjusted very quickly, i think he's a one off for that.

I'll ask you the same question as earlier. Why do the better passing teams seem to have more time on the ball? I don't see Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool or Spurs getting dragged into physical battles. We spend millions yet still end up looking like Southampton under Pardew. Why is that do you think?

Absolutely. However you look at it, Pardew is the major symptom and cause - NOT a cure

Thought he was invisible in the first half, although his corners were decent (througout). He improved in the second half but was still fairly quiet.

His performance summed up the game really: shite first half, mediocre at best second half.

No Manchester United player is allowed to shirk physical confrontations. From 1 to 11 they won't do it. They simply won't be out worked 90% of the time. Out of all their wingers Nani is the least receptive to 50/50's and he memorably got sent off for competing decently for one. With Valencia, Young, Welbeck, RVP and Rooney in advanced areas you can't pretend only Stoke players should be able to do anything off the ball.

No Manchester United player is allowed to shirk physical confrontations. From 1 to 11 they won't do it. They simply won't be out worked 90% of the time. Out of all their wingers Nani is the least receptive to 50/50's and he memorably got sent off for competing decently for one. With Valencia, Young, Welbeck, RVP and Rooney in advanced areas you can't pretend only Stoke players should be able to do anything off the ball.

He's not a Man U calibre player, if he was he would be playing for a CL club. He's got a lot of ability but he is never going to be a player who gets stuck in, it's just not in his make up. Our version of a hard working winger would be Jonas.