Sylvain Marveaux - arrested

Guest neesy111

Will be off in January if the situation doesn't change. He'll show his quality providing he picks his next club wisely.

I don't think the situation will change, he is mostly invisible with some glimpses of quality that leads to nothing. Had a few good games (Arsenal 7-3 at least), but not enough to warrant anything near the starting line-up. Could be a great buy for some club, though.

Yeah he's a tidy player but I think he's lost his chance. He'll never be first choice and I think we could replace him fairly easily. Could see something like a loan move to Lyon in January with Gomis signing for us on a permanent deal or something daft, similar to the Barton/Mbia thing with QPR & Marseille last season.

I've read people describe him as "class" but I can't remember him ever having a big impact on any of the games he has played for us. For me he's never really taken his opportunities. His best position appears to be through the middle, not the wing. A couple of good passes now and then during a game isn't enough. He just doesn't seem cut out for the Premiership. If we sell him it will probably be to a club in France. I don't think it would be very hard to replace him. In his defence he is probably our best corner taker.

Tbf to Marveaux, our lack of movement in the team when he has played hasn't exactly helped him either. A very good player in the right setup imo.

Doesn't excuse his lack of effort though.

Tbf to Marveaux, our lack of movement in the team when he has played hasn't exactly helped him either. A very good player in the right setup imo.

Doesn't excuse his lack of effort though.

funny how some of those being given an easy ride because of others poor movement were part of the problem in having poor movement.

I think Gouffran's running has made Marveaux look a bit of a shirker in comparison. Still would be a good option from the bench though when the game has opened up a bit.

I'd like to see him on the bench still, he can at least be a good creative option for us.

Guest icemanblue

Going by our recent performances, he really doesn't fit our game plan at all. We're not good enough to accomodate a luxury like him, unfortunately.

I've seen enough of Marveaux that tells me that he's a neat, tidy player and is one you would have in the squad, purely because of his creativity. For me, we only really see his best form when he gets a consistent run of games - the only way imo to get the best out of him is to play him week in, week out - it would help his confidence and helps him to get his groove on. We definitely saw a bit of this last season when he was getting his games, he became our main creative outlet more or less (especially when Cabaye and Ben Arfa were out injured).

After an indifferent start this season though, he has really fallen down the pecking order (pretty obvious that Sammy is now ahead of him) and that is a shame to see really.

the only way imo to get the best out of him is to play him week in, week out - it would help his confidence and helps him to get his groove on.

:thup: Stupid for people to criticise his lack of consistency given he hasn't been given a consistent run of games. In the little pitch time he was given last season he was consistently one of our most creative players in terms of chance creation/assists.

Watch Swansea snap him up in either of the next two transfer windows and turn him into a consistent "over achiever".

He would be excellent there. Look at what Laudrup gets out of Routledge and Dyer, two significantly inferior players.

Going by our recent performances, he really doesn't fit our game plan at all. We're not good enough to accomodate a luxury like him, unfortunately.

Pardew isn't good enough to construct a side which would get the best out of players like Marveaux, more like.

Who would you drop for Marveaux and how would we line up?

Sissoko                Cabaye

Marveaux

HBA        Cisse/Gouffran          Remy

With Tiote/Anita making way - For most home games, at least.

If Marveaux actually made an impact in the games he had played he may get a run in the side. Even when he has played for the whole game in cup games against lower league opposition he hasn't made much of an impression.

He's made a very good impact overall considering his limited gametime. This season he's had a couple of average showings in games in which the whole team performed poorly, mostly.

Cup games seems to be something we struggle with across the board, bit harsh to single him out for that.

All this talk about Swansea where would he play? They have at least 3 better wingers and Michu is so far above its not even point discussing.

He's a good squad option, that's it.

I haven't completely written off Marveaux as a wide forward, but personally I'd have Michu as the CF with Marveaux as the furthest forward in midfield  :razz:.