The other games today - 2011/12

Baggio

I'd love to see the reaction on here if we scored early on away to City and defended for the rest of the game, winning 0-1.

Biased little creeps.

Considering how much we dominated Man U in the last game, do you think it would have been a good idea to sit back after Ba's goal, and invite them onto us? Essentially what Liverpool did tonight, after having it so easy early on.

Yeah, because playing Man U at home is comparable to playing City away.

If there is a time to attack in a two legged aggregate tie, it is definitely when you are on top in the away match. City coming back and scoring an equaliser would not have been overly damaging. Liverpool scoring a second may have ended the tie. They might regret it in the second leg.

Spurs winning the league would probably be good for football but it would be disgusting seeing Redknapp getting his hands on the trophy.

Agree. I'd quite like Spurs to win it out of the clubs involved in the chase but Redknapp... eurgh.

I'd love to see the reaction on here if we scored early on away to City and defended for the rest of the game, winning 0-1.

Biased little creeps.

Considering how much we dominated Man U in the last game, do you think it would have been a good idea to sit back after Ba's goal, and invite them onto us? Essentially what Liverpool did tonight, after having it so easy early on.

Yeah, because playing Man U at home is comparable to playing City away.

Come off it that City team was awful, home or not.

This is the worst 'in hindsight' argument i've ever read. f***ing woeful.

They won the game and did so fairly comfortably. End of argument.

No, if I was in hindsight would be me saying oh they were right to sit back so deep when i was thinking it would backfire on them during the game. Changing my mind afterwards because it didn't would be 'in hindsight'.

Ultimately City didn't carry much threat, and I will conceed as such that Dagliesh got it right, but I think he was reasonably lucky to do so, as usually city will have a goal in them. I think they could have piled on the pressure but didn't seem to have the will or ability to do so. I think they won boring, without a great margin for a second leg which could have a strengthened city.

Spurs winning the league would probably be good for football but it would be disgusting seeing Redknapp getting his hands on the trophy.

Agree. I'd quite like Spurs to win it out of the clubs involved in the chase but Redknapp... eurgh.

Precisely.

They were nullified, but have to hope Silva won't be back for the second leg and doesn't score 2 goals. I wouldn't bet too much against it. They had their chance against an out of sorts city to twist the knife and didn't, I think it's a risky plan.

They were made to look even more awful due to the fact they were simply unable to break through a compact defence. It's beginners stuff this.

They were at their worst in the first half, because they were playing the likes of Savic, De Jong and Johnson instead of Kompany, Toure and Silva.

This is the worst 'in hindsight' argument i've ever read. f***ing woeful.

They won the game and did so fairly comfortably. End of argument.

No, if I was in hindsight would be me saying oh they were right to sit back so deep when i was thinking it would backfire on them during the game. Changing my mind afterwards because it didn't would be 'in hindsight'.

Ultimately City didn't carry much threat, and I will conceed as such that Dagliesh got it right, but I think he was reasonably lucky to do so, as usually city will have a goal in them. I think they could have piled on the pressure but didn't seem to have the will or ability to do so. I think they won boring, without a great margin for a second leg which could have a strengthened city.

You are trying to say Liverpool would have won by more goals had they not shut up shop :lol:

Had they attacked the game could have opened up, City would have had more space and the game would have been completely different. Liverpool could have won 4-0, they could have lost 5-1 as City's tails go up after equalising on the break. Nobody knows, but the facts are Liverpool DID win away at City using their boring tactics. How many other sides have done that this season?

Football isn't a binary thing, I understand they would be more vulnerable to a counter attack, but their linking play between defence and attack was poor all game. It is possible to find a lot of degrees between shutting up shop and recklessly attacking, they are not the only options, otherwise football would be a very very boring sport. Liverpool have won the battle but have left themselves open to losing the war, when they had possibly the best opportunity they're ever likely to get to put the tie to bed.

Football isn't a binary thing, I understand they would be more vulnerable to a counter attack, but their linking play between defence and attack was poor all game. It is possible to find a lot of degrees between shutting up shop and recklessly attacking, they are not the only options, otherwise football would be a very very boring sport.

Good post. Liverpool did a good job, but don't think they got the balance right second half.

Thing is I would agree with you, if City were playing like the best side in the league, then absolutely they should have taken 1-0. But they weren't, and what if they are playing like they did in that 3-0 victory over Liverpool by the time the second leg comes around? City were awful, and Liverpool were overawed.

Guest kingdawson

Soldado never looked like missing, what a player man.

Harry not fancy unsettling him? I'm sure he's "heard" about Valencia's financials.

Maybe but he's a paocher and we need a like for like for Ade so probs not.

Anyway Rakitic has made it 1-1.