Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

I think Colo from 2010-12 is untouchable. Better than Woodgate in most areas.

Colo couldn't lace a fit Woodgates boots.

A fit Woodgate could barely lace his own boots due to his glass-like physique.

Colo over Woodgate every time in my all time 11.

:thup:

Never seen a defender classier than Woodgate on his day. Absolutly stunning talent. Agree with Crumpy on this one.

It wasn't just his presence, calm, timing and positioning but his uncanny ability to make everyone around him rise up closer to his level. Colo has never really organized and inspired his defence like Woodgate did.

Never seen a defender classier than Woodgate on his day. Absolutly stunning talent. Agree with Crumpy on this one.

It wasn't just his presence, calm, timing and positioning but his uncanny ability to make everyone around him rise up closer to his level. Colo has never really organized and inspired his defence like Woodgate did.

Steven Taylor and Willo say hi.

I don't see why any two supremely talented centre-backs couldn't play together - cos that's what those two were at their prime. Especially providing they were supported by a cohesive front six (/eight inc FBs), that didn't fall to bits after every possession change.

Colo is the best defender Newcastle have ever had, better than Woodgate in my opinion. Woodgate's fitness was obviously his biggest downfall as Colo has been pretty damn good in the fitness area for the most part.

Anyhoo, it's a pointless argument but I'm just glad he's back.

Could Woodgate and Coloccini have played together in their primes?  I reckon they could've done, Woodgate was good aerially and they'd have made a smart partnership.

Those two in their primes were just too good for it not to work.

Given the choice obviously Colo has been the better defend for us and Woodgate was a crock. But Woodgate was better imo.

Willo and Taylor have at best looked solid but still liabilities. It was a different kind of calm and assurance Woodgate eased into our backline.

Woodgate had a heart made out of cheap fibreglass. Total waster of the pitch, but I've gone into that too many times to do it again.

That's rubbish man.

I've never seen Woodgate actually frightened of an opponent like I have with Colo a few times.

Dear me, Woodgate was far better than Colo. If he'd stated fit he'd have been one if England's best. When we signed him the people at Leeds all agreed Man U had signed the wrong defender. I can remember back to the mid 70's and Woodgate stands head and shoulders over any other defender I've seen. He was majestic. Everything was so easy for him. Colo is a completely different player to the one we first seen play for us but honestly, he's not in Woodgate's class.

Woodgate had a heart made out of cheap fibreglass. Total waster of the pitch, but I've gone into that too many times to do it again.

That's rubbish man.

I've never seen Woodgate actually frightened of an opponent like I have with Colo a few times.

:thup:

On their day Woodgate was better iyam. Shame his day wasn't that often.

He was also a better leader too.

:thup: Woodgate was phenomenal.

:thup: Woodgate was phenomenal.

Laurent Charvet for me like

I'm in the Woodgate camp, absolutely immense when he played. Can see him being a Tony Green type character years down the line 'never saw him play but my father reckoned he was the best defender he'd ever seen for us' :lol:

I loved Woodgate, but people are seriously forgetting how good Colo actually was for us under a long period of time. He was excellent for us for over 12months and performed day in day out. I'd probably have Colo in my team if I had to pick one of the two because you don't find many classy defenders like Colo.