Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

Yeah but I'm not saying lessons need to be learnt like we need to spend £25m on Debuchy, Douglas and Remi or whatever, I'm saying we need to not leave ourselves short.  That might mean stopgaps, loans, etc - it doesn't matter, but we can't leave ourselves exposed because every signing needs to perfectly aligned to this model of ours.

I do agree that lessons most likely won't be learnt whatoever though, if we have an injury crisis then fuck it we'll struggle but we'll manage.  It's disappointing.

Looks like we're going to have to count on your youth players a lot this season (which isn't necessarily a bad thing imo). However, we really can't be counting on the like to just immediately step up to the plate - whilst on the one hand, it would be a good experience, it could equally be a bad experience for them on the other.

As it stands, our defensive options (that is, those are who currently fit and assuming Colo is actually injured) are:

Saylor, Williamson, Perch, Tavernier, Santon, Ferguson, Good, (Anita) [i've put him there because he is a good contingency plan for RB], (Jonas)

Our defence will most likely be:

Anita    Saylor    Williamson/Perch*  Santon

*Depending on the opposition

With that in mind, our backup options would be one of Perch/Williamson, Tavernier and Good which I suppose isn't too bad. An injury to Perch/Williamson/Saylor though and we would definitely be in the s***.

Its every year with these internationals. The players aren't up to full fitness and the national sides take the piss.

Let them have at least 8 games before forcing internationals onto them.

Internationals are shit anyway.

Only a tiny proportion of these internationals are even competitive. UEFA really needs to introduce a preliminary round to weed out the tiny nations who simply don't have a hope in hell of qualification.

Its every year with these internationals. The players aren't up to full fitness and the national sides take the p*ss.

Internationals are s*** anyway.

Yeah. I despise them more and more with every season.

Its every year with these internationals. The players aren't up to full fitness and the national sides take the piss.

Internationals are shit anyway.

Couldn't agree more. International football should be on off-season game.

All qualification campaigns to be played during the summer and possibly introduce a winter break for it. Get the whole lot out of the way and then let the clubs, the ones who pay for the players services, get on with their seasons.

That's how it is done in international basketball, indicentally, and it works rather well. The qualification tournaments are also immensely more entertaining than the current format in football where you play a shit team once every 2 months.

However, the FAs would have to give up on most of the money-spinning friendlies they shoehorn in the international breaks, and they just won't do that.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know when Colo is due back?

From today's Chronicle:

"Pardew is hoping that Fabricio Coloccini, Cheick Tiote and possibly Tim Krul – linked with a move to Barcelona yesterday by the London media – are back after the visit of Norwich City with games against Man United in the League Cup and a trip to Reading to come hot on the heels of this week’s packed fixture list."

Anyone know when Colo is due back?

From today's Chronicle:

"Pardew is hoping that Fabricio Coloccini, Cheick Tiote and possibly Tim Krul – linked with a move to Barcelona yesterday by the London media – are back after the visit of Norwich City with games against Man United in the League Cup and a trip to Reading to come hot on the heels of this week’s packed fixture list."

:dowie: and here we go again.