Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

poor defending by him for the goal

Whatever his strengths, he's always been poor at defending set pieces. Previously, we've worked around that at free kicks, and not asked him to mark any of the better headers of the ball among the opposition. This season I don't think we've been protecting him so much and it cost us yesterday. It nearly cost us at Scunthorpe.

Nolan and Barton were quite good at helping out at set pieces so maybe we've not got much choice. But if it's about Colo becoming captain and feeling he needs to set a good example then we need to think again.

yup, two errors, one at scunthorpe where a poor clearance by him, they put back into the box and they scored, then yesterday he was nowhere near the man he was meant to be marking who got a free header.

Didn't help that Krul was in no man's land though.  Should never have got lobbed like that.

Guest icemanblue

Whatever his strengths, he's always been poor at defending set pieces. Previously, we've worked around that at free kicks, and not asked him to mark any of the better headers of the ball among the opposition. This season I don't think we've been protecting him so much and it cost us yesterday. It nearly cost us at Scunthorpe.

Nolan and Barton were quite good at helping out at set pieces so maybe we've not got much choice. But if it's about Colo becoming captain and feeling he needs to set a good example then we need to think again.

yup, two errors, one at scunthorpe where a poor clearance by him, they put back into the box and they scored, then yesterday he was nowhere near the man he was meant to be marking who got a free header.

Didn't help that Krul was in no man's land though.  Should never have got lobbed like that.

This is not the time, my friend.

This is not the time, my friend.

Sorry for the bump, will revert to transfer posts only from now on  :lol:

Radio Newcastle said prior to the Fulham match that contract negotiations had already started for both Colo and Jonas.

Have we managed to agree a new contract for any "high" earners under Ashley?  It seems to be only the youngsters and lower paid players who agree new contracts.

It will be interesting to see what happens as I cannot imagine Colo getting the reported £80k a week elsewhere.

You'd like to think they'd realise just how important he is and that we could stretch to one big wage player.  :undecided:

Not holding my breath.

But then they all want that much and the club implodes as it can't say no.

The board loves talking about value for money, well even on his current wage Colo is worth every single penny, he is such a massive player for us we need to make sure he stays. The wage bill has been trimmed enough and come the end of this season the departures of Smith and Lovenkrands will have helped, we should use their wages to go towards Colo's new contract if need be

Though I know there is next to no chance he will sign a contract extension and no doubt there will be some who think he is a greedy cunt that is trying to bankrupt the club

What's really makes him valuable is that he's never injured...If he had been as injury plagued as Arteta I would have been against a renewal of his existing terms. But Colo plays every week,  he is the glue that keeps the defense together..I actually had no problems with us selling Barton and Enrique, but I would be fucking livid if I see Colo in a LFC shirt..He's the classiest defender in the league, and got the greatest hair, period!

Guest Randy Savage

Mackem here in peace.

I think FC is by far your best player like. Looked superb at the SOL. He's on a canny wedge though isn't he?

Mackem here in peace.

I think FC is by far your best player like. Looked superb at the SOL. He's on a canny wedge though isn't he?

Reportedly 80k a week BUT worth it imo, he is one of the best defenders in the league and it is only fair that his wage reflects that

He'll either be leaving in the summer or seeing out his contract and then leaving. There is no way in hell we will offer him another contract on his current wages.

Same goes for Jonas I suppose, although I imagine his wages aren't quite as high.