Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

On Coloccini's contract, the Newcastle boss said: “We’ve not been told no [he doesn’t want to sign it]. We hope by the time the transfer window ends that situation will have been resolved.”

What's the transfer window got to do with it?

:undecided:

Pardew should have said "we hope he signs by the end of next month". Pardew has come out with weird stuff before, I'm hoping this is just one of those kind of comments.

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/12/18/alan-pardew-is-confident-of-deal-for-coloccini-79310-29971586/

Who knows what Colo has been offered.  It said in the Sunday Sun yesterday that he had been offered a pay rise.  I am sure when he first arrived it was reported he was on £40k a week but over the last 4 years that figure has gradually increased and the highest I have seen quoted is £85k.  If he is on the lower figure then it would be plausible tha the has been offered an increase but obviously not if the higher figure is true.

"As revealed in the Sunday Sun last month, United have offered the Argentina defender a five-year contract to end his career at St James’ Park.

But he is yet to ink the deal, which would see a salary bump for Newcastle’s captain."

Greedy cunt [getitinearly]

I believe he likes it here and will stay if the offer is right (the same as Enrique btw). I am therefore 99% certain that what we are offering constitutes a pay cut, otherwise it would be signed already. As such, though I assume your post is meant as a joke, unless there is a satisfactory conclusion to these negotiations it will end up being what people say I'm afraid. 'If he likes it so much, he'll take a pay cut' etc. Seen it a few times already.

Guest Heneage

Greedy c*** [getitinearly]

I believe he likes it here and will stay if the offer is right (the same as Enrique btw). I am therefore 99% certain that what we are offering constitutes a pay cut, otherwise it would be signed already. As such, though I assume your post is meant as a joke, unless there is a satisfactory conclusion to these negotiations it will end up being what people say I'm afraid. 'If he likes it so much, he'll take a pay cut' etc. Seen it a few times already.

Sorry but I have to disagree with the first line. Enrique was never going to stay here. I've seen rats flee a sinking ship with more decorum than the way he left.

Alternatively the comment about the transfer window could mean that Colo remains to be convinced of the direction the club is heading in (where have we heard that before?) and wants to wait and see who is bought and sold before committing what will probably be the rest of his career to us.

Greedy cunt [getitinearly]

I believe he likes it here and will stay if the offer is right (the same as Enrique btw). I am therefore 99% certain that what we are offering constitutes a pay cut, otherwise it would be signed already. As such, though I assume your post is meant as a joke, unless there is a satisfactory conclusion to these negotiations it will end up being what people say I'm afraid.

Blates a joke.

I was firmly in the Jose camp last summer (I think with a bit of persuasion he could've been kept) and I'll be in the Coloccini camp this summer more or less regardless. Both rightfully know their worth and although they may like it here (I believe Colo does but I thought Jose was fine here too) it's up to the club to resell itself to the player and show its hand and intentions. If NUFC intentions are moving onwards and upwards in league by keeping our best (and genuinely he is, as Jose was) players on not outrageous terms he'll stay, if they're not he'll leave for a better club and good luck to him.

If Coloccini does leave to a CL club who are we to have a go? He's performed admirably here and turned his shaky start more than around and I don't begrudge him a pop at the big time if NUFC can't match his ambitions. The question is do NUFC want to match his ambitions in the first place.

It just a shame in situations like these we don't know the details. Are they club dragging their heels? Is the player being genuinely greedy? Do the club really want rid? Will they make the player the scapegoat? So many questions, so many answers we can only but speculate on.

Bit of a ramble that like.

Sorry but I have to disagree with the first line. Enrique was never going to stay here. I've seen rats flee a sinking ship with more decorum than the way he left.

Really, when was this?

Agree to disagree, I've never changed my stance on Enrique. Apart from the Twitter comments right at the end he said fuck all either; he and his agent kept quiet despite months of speculation and a running commentary from our manager. Funnily enough pretty much the exact opposite of Barton who was roundly criticised for making it all public. Strange, that.

Anyway let's not go back into that.

Alternatively the comment about the transfer window could mean that Colo remains to be convinced of the direction the club is heading in (where have we heard that before?) and wants to wait and see who is bought and sold before committing what will probably be the rest of his career to us.

Liking the sound of this view. It actually puts me at ease now.

Guest VaVaVoom

This.

I think he is genuinly a decent fella and he likes it here.

It is only right that he waits and sees what the club are going to do in the window, whether they will match his commitment and ambition.

Not worried by that comment at all. Reckon it could be as simple as more talks are planned over the next month and we hope to have him signed up by then.

Fingers crossed.

He is an absolute joy to watch and one that makes me proud as a Newcastle fan and call me a romanticist but one I'd pay OTT to keep because I value that more than the break even point.

Not worried by that comment at all. Reckon it could be as simple as more talks are planned over the next month and we hope to have him signed up by then.

Hopefully that's the case, but the offer's been on the table at least two months now (we found out directly from Pardew on 20th October). What's so special about January?

It's the same old question - what do the club (or rather Ashley) want to achieve?  It has been said that they are now looking to finish in the top 7 - if that is the case then it won't happen if they keep selling their best players.  At present, I do think we are probably the 7th best team in the league but sell Tiote and Colo and then we will drop very quickly.

If Ashley is purely looking to get his money back, then the players will go as soon as he gets an acceptable offer.

If the main aim of the club is to develop players for profit, then they should not be moving them on until we have replacements ready to step up, otherwise each time we sell we are taking a gamble and Ashley's luck will run out at some point.

Hopefully that's the case, but the offer's been on the table at least two months now (we found out directly from Pardew on 20th October). What's so special about January?

It's been mentioned before about his agent been tricky to communicate with, could be something to do with him coming over for talks to iron anything out with the contract? I don't know why but I reckon we've actually made him a good offer, could be just a few minor things that need sorting and Colo isn't in any great rush to sort them as he's comfortable they'll be sorted when his agent comes over. Just all speculation obviously but I don't think it's anything to worry about yet.

Liking the sound of this view. It actually puts me at ease now.

Really? :lol:

In the summer everyone on here were saying how there were no excuses and the investment of the Carroll money directly into the first team would prove how committed the club was to pushing for more than just survival. As it happens we're doing really well anyway, but it may be that Coloccini wants to know that the money we still have available will be spent to ensure we push on from this position, like many of us do. I'm unconvinced anything will change this January.

Agree to disagree, I've never changed my stance on Enrique. Apart from the Twitter comments right at the end he said f*** all either; he and his agent kept quiet despite months of speculation and a running commentary from our manager. Funnily enough pretty much the exact opposite of Barton who was roundly criticised for making it all public. Strange, that.

Anyway let's not go back into that.

I think the players are not allowed to discuss their contracts in public (obviously Barton had own agenda where he was concerned) which seems unfair seeing as Pardew and the club are able to say what they want.

It's been mentioned before about his agent been tricky to communicate with, could be something to do with him coming over for talks to iron anything out with the contract? I don't know why but I reckon we've actually made him a good offer, could be just a few minor things that need sorting and Colo isn't in any great rush to sort them as he's comfortable they'll be sorted when his agent comes over. Just all speculation obviously but I don't think it's anything to worry about yet.

He was mentioned by Pards to be in deepest, darkest Argentina aye.