Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

Our most important player by a mile.

Which is why we should pay him £70k a week for another two years at the very least.

For once I agree with you. Hes worth 100k a week if thats whats going to keep him here.

Our most important player by a mile.

Which is why we should pay him £70k a week for another two years at the very least.

For once I agree with you. Hes worth 100k a week if thats whats going to keep him here.

It's an issue I was trying to discuss last week. Apparently the club want him to take a £30k wage cut, which in principle is fair enough.

The inevitable departure of Smith will free up £60k a week - half of which would be equivalent to said pay cut. I don't see where else we could find a player of Coloccini's quality and importance with an outlay of less than £15m over four years.

Currently our most important player. Id rank the players like this.

1. Frabicio Coloccini

2. Demba Ba

3. Tim Krul

4. Cheik Tiote

5. Yohan Cabaye

6. Jonas Gutierrez

7. Steven Taylor

Thats how i would currently rank our most important players.

I honestly believe it's not the money we'd be paying Colo rather than Ashley not being prepared to break the new wage ceiling at Newcastle. Because cost-wise, even if we matched his current salary of say 80k a week, it would cost a lot more to replace him. You'd have to pay at least a £5m fee, big wages and the fact that Colo NEVER gets injured for more than a week or two at most....that's worth millions in itself. I haven't even mentioned the effect he has on the pitch where his presence would guarantee us a higher place in the league no question.

Unbelievable player, easily the best defender I've seen play for us. Not particularly strong, tall or quick for a centre half, but the way he just snuffs out danger and deals with everything with ease at the back is incredible really. And then he has the ability on the ball to start our attacks from the back, make random surges up the left wing and get himself out of tight corners with drag backs and back heels. Brilliant again on Saturday, as he has been for pretty much every single game this season. We have to give him a new contract, get Smith out and give the extra money to Colo.

On Coloccini's contract, the Newcastle boss said: “We’ve not been told no [he doesn’t want to sign it]. We hope by the time the transfer window ends that situation will have been resolved.”

What's the transfer window got to do with it?

On Coloccini's contract, the Newcastle boss said: “We’ve not been told no [he doesn’t want to sign it]. We hope by the time the transfer window ends that situation will have been resolved.”

What's the transfer window got to do with it?

Convenient irrelevant excuse to throw in the mix. If they'd wanted him signed it'd have happened by now. Shit and predictable really, be interesting to see what happens.

May be reading more into it but it could mean it's "sign it or go". Can't see Ashley sitting fiddling his thumbs whilst his contract ticks down to zero. If it's clear that he's not going to sign it then he's out of the door imo.