Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

Optimistic Nut

Could Obertan be the only signing in an advanced position, then? Wonder if the emergence of Vuckic and the planned role for Ben Arfa off the striker means we might go with Ba, Ameobi and Best as the three actual/main striking options.

I have thought that might be the case for some time. The striker pursuit has been half-hearted IMO. There doesn't seem to be any clear target we are pursuing.

Could Obertan be the only signing in an advanced position, then? Wonder if the emergence of Vuckic and the planned role for Ben Arfa off the striker means we might go with Ba, Ameobi and Best as the three actual/main striking options.

This is a very VERY scary thought.

I have thought that might be the case for some time. The striker pursuit has been half-hearted IMO. There doesn't seem to be any clear target we are pursuing.

I do genuinely think Gameiro, Gervinho or Erdinc would have come here had they wanted to and I think our interest in all of them was serious.

:anguish:

Think we'd be dead certs to go down if that were the case.

:lol:

Unforgivable if so. Probably a season ticket snapper for some.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I think with the away thing what he means is that well be 442 at home and 451 away and well need plenty more pace when going 4-5-1.

Pace in great abundance with Marveaux, Ben Arfa, Obertan and Jonas on the offensive. Obviously not all playing at the same time though.

Nah.

We would like. There's simply not enough goals in the team at the moment.

Ba, Shola, Best and Lovenkrands??? Howay man. :lol:

Come off it man

Certainly a possibility. That said, if a significantly better striker (such as Sturridge) suddenly becomes available for reasonable money, I'm almost certain we'd still be in for them.

I do genuinely think Gameiro, Gervinho or Erdinc would have come here had they wanted to and I think our interest in all of them was serious.

But seeing as how they didn't want to come, shouldn't we be targeting strikers who do? They aren't the only strikers out there surely?

They got 25 in the league last season  :troll:

I must be on smack or something, because I still think the midfield/forward options we have at the moment match or even better what we had last season. In that area we've currently brought in Ba, Cabaye, Marveaux and Obertan for Carroll, Nolan, Routledge and Lua Lua. I admit Shefki Kuqi is yet to be adequately replaced...

The proof will be in the pudding, but every time I look at that part of the squad on paper it looks exciting to me.

They got 25 in the league last season  :troll:

Ben Arfa? Marveaux? Cabaye?

Horribly pessimistic, even for you. I can't actually believe you're serious. Wigan? QPR? Norwich? Swansea? Wolves?

Madness.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

We'd be playing 4-5-1 anyway. Ba and Best are good goalscorers.

Vs Carroll, Shola, Best, Lovenkrands last season and only Shola, Best, Lovenkrands from January onwards..