Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

Optimistic Nut

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Reckon he will come off the bench actually. Could be an excellent impact player if nothing else.

Pace can hurt teams late on.

Aye. We've got quite a good bit of pace in our squad now. Very important part of the game.

I am sure some don't look at other teams whilst dooming us to relegation :lol:

Can anyone honestly say there isn't 3 teams in the league that can't match a group of players like Ben Arfa, Jonas, Tiote, Colocinni, Ba, Cabaye, Barton, Enrique.

In fact those coming up and the likes of Wigan would love players like S Taylor, Williamson, Best, Gosling, Marveaux, Obertan etc..

Can anyone honestly say there isn't 3 teams in the league that can't match a group of players like Ben Arfa, Jonas, Tiote, Colocinni, Ba, Cabaye, Barton, Enrique.

In fact those coming up and the likes of Wigan would love players like S Taylor, Williamson, Best, Gosling, Marveaux, Obertan etc..

I agree with you but it was our "team" that got us relegated last time, not the individuals. For the record i don't think we will go down but we could take some time to gel.

Also seems a bit unfair to saddle us with 'second season syndrome'. Not like it's our first time in the EPL, other way round, the season in the Championship was the anamoly.

As pessimistic as i get sometimes, i keep reminding myself that the 3 teams coming up really arn't as strong as we were and then add in the wigans(no n'zogbia) etc and we should be fine bar a mass injury crisis, but then again who wouldn't be in trouble with loads of injuries except the top 4

Guest BenArfa10

Could someone post a radio link for AP's quotes re Obertan or if that is not allowed on this site, direct me to a site where I could find them, thanks

Just as an example but Fulham do pretty well every season but barring maybe 2 players (Hangeland and Dempsey, maybe Dembelle sp?) I think the shit would hit the fan if we signed any of their players.

How much have you seen of the lad IP? You seem distraught at the signing.

I'm not distraught at the signing, I'm distraught at the situation and where we're heading.

It's not an ambitious signing, it's taking a punt on a 'never-was' who looks to be on the way down and I think we can do far, far better.  I've seen him play a few times, no more no less, and I appreciate there's an outside chance he could prove me wrong.  It annoys me that we're taking the risk when we should have enough money set aside, we've had since January to think about this and also the fact that we have/had players on the books that are getting shipped out and are far more likely to get you goals and perform.  I also think it's ominous that Ferguson's had a good look at him and is happy to ship him out on a permanent transfer.  But as I say, good luck to him, we'll have to go with it.

How much have you seen of the lad IP? You seem distraught at the signing.

I'm not distraught at the signing, I'm distraught at the situation and where we're heading.

It's not an ambitious signing, it's taking a punt on 'never-was' who looks to be on the way down and I think we can do far, far better.  I've seen him play a few times, no more no less, and I appreciate there's an outside chance he could prove me wrong.  It annoys me that we're taking the risk when we should have enough money set aside, we've had since January to think about this and also the fact that we have/had players on the books that are getting shipped out and are far more likely to get you goals and perform.  I also think it's ominous that Ferguson's had a good look at him and is happy to ship him out on a permanent transfer.  But as I say, good luck to him, we'll have to go with it.

He's got about 20 million internationals ahead of him over there!

He asked to leave in Jan cause he wanted more football.

The point is Jon that we should be looking to push on but I'll be delighted with another 11th-16th finish as things stand.

As long as he is better than Routledge then is good business.

We should be worrying less about who players are better than and more about whether they are good enough to get us where we want to be, imo.

I think that if we'd added one or two players of genuine quality, these 'punt' type signings wouldn't be opposed by so many on here, that's where most of the angst seems to stem from.

It's excellent business then.

We should be worrying less about who players are better than and more about whether they are good enough to get us where we want to be, imo.

We rarely see eye to eye do we Wullie. :lol:

We've whinged about squad depth for how long? And people are throwing their toys out the pram because we've added a squad player just because he hasn't set the world alight at ManU?

:nope:

As things stand he's replacing a valuable first team player ffs.  And Parky, why didn't Ferguson send him out on loan, it's not like he isn't fond of doing so.

Agree with you and sometimes the thought of relegation seems ridiculus.

Saying that, who would have thought that, a team managed by Kevin Keegan, with players like Given, N'Zogbia, Milner, Viduka, Martins, Duff, Barton, Beye and of course Owen would get relegated?

Things can change so quickly in football.

We've whinged about squad depth for how long? And people are throwing their toys out the pram because we've added a squad player just because he hasn't set the world alight at ManU?

:nope:

As things stand he's replacing a valuable first team player ffs.  And Parky, why didn't Ferguson send him out on loan, it's not like he isn't fond of doing so.

Because the lad asked for a transfer.

I agree BUT, had we sold Routledge and not replaced him people would have cried about it, even though he would not really have kicked a first team football.

No harm at all bringing this lad in to replace him.

I am not over joyed by this signing at all but as long as he is not the only signing before the window is closed then no harm no foul..