Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

As long as he is better than Routledge then is good business.

We should be worrying less about who players are better than and more about whether they are good enough to get us where we want to be, imo.

I agree BUT, had we sold Routledge and not replaced him people would have cried about it, even though he would not really have kicked a first team football.

No harm at all bringing this lad in to replace him.

I am not over joyed by this signing at all but as long as he is not the only signing before the window is closed then no harm no foul..

I suspect he'll be dressed up as 'the striker'. Hoping, obviously, to be proved wrong.

I think we will push on and if the players we have signed so far can adapt their talent to the premiership quickly we have improved.

Also believe that Ba is massively over rated and his injury problems don't sound far off the reported problems Carroll apparently has.

Maybe I just have my head in the sand, I fully admit I prefer to hope things will work out rather than be a 'realistic' and expect the worst until proven otherwise.

I can see why people are pissed off this wasn't N'Zogbia, we should have been able to get him and we know he is class already so no gamble but there does seem to be an overly harsh opinion from some on Obertan despite many only seeing him a hand full of times when he is getting a rare start/few minutes. A few of our top players would be squad players at man utd so I don't see why a 'reject' automatically means he won't be able to cut it here. The Smith, Butt etc.. comparisons also seem a little silly.

I think that if we'd added one or two players of genuine quality, these 'punt' type signings wouldn't be opposed by so many on here, that's where most of the angst seems to stem from.

You're probably not far off.  People keep going on about us having to be cautious about adding to the squad because we're paying players like Smith, R Taylor and Lovenkrands substantial amounts of money which means they should apparently be in our 25.  Well the players that we sign should be able to walk into the side and plug the gaping holes then, otherwise it's a massive punt and potentially another waste of a shirt.

We've whinged about squad depth for how long? And people are throwing their toys out the pram because we've added a squad player just because he hasn't set the world alight at ManU?

:nope:

As things stand he's replacing a valuable first team player ffs.  And Parky, why didn't Ferguson send him out on loan, it's not like he isn't fond of doing so.

Such a negative guy.

As long as he is better than Routledge then is good business.

We should be worrying less about who players are better than and more about whether they are good enough to get us where we want to be, imo.

I agree BUT, had we sold Routledge and not replaced him people would have cried about it, even though he would not really have kicked a first team football.

No harm at all bringing this lad in to replace him.

I am not over joyed by this signing at all but as long as he is not the only signing before the window is closed then no harm no foul..

I suspect he'll be dressed up as the striker. Hoping, obviously, to be proved wrong.

IF that happens it WILL boil my piss but I am hoping its more a case of replacing Routledge in the squad.

Guest BooBoo

In terms of excitement about incoming transfers this guy will be somewhere between a Danny Simpson and a Leon Best.

We've whinged about squad depth for how long? And people are throwing their toys out the pram because we've added a squad player just because he hasn't set the world alight at ManU?

As things stand he's replacing a valuable first team player ffs.  And Parky, why didn't Ferguson send him out on loan, it's not like he isn't fond of doing so.

Such a negative guy.

:lol: I wasn't negative for a whole season and a half not too long ago.

Guest Heneage

In terms of excitement about incoming transfers this guy will be somewhere between a Danny Simpson and a Leon Best.

If he performs like Leon I'll be more than happy.

Think realistically where ManU are and the type of squad they accumulate season to season he doesn't have it to compete for a first team place there. Simple as that.

But in our current predicament and the clowns running the club I'm thankful for small mercies.

I think he's decent and has time on his side.

Think realistically where ManU are and the type of squad they accumulate season to season he doesn't have it to compete for a first team place there. Simple as that.

But in our current predicament and the clowns running the club I'm thankful for small mercies.

I think he's decent and has time on his side.

Fair enough and fingers crossed.  I still don't think we need to be signing damaged goods in the situation that we're in, but hopefully this gives us more money for a striker.  I'm also hoping Barton somehow stays and doesn't cause any disruption now because we could definitely do with him in the squad.

Lads. I've seen him every time he's played including this years pre-season. He's been impressive about twice in competitive play. Once in the league cup and the other in the CL against Wolfsburg (a game where Owen scored a hat trick). His debut consisted of him missing from 4 yards out, shooting when he should be squaring and running straight out of play with the ball when under no pressure. It hasn't got much better since then.

He's not a good player. We'd snap your hand off to recoup the money for him.

Hope you're wrong, but what you've described sounds a bit like the winger equivalent of Alan Smith. And not meaining to mock Smith further, but we do need to remember that whenever Smith has been linked to another club, the messageboards for that club tend to be filled with hopeful posts of Smith still being a decent, hard working player who just hasn't been given a chance here. This is despite every NUFC fan in the universe knowing what a disaster of a footballer Alan Smith is.

At the same time though, wouldn't you have said the same about Diego Forlan, who couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo when he was shipped out to Atletico?

I'm annoyed about it because if we're only getting in 2 more players and he's one of them, then I'm not happy. If we sign 2 players in addition to him (of a certain quality) then I will be pleased to have squad depth.

Been told there will be 4 in total before the end of the window including 2 big names.

I'm annoyed about it because if we're only getting in 2 more players and he's one of them, then I'm not happy. If we sign 2 players in addition to him (of a certain quality) then I will be pleased to have squad depth.

Been told there will be 4 in total before the end of the window including 2 big names.

Skirge doesn't count, mate.

Skirge doesn't count, mate.

eh?

Mate does a bit of business with Chatty man's dad and last week he was adamant we'd sign 4 more players and 2 would be big names (could greek young uns with long names mind!)

Lowes asked Pardew about Obetan and he confirmed he was signing on monday and he harked back to the end of last season when he said he thought we lacked pace to hit teams on the break away from home in particular and that was one of the main reasons for signing obertan.

Said he'd signed Cabaye to control games and obertan to hit teams with pace on the break.