Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

Optimistic Nut

IMO that cross for Ba's goal is a prime example of bad wingplay. He was away down the right and had the perfect oppotunity to whip it in across the 6 yard box with either his first or second touch (so two opportunities), we had two players running into the box (Ben Arfa near post, Ba goalside of his marker at the back post) at this point so he should have put that ball in with the two of them open. Furthermore Ben Arfa then drops back, providing a perfect opportunity for a cut-back as he's unmarked (similar to the first goal) - so that's the third opportunity. Yet Obertan, on his own planet, slows down and waits for defenders to get into position whilst he does his stepovers. The fact that we scored is entirely down to a combination of Ba's prowess, Cahill being very slow to react to a ball he should have comfortably dealt with (possibly a slip or off balance), and probably a big slice of luck, as it looked deflected/took a strange bounce into the top corner.

It was Simpson not Ben Arfa who dropped off. Ben Arfa was further back behind ba & he played it directly into the path Ba made his run into. Theres nothing to criticize about it if it works, fair enough if it doesnt. No chance you can call it bad wingplay.

Obertan slated for creating scoring opportunities now :lol:

I know right. The stupid boy got an assist, but it was the wrong assist!

Yes coz that what is being said. Look at the replay, what is being said is that he had loads of time and space to put the ball in early, coz Tiote's pass had taken out the nearest defender to him. Instead when in acres of space, he checked back did a few step overs and then puts it in. Fair enough he got the assist but if he keeps slowing down the play and not putting the ball in early, then he won't get too many. New rule that we can't criticize a player if he gets an assist?

Can't really knock the lad for putting a ball into a dangerous area and Ba scoring off it!

He could have played the ball earlier but there's always the chance it'll be blocked by the full back. And to play it earlier would be to put the ball in at a different angle. It's hard to whip it in with pace and get a good curl on the ball. If you fancy yourself to get closer to the byline and still put the ball in then it's going to be harder to defend than a cross from deep where the defender has everything in front of him as does the keeper. The closer you get to the byline, the more defenders are worried about the cut-back as well as the ball across the 6 yard box and that gives strikers options and terrifies defenders. So I can't knock him for wanting to get closer to the byline and putting a ball in. If he keeps doing that we'll get goals.

Overall he was very hit and miss and until the assist I thought he'd had a poor game like most of the team. He was an outlet with his pace, always looked for the ball and was very involved in the game but was wasteful. Seems stupid to try and put down his one contribution to the match though, simply because he didn't put it on a plate or give Ba an easy tap in. I'm sure Ba isn't complaining about the delivery.

Obertan's gonna continue to frustrate and divide fans' opinions but I don't think he's a player to give up on yet. He's young and learning the game. I remember when many of our fans slated Milner repeatedly for getting to the byline and not putting the ball in, instead he preferred to skin his man again and again and show off and the attacks broke down. He was a constant source of frustration and divided fans. It was a genuine problem in Milner's game for a couple of seasons and it took him a long time to learn the game and play his best football. When he began to play to his strengths and play for the team he ended up at Man City. In time I think Obertan will get better, this is his first real run of games in the Premier League. He's a completely different player to Milner but you get my point, some players need time to see their potential and fans write them off very early. I remember when people questioned Bale's ability too.

About ten people near me were booing him when he clapped the fans at the end, fucking embarrassing like.  He's not great by any stretch, but there is no need for that.  Wasn't sarcastic jeering either, full on booing  :embarrassed:

Sorry like but this is disgraceful. Our fans can be fucking wankers at times.

About ten people near me were booing him when he clapped the fans at the end, f***ing embarrassing like.  He's not great by any stretch, but there is no need for that.  Wasn't sarcastic jeering either, full on booing  :embarrassed:

Sorry like but this is disgraceful. Our fans can be f***ing wankers at times.

I did chirp up and say which cunts are booing him, few lads in the row behind shut up.  Wasn't many, but there shouldn't be any fans booing a player, after a 2-0 away win and getting an assist, regardless of how poor he is.

Guest alijmitchell

I dare say that you'd be pretty fucked off if you were going to clap the fans after an away win in which you set up the second goal and some cunts were booing you.

About ten people near me were booing him when he clapped the fans at the end, fucking embarrassing like.  He's not great by any stretch, but there is no need for that.  Wasn't sarcastic jeering either, full on booing  :embarrassed:

Sorry like but this is disgraceful. Our fans can be fucking wankers at times.

agreed. not on that, especially when he's contributed to a win.

About ten people near me were booing him when he clapped the fans at the end, f***ing embarrassing like.  He's not great by any stretch, but there is no need for that.  Wasn't sarcastic jeering either, full on booing  :embarrassed:

Absolutely no need for that especially when we had just won and he contributed to that with an assist. Idiots.